Subject: [bess] Erik Kline's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:31:25 -0700

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[ section 2.4 ]

* Up to you if you want to include ICMPv6 [RFC4443] in the list of
  applicable mechanism.

  =)

[ section 3.1.1.2+ ]

* I can't tell what the mandatory to implement behaviour is.  3.1.1.2 says
  that implementations MUST support event-driven defect indication which
  can be categorized into two types.

  Both types say they SHOULD be supported.  If the overall behaviour is
  a MUST, shouldn't one of these be MTI?  Or is that not important and the
  point is that any implementation MUST choose at least one to support?

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 18:27:06 -0400

Hi Erik,

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM Erik Kline via Datatracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...

That seems like a good idea to me. I tend to think of "ICMP" as
covering both v4 and v6 but the only RFC reference, which was probably
added later, is for v4. I'll add v6.

>   point is that any implementation MUST choose at least one to support?

This seems like a good point. To minimize change at this point, I can
re-word to make it clear that at least one of the two types of
event-driven defect indication MUST be implemented, which I believe is
already implied.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]