Subject: [BEHAVE] adoption of learn analysis and DNS-based NAT64 prefix discovery

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 18:10:01 -0700

At IETF80, we appeared to have reach regarding BEHAVE's milestone "Apr 2011
- Submit to IESG: avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack host for local networks
(std)".  Excerpt from the minutes is below.  Under this milestone, it seems
valuable to publish two documents:  one which analyzes the various
approaches, and another that details the specific recommended approach.

To that end, please provide feedback to [email-masked] on adopting the
following two documents as working group documents:

1.  draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis, to be informational
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-02

2.  draft-savolainen-heuristic-nat64-discovery, likely to be standards track

    or possibly informational 
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-savolainen-heuristic-nat64-discovery-01

Thanks,
-d

-----

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/minutes/behave.txt

...
Avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack host for local networks (Jouni Korhonen)
       draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag
       draft-savolainen-heuristic-nat64-discovery
       draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis
       milestone date: April 2011

Dan Wing: Should we use DNS well-known-name (hack) or the ENDS0 option (more
elegant)

Andrew Sullivan: Are there implementations of NAT64 that don't currently
implement the ENDS0 option?

Mark Andrews: BIND does not currently have the ENDS0 option but could easily
add it

Andrew Sullivan: Needs to be done quickly

Matthew Kaufman: What about client resolver APIs that don't support getting
to the EDNS0 option?

Stuart Cheshire: What software needs to learn the prefix? Client DNS
resolver, or other application software?

Dave Thaler: Other application software.

Stuart Cheshire: Then the resolver API limitation might be a problem.

Andrew Sullivan: Standardizing a DNS well-known-name will be an uphill
struggle

Andrew Sullivan: We should pick one and do it, not both.

Dave Thaler: If DNS well-known-name, we need to decide if it's a single
global well-known-name, or per-operator, or per vendor?

Matthew Kaufman: This will happen. Better to synthesize locally than to
store in the DNS far away.
...

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:21:45 -0700

>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-02

I support this draft and believe moving forward with the conclusion of
publishing the Well-Known DNS Name heuristic-based method is a great
way to get a quick solution in place.

One nit -- in first paragraph s/analyses/analyze

>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-savolainen-heuristic-nat64-discovery-01

I also support this draft as being important work to move forward and
for IANA to host a well known name.

Cameron