Subject: [BEHAVE] FTP64 -03

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:28:45 +0200

Hi all,

Here's a new version of the FTP64 draft.

It now specifies server and client behavior that allow FTP through a  
translator without an ALG. The text about how to do an ALG is also  
still in there, but now without taking a position on whether an ALG  
should be deployed or not. I removed a bunch of exotic cases from the  
ALG text and made it easier for clients to make the ALG go into  
transparent mode by issueing AUTH, regardless of how the server  
responds.

Hopefully this will be more palatable to those who expressed criticism  
of the previous versions.

Note that the text is a tad rough and I used strong requirements  
language that may not be appropriate for an informational document.  
Other than the question of whether this is the right way forward, we  
also need to consider whether we want this to be informational or an  
update to STD 9 and RFC 2428, in which case strong language could be  
reasonable.

Begin forwarded message:

> Filename:	 draft-van-beijnum-behave-ftp64
> Revision:	 03
> Title:		 IPv6-to-IPv4 translation FTP considerations
> Creation_date:	 2009-05-19
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 8

> Abstract:
> FTP has an active and a passive mode, both as original commands that
> are IPv4-specific, and in extended, IP version agnostic commands.
> The only FTP mode that works without changes through an IPv6-to-IPv4
> translator is extended passive However, many existing FTP servers
> don't support this mode, and some clients don't ask for it.  This
> document describes the optimal server, client and middlebox (if any)
> behavior to minimize this problem.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-van-beijnum-behave-ftp64-00