Subject: [BEHAVE] RFC 5389 on Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5389

        Title:      Session Traversal Utilities for NAT 
                    (STUN) 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg, R. Mahy,
                    P. Matthews, D. Wing
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Characters: 125650
        Obsoletes:  RFC3489

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-18.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5389.txt

Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) is a protocol that serves
as a tool for other protocols in dealing with Network Address
Translator (NAT) traversal.  It can be used by an endpoint to
determine the IP address and port allocated to it by a NAT.  It can
also be used to check connectivity between two endpoints, and as a
%keep-alive protocol to maintain NAT bindings.  STUN works with many
existing NATs, and does not require any special behavior from them.

STUN is not a NAT traversal solution by itself.  Rather, it is a tool
to be used in the context of a NAT traversal solution.  This is an
important change from the previous version of this specification (RFC
3489), which presented STUN as a complete solution.

This document obsoletes RFC 3489.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:13:39 -0600

I just wanted to tell you and all the other folks that worked on STUN  
a big THANKS. I know it was a long road but I'm really glad to see  
this key part of the whole NAT traversal solution done and published.

Thanks, Cullen

---

From: "Bruce Lowekamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:17:04 -0400

Echoing the congratulations and thanks for the work.

Would have sent this out earlier, but I think we've all been too busy
updating all the drafts that reference 5389!!!

Bruce

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I just wanted to tell you and all the other folks that worked on STUN a big
> THANKS. I know it was a long road but I'm really glad to see this key part
> of the whole NAT traversal solution done and published.
>
> Thanks, Cullen
>
>> For searching the RFC series, see
>> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.