Subject: [bess] Poll for adoption: draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:29:34 +0200

Hello working group,

This email starts a two-week poll on adopting
draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover [1] as a working group item.

Please send comments to the list and state if you support adoption or
not (in the later case, please also state the reasons).

This poll runs until the *16th of October*.

Currently there is no IPR disclosed against this document.

*Coincidentally*, we are also polling for knowledge of any IPR that 
applies to this draft, to ensure that IPR has been disclosed in 
compliance with IETF IPR rules (see RFCs 3979, 4879, 3669 and 5378 for 
more details).

*If you are listed as a document author or contributor* please respond 
to this email and indicate whether or not you are aware of any relevant IPR.

The draft will not be adopted until a response has been received from 
each author and contributor.

If you are not listed as an author or contributor, then please 
explicitly respond only if you are aware of any IPR that has not yet 
been disclosed in conformance with IETF rules.

Thank you,

Martin & Thomas
bess chairs

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:20:06 +0200

> been disclosed in conformance with IETF rules.

Not aware of any such IPR.

Best,

-Thomas

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

---

From: Robert Kebler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:43:28 +0000

I support as a co-author.

I'm not aware of any such IPR.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: BESS [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Martin Vigoureux
> Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 6:30 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [bess] Poll for adoption: draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover
> 
> Hello working group,
> 
> This email starts a two-week poll on adopting draft-morin-bess-mvpn-
> fast-failover [1] as a working group item.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> BESS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess

---

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 14:00:38 +0000

Support.

---

From: "Henderickx, Wim (Wim)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 16:39:35 +0000

Not aware of IPR related to this draft

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Jorge)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 22:04:51 +0000

Support for WG adoption.

Thx
Jorge

---

From: Nabeel Cocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 03:28:20 -0400

support..

Nabeel

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 6:29 AM, Martin Vigoureux <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> applies to this draft, to ensure that IPR has been disclosed in compliance
> with IETF IPR rules (see RFCs 3979, 4879, 3669 and 5378 for more details).
>
> *If you are listed as a document author or contributor* please respond to
> this email and indicate whether or not you are aware of any relevant IPR.
>
> The draft will not be adopted until a response has been received from each
> author and contributor.
>
> If you are not listed as an author or contributor, then please explicitly
> respond only if you are aware of any IPR that has not yet been disclosed in
> conformance with IETF rules.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Martin & Thomas
> bess chairs
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 13:01:31 +0000

Support !

-----Original Message-----
From: BESS [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Martin Vigoureux
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 12:30
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bess] Poll for adoption: draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover

Hello working group,

This email starts a two-week poll on adopting draft-morin-bess-mvpn-fast-failover [1] as a working group item.

Please send comments to the list and state if you support adoption or not (in the later case, please also state the reasons).

*Coincidentally*, we are also polling for knowledge of any IPR that applies to this draft, to ensure that IPR has been disclosed in compliance with IETF IPR rules (see RFCs 3979, 4879, 3669 and 5378 for more details).

*If you are listed as a document author or contributor* please respond to this email and indicate whether or not you are aware of any relevant IPR.

The draft will not be adopted until a response has been received from each author and contributor.

If you are not listed as an author or contributor, then please explicitly respond only if you are aware of any IPR that has not yet been disclosed in conformance with IETF rules.

Thank you,

Martin & Thomas
bess chairs

---

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:34:06 +0200

Authors,

we are 1 day before the deadline and I am missing feedbacks on IPR from:
Kanwar, Ray, Praveen, Jayant, Pradeep, Clayton, Nehal, and Rahul.

So please, do reply.

In the meantime, additional positions wrt the document are welcome from 
the WG participants.

-m

---

From: Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:57:12 -0400

I support the adoption of this draft by the WG.

---

From: "Muley, Praveen V (Praveen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:03:15 +0000

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:37:46 +0000

bess WG:

As those of you following this thread may have already noticed, no IPR had
been disclosed related to this document, or any of the documents it
replaces ([1] and [2]), at the time this adoption poll started..nor by the
time the poll was to end on Oct/16.

On Oct/17 the WG received a note about IPR found (from one of the
contributors) [3]; the corresponding disclosure was communicated to the WG
on Oct/22 [4].  At the same time a similar disclosure [5] was also
submitted for [2].

It is not uncommon for IPR disclosures to be submitted related to work in
the IETF.  However, it is expected that such disclosures are "made as soon
as reasonably possible after the Contribution is published" [RFC3979].
That clearly did not happen in this case!

Because of the above, and due to authorship and affiliation, the WG Chairs
have decided to recuse themselves from the process of adoption of this
document.  They have asked me to take it on.

I want to then explicitly make the WG aware of the existing IPR claims
related to this document:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2696/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2697/

Given the recent disclosure, this poll for adoption is extended for
another 2 weeks (ending on November 11, 2015).  Please express your
opinion is support of adoption (or not) on the list.  Even though we
needed to reset the process, please keep in mind from rfc3979:

   It should also be noted that the validity and enforceability of any
   IPR may be challenged for legitimate reasons, and the mere existence
   of an IPR disclosure should not automatically be taken to mean that
   the disclosed IPR is valid or enforceable.  Although the IETF can
   make no actual determination of validity, enforceability or
   applicability of any particular IPR claim, it is reasonable that a
   working group will take into account on their own opinions of the
   validity, enforceability or applicability of Intellectual Property
   Rights in their evaluation of alternative technologies.

To clarify: the IETF (including us as a WG) cannot determine whether the
disclosures are valid, enforceable or even applicable..but you can use
your own criteria when deciding whether to support adoption or not.

Also, with the new IPR baseline, I need all the authors and contributors
to explicitly reply to this message stating whether you know (or not) of
any additional IPR.  [If any of you have already sent such statement to
the WG, there's no need to send it again.]

Thanks!

Alvaro.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-fast-failover/
[2] 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jain-mvpn-bfd-fast-upstream-failover
/
[3] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/bess/uvOZm_K0iKV9btnSK95qVR5wgIk
[4] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/bess/-7TnzEqxfLHqsfFdX6yjHcaVBx8
[5] 
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipr-announce/current/msg01326.html

On 10/2/15, 5:29 AM, "BESS on behalf of Martin Vigoureux"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]>