Subject: [BEHAVE] NAT MIB: meaning of indexes for NAT instance, address pool, and subscriber

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:43:30 -0500

As I understand it, NAT instances, address pools, and subscribers  could 
all be provisioned (and deleted) dynamically. To ensure that a given 
index value continues to point to information for the same object 
assuming that object continues to exist, I propose the following rules 
(adapted from RFC 2863, Interfaces MIB and taking into account the 
proposal in my previous E-mail):

1. The index value for a given object instance MUST remain constant 
between events that cause the discontinuity time for that object to be 
updated. (The interfaces MIB module requires constancy at least between 
reinitializations of the management system.)

2. After the object instance is dynamically removed, its index value 
MUST NOT be re-used by a *different* dynamically added object instance 
until after the following re-initialization of the network management 
system. (Same constraint as the interfaces MIB module.)

DiscontinuityTime objects were part of the previous proposal and will be 
assumed here, since they are part of the ifIndex solution.

Question to operators: should there be objects giving:
   -- total number of object instances (e.g., subscribers)
      provisioned
   -- next available index value -- I expect particularly
      useful for subscribers

Comments?

Tom Taylor

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:59:24 -1000

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> all be provisioned (and deleted) dynamically. To ensure that a given index
> value continues to point to information for the same object assuming that
> object continues to exist, I propose the following rules (adapted from RFC
> 2863, Interfaces MIB and taking into account the proposal in my previous
> E-mail):
>
> 2. After the object instance is dynamically removed, its index value MUST
> NOT be re-used by a *different* dynamically added object instance until
> after the following re-initialization of the network management system.
> (Same constraint as the interfaces MIB module.)
>

LGTM!

Simon