Subject: [BEHAVE] FYI: I-D Action:draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00.txt

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:27:03 +0300

We submitted a draft a while ago that is intended to aid end hosts of the possible AAAA RR synthesis taking place in NAT64/DNS64 deployments.

- Jouni

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : EDNS0 Flags Indicating AAAA Record Synthesis and Format
	Author(s)       : J. Korhonen, T. Savolainen
	Filename        : draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2010-06-30

Advanced hosts and applications benefit of the knowledge of an IPv6
address, AAAA record, and a possible synthesis taking place in the
network.  This specification defines ENDS0 flag bits for
communicating whether the synthesis is taking place, what is the used
IPv6 address format, and the IPv6 prefix and suffix used by the
DNS64.  The communicated information enables hosts to perform a local
IPv6 address synthesis and to extract the IPv4 address out of the
synthesized IPv6 address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00.txt

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:20:35 -0700

> We submitted a draft a while ago that is intended to aid end hosts of
> the possible AAAA RR synthesis taking place in NAT64/DNS64 deployments.

Thanks for bringing the document to the attention of the working group.

There appear to be 6 proposals for a host to learn its NAT64's prefix:

1. using DNS to query a special IANA-assigned name, described in 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-04#section-4.1

2. using DHCPv6 to convey the NAT64's address, described in 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-04#section-4.2

3. IPv6 Router Advertisements, first described in 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/behave/current/msg05594.html and
described in detail in 	
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-03#section-3.3

4. EDNS0 flags, 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00

5. EDNS0 OPTION-CODE, described in the Editor's Note at bottom of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00#section-3

6. Query a hostname that has only an A record and use heuristics to
determine the IPv6 prefix of the NAT64, described in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00#section-4

Would someone volunteer to present a pros/cons of these approaches at 
the BEHAVE meeting?

I am curious why we have so many proposed solutions -- is it 
useful/necessary for hosts or applications to know a AAAA response 
is synthesized?  Or is it useful/necessary for hosts or applications to 
build their own synthesized IPv6 address to send packets to a NAT64
to access an IPv4 destination?

As you know we are re-chartering BEHAVE, so specifics on "pain points" 
that need more standardization are helpful.

-d

> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Matthew Kaufman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:29:43 -0700

> to access an IPv4 destination?
I won't be at the meeting, but I have the following comments re the above:

A) It is necessary for applications to be able to build their own 
synthesized IPv6 address to send packets to a NAT64 in order to access 
an IPv4 destination address that they learned via a mechanism OTHER than 
DNS. An example use is Adobe RTMFP and RTMFP Groups. The former allows a 
host to learn IPv4 candidate addresses via a non-DNS lookup mechanism, 
the latter uses a peer-to-peer gossip exchange to pass around IPv4 and 
IPv6 addresses (among other things).

B) Options which allow an application running with no special privileges 
to rapidly acquire the synthetic IPv6 prefix are preferable for 
applications like the Adobe Flash Player running RTMFP. #1 is preferred. 
If #1 isn't possible, #6 is the likely fallback. All others in the list 
are unworkable to a greater or lesser extent.

Disclaimer: I was the architect/co-inventor of RTMFP at Adobe, my 
previous employer. I no longer work at Adobe.

Matthew Kaufman

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:51:00 +0800

Hi Dan and behave colleagues,

For some changes, I just cancelled my Masstricht trip and will not be able 
to 
attend IETF78 also the behave WG session.

Can we provide conf meeting for the Behave Monday morning sesssion? It 
defenitely 
will be a good news for people who cannot attend Masstricht meeting 
physically, 
like Matthew and me. 

Your favorable consideration will be appreciated.

Wish behave be sucessful.

Thanks!
Linfeng

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:06:31 -0700

> For some changes, I just cancelled my Masstricht trip and will not be
> able to attend IETF78 also the behave WG session.
> 
> Can we provide conf meeting for the Behave Monday morning sesssion?

Streaming audio is available in all rooms.  Easiest way is to visit 
http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/78 and click the speaker icon for the
session.  Of course you will need a plug-in in your web browser to 
understand the audio/x-mpegurl content-type.  At the same place you
can join the Jabber room, and if you have a question/comment post it
into the Jabber room and someone will read it at the microphone.

Note there is a delay to hear the audio, usually 3-4 seconds.

Because of your request, I have set up a WebEx session for sharing slides
as they are being presented.  However, I will not enable audio for WebEx
because its audio will not be integrated with the in-room audio.  I
expect the 'chat' inside of WebEx will not be monitored during the 
session.  Instead, use Jabber.

This should work on Monday, July 26:

  Topic: IETF78, BEHAVE session
  Date: Monday, July 26, 2010
  Time: 9:00 am, Europe Summer Time (Amsterdam, GMT+02:00) 
  Meeting Number: 207 634 809 
  Meeting Password: ietf 

https://ciscosales.webex.com/ciscosales/j.php?ED=144250682&UID=0&PW=NOTdiNWE
1ZTNm&RT=MiMyMg%3D%3D	

  you may need to click 'join as a participant'.

and I included a link to WebEx in the posted agenda, which is now at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/78/agenda/behave.html

-d

> It
> defenitely will be a good news for people who cannot attend Masstricht
> meeting physically, like Matthew and me.
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:04:36 +0800

Thanks!

"Dan Wing" <[email-masked]> 
发件人:  [email-masked]
2010-07-14 09:06

收件人
<[email-masked]>
抄送
[email-masked], [email-masked]
主题
Re: [BEHAVE] conf meeting for behave WG in IETF78

1ZTNm&RT=MiMyMg%3D%3D 

-d