Subject: [bess] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-08: (with COMMENT)

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:44:46 -0700

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-oam-req-frmwk/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the text of my previously-a-discuss for reference:

Section 2.3:

   EVPN Network OAM mechanisms MUST provide in-band monitoring
   capabilities. As such, OAM messages MUST be encoded so that they
   exhibit identical entropy characteristics to data traffic in order
   that they share the same fate.

It’s not obvious to me what you mean by “identical entropy characteristics to
data traffic”. Surely, different flows may have different entropy
characteristics, so, *which* data traffic? Similarly, with which data traffic
are you saying the OAM messages must share fate?

Donald proposed:

How about something more like:
EVPN Network OAM mechanisms MUST provide in-band monitoring capabilities. OAM
messages SHOULD be encoded so that they exhibit similar entropy characteristics
to data traffic in order maximize the fate sharing between OAM and data.

That's fine. (s/in order maximize/in order to maximize/)

I'm switching to "no objection" in anticipation of the document being updated.

Previous comment:

Thanks for the clear and readable document. I have one nit and one question.

1. Section 1, nit:

“EVPN is an Layer 2” s/an/a/