Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:03:38 -0700

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Dan Wing <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This starts a 3 week WGLC (extra time to accommodate IETF travel) for
> draft-ietf-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00.  This document analyzes the
> available approaches for a host to learn its NAT64 prefix.  Abstract:
>
>   Hosts and applications may benefit from the knowledge if an IPv6
>   address is synthesized, which would mean a NAT64 is used to reach the
>   IPv4 network or Internet.  This document analyses a number of
>   proposed solutions for communicating whether the synthesis is taking
>   place, used address format, and the IPv6 prefix used by the NAT64 and
>   DNS64.  The solutions enable both NAT64 avoidance and intentional
>   utilization by allowing local IPv6 address synthesis.  The document
>   concludes by recommending selection of heuristic discovery based
>   solution.
>
> Please send comments to [email-masked].  WGLC ends in 3 weeks on
> August 12.
>

Sorry for writing late.  I believe this is a good document and that we
should move forward with the recommendation of publishing a well known
name for learning the PREF64.  This path is consistent with the the
overall NAT64 / DNS64 philosophy of working within the existing
technology to the greatest extent possible.

Cameron

---

From: "Yi DING(Aaron)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:53:35 +0300

Some comments on "draft-ietf-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00":

* Issue 1-5 could be emphasized as a separate section / subsection under 
Section 3
* As DNS query for well-known name becomes the recommendation, for 
clarity as well as highlight, we should move it up as the first solution 
in Section 4.

The document is well-written, concise, and coupled with an extensive 
survey of existing mechanisms to learn NAT64 prefix. The comparison 
chart is very valuable for networking research as well. I agree with 
Cameron that we shall push this document forward.

-- Aaron

On 06/09/11 23:03, Cameron Byrne wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Dan Wing<[email-masked]>  wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:34:29 +0200

Dear all,

The document is in a good shape and I support its publication.

I have one minor comment, the conclusion says: 

"None of the discussed solutions support learning of
   possible new or indicating support for multiple algorithms for
   address synthesis other than the one described in [RFC6052]."

Which is not actually true for one of the solutions discussed in Section 4.6. Please refer to http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-dhcpv6-shared-address-option-01#section-5 for more details.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Dan Wing
Envoyé : vendredi 22 juillet 2011 23:10
À : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : [BEHAVE] WGLC: draft-ietf-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00

-d