Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D posted: draft-thaler-ipv6-saf-01.txt

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:57:53 -0800

I've just posted
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-ipv6-saf-01.txt

This topic is definitely relevant to NAT66, and potentially to some
use cases of NAT-PT  replacements, so I'm putting this up for discussion.

Abstract:
   There are various recent proposals that would result in IPv6
   translation becoming permanent.  RFC 3424 discusses UNilateral Self-
   Address Fixing (UNSAF) mechanisms which are required for applications
   to work with most translation schemes, points out a number of
   problems with them, and requires an exit strategy for any UNSAF
   mechanism.  This document discusses an alternative to UNSAF
   mechanisms should IPv6 translation become permanent.

-Dave Thaler

---

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:54:44 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-ipv6-saf-01.txt
The notion of Self-Address Finding (SAF) is IMO important.
Knowing one's global address(es) even if the local address space is 
different, is BTW a key feature of what I am trying to propose with SAM.

Minor point:
In the Fate-Sharing item in 3.2, It seems to me that what is important 
is to have SAF working  "as long as translators do access networks 
behind them" (i.e. not depending on some servers behind them being also 
operational)" .
This should be more in line with  the explanation on Fate sharing given 
in 3.1.
(Or did I miss something?)

Regards,

RD