Subject: [BEHAVE] The usage of ID-Nits

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:21:42 -0700

WG,

In the batch of documents that I reviewed around the v6-v4 translator
there where several that had ID nits that was real issues. The chairs
did point that out to the authors in some cases. However, it wasn't
fixed in the revision. I just want to set the record straight on my
expectations as an AD.

When a document is requested WG last call or publication requested I
expect there to be 0 actual nits. Yes, they can be warnings that are
wrongly flagged by the tool. But none of the errors or warnings should
be for real issues. So authors prior to submitting a draft that is in a
mature state are expected by me to ALWAYS run ID-nits on it:
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/

I also recommend that you check the "verbose output" format as that
provides much more input to you as an author about the issue.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------