Subject: [BEHAVE] Address format terminology

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:39:35 +0000

During today's interim meeting, those present agreed to use 
"IPv4-embedded" in place of "IPv4-mapped", to avoid confusion 
with the specific range ::ffff:a.b.c.d/96, unless/until a better 
terms is found.  One problem with "IPv4-embedded" is that 
there are techniques that do not actually embed an IPv4 
address literally, but obscure it in some way.  Another problem
is that "IPv4-translatable" addresses also "embed" an IPv4 
address.  Hence I (and Dan) feel the term "IPv4-embedded" is 
too general to be appropriate.

I think regardless of the root word, we want to retain the 
suffix "-ed" to mean the mapping of a regular IPv4 address assigned
to some host has already been performed (past tense), to get an 
IPv6 address.  And the suffix "-able" means that the IPv6 address 
has not yet had any mapping done to it (future tense), but is 
directly assigned to an IPv6 host.

So I went to my thesaurus after the call to look for synonyms of
translate and map, and found two that might be possible.  The
two possibilities for consideration are:
 a) IPv4-converted
 b) IPv4-transformed

-Dave

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:58:09 +0800

>  a) IPv4-converted   I perfer this one.  xing
>   
>  b) IPv4-transformed
>
> -Dave
> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave
>
>
>