Subject: Re: [bess] Comments about draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bfd-03

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:17:34 -0400

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your comments. Sorry for the delay in responding. Please see
below.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 4:21 AM Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain
View) <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Dear authors,
>
> (Most of) these comments were made during the last IETF as
> well. Thank you in advance for considering them.

My apologies for missing things.

> About fault detection for unicast:
>
>    By default, it advertises this discriminator with
>    BGP using the BFD Discriminator Attribute [ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-
>    failover] with BFD Mode TBD4 in an EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement Route
>    [RFC7432] and extracts its peer's discriminator from such an
>    attribute.
>
> In typical EVPN deployments there are no MAC/IP advertisement routes
> advertised by a PE until the PE does not learn a MAC for a locally
> attached host. Based on the text above, the operator cannot
> establish BFD session against an EVPN PE that has not learn a local
> MAC yet.
>
> Is that the intent? Or is the intend to advertise a local management
> MAC for the purpose of distributing the BFD discriminator required
> for unicast fault detection? Or is it the MAC allocated in section
> 8.2?
>
> Please add text is missing to clarify this.

Yes, we will add text and update the draft to support BFD sessions
between PEs independent of the advertisement of locally attached host
MAC addresses.

> Unicast mpls encapsulation
>
> - The destination IP port MUST be 3784 [RFC5881].
>
>
> s/IP port/UDP port/

OK. "source IP port" in the following line also needs to be fixed and
there are a few other places in the draft that just say "source port"
or "destination port" and could be clarified by adding "UDP".

> The draft does not support BDF for IP multicast traffic in EVPN networks
>
> Is this intended?
> Are you planning to address this gap? If so, text is needed and the
> discriminator added to S-PMSI A-D routes.

Yes, we will add text and update the draft to support BFD for IP BUM
traffic in EVPN networks including adding BFD discriminator attribute
to additional routes as needed.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

> Thanks.
> Jorge

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:23:15 +0000

Hi Donald,

Thanks.
Looking forward to reading the updated draft.

Jorge

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 10:17 PM
To: Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View) <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Comments about draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bfd-03
Hi Jorge,

Thanks,
Donald