Subject: [BEHAVE] AD evaluation of draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-framework-07

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:04:30 -0700

Authors and WG,

As one of my last acts as AD I have performed an AD review of the
translator documents. As you have seen David is also reviewing the
documents in parallel as preparations for taking over the handling of
these documents. I am very pleased that the WG has managed to progress
these documents without to much delay.

See below my AD comments and questions from this review. As usual please
discuss things with me as it is as likely that I have misunderstood as
there are issues with the document. I also have to state that I have
failed to keep abreast on all the postings on the mailing list.

I do hope that these comments can be addressed quickly and if anyone
needs more discussion that we can identified that prior the IETF week is
over and take it in the BEHAVE session. However, please submit a new
draft as soon as you are able to. It is possible to submit new versions
from Monday of the IETF week.

1. When I started reading it took me some time to grasp and remember
which address is the IPv4 converted IPv6 address and which is the
translated one. If I haven't misunderstood maybe a figure that places
the address in the context, i.e. who has the address, would help.

 H6 (Translated address) - (IPv6 network)  - (Converted address)
Translator (v4 address corresponding to H6's translated) - IPv4 Network - H4

2. Section 2.3:
This scenario has very little discussion around it. Nothing about
addressing in the IPv4 for example. One can clearly use private address
and with a Network specific prefix give the hosts unique IPv6 converted
addresses. Also the DNS usage here can in many cases be a bit different
as there are no need for DNS64 rather more static AAAA records can be
put in the regular DNS to represent these v4 only hosts. As the DNS64
document does discuss deployment in this case I think some more text and
a reference is recommended.

3. Section 3.2.2
   For Scenario 1, any IPv6 addresses in an IPv6 network can use
   stateful translation, however it typically only supports initiation
   from the IPv6 side it doesn't support IPv4-initiation, and does not
   result in stable addresses of IPv6 nodes that can be used in DNS,
   other protocols and applications that do not deal well with highly
   dynamic addresses.

Missing comma between "IPv6 side" and it. I would also suggest splitting
this jumbo sentence into two.

4. Section 3.3:
   o  DNS46 (AAAA to A mapping and DNSSec discussion)
      [I-D.xli-behave-dns46-for-stateless].

This is the only document that isn't a WG item on the list. Also, my
understanding is that there are not an established consensus yet on what
to do in this space. Maybe we should leave this out and simply state
that there may be additional components to address certain scenarios
that aren't covered by the listed ones.

5. Section 5:

I think the first sentence is fine. However, I am not certain that we
should list things we not yet have WG consensus on developing.

6. Section 9.2
ID nits reports this that seems to be a case not take care of:

  == Unused Reference: 'I-D.bagnulo-behave-nat64' is defined on line 1228,
     but no explicit reference was found in the text

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:53:48 -0700

Thanks for the update,

The update addresses my comments. Thus this document is ready for IETF
last call. I will leave that to David to start it. And it probably best
to take the whole set to IETF last call at the same time.

Magnus

Magnus Westerlund skrev 2010-03-20 08:04:
> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:02:23 +0800

Hi, Magnus,

Thank you very much!

Regards,

xing