Subject: [bess] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 23:10:02 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-06: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below one blocking  DISCUSS point and one non-blocking one.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==
While I am an expert neither in multicast not in VPN, I wonder why this
document is only about IPv4 and not a single word is written about IPv6.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Minor comment/nit, which may be fixed by the RFC editor anyway, the BCP 14
boilerplate is in an unusual location.

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:34:20 -0700

Éric:

Hi!

MSDP (from 2003) is an IPv4-only protocol.

Also, take a look at rfc4611/BCP121 (MSDP Deployment Scenarios) which
mentions other IPv6 alternatives which makes any extension of MSDP
unnecessary.

Alvaro.

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 21:54:48 +0000

Alvaro

Thank you for the added piece of information. I am clearing my DISCUSS tomorrow (past midnight here).

Regards

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: iesg <[email-masked]> on behalf of Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 17 May 2021 at 23:34
To: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>, Eric Vyncke <[email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]>, "Mankamana Mishra (mankamis)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [bess] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

    Éric:

    Hi!

    Alvaro.

---

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 02:01:56 -0400

Chiming in.  Some history.

Due  to the complexities of ASM requirement for MSDP / RP for inter domain
multicast, IPv6 for simplicity as well as lessons learned with the
complexity of ASM was designed to support SSM only for inter domain
multicast.  Thus an MSDP extension was purposely never created for IPv6.

RFC 8815  came out last year  officially deprecating ASM / MSDP for inter
domain multicast with SSM replacement for inter domain multicast.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8815

There is a big push worldwide for operators as well as customers to migrate
off ASM to SSM for OPEX savings.

Gyan

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:11 PM Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyncke=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> To: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>, Eric Vyncke <
> [email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]>, "Mankamana Mishra
> (mankamis)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <
> [email-masked]>, "
> [email-masked]" <
> [email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <
> [email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [bess] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on
> draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)
>
>     Éric:
>
>     Hi!
>
> _______________________________________________
> BESS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess
>
-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect *

*Email [email-masked] <[email-masked]>*

*M 301 502-1347*