Subject: [bess] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:10:05 -0700

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates-11: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This should be an easy thing to resolve, but I'm confused about the IANA
Considerations section.  First, it should name the registry it's updating.  For
instance:

OLD:

  IANA has temporarily assigned the following new EVPN route types:

NEW:

  IANA has temporarily made the following entries into the EVPN Route Types
  registry:

However, the second part of this section makes an entry in the "EVPN Multicast
Flags Extended Community" which I can't find on IANA's site or via a search
engine.  If you're referring to the EVPN Extended Community Sub-Types
sub-registry of the BGP Extended Communities registry, this document should say
that.  Or did you mean something else?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The shepherd writeup is over two years old.  I wonder if it would be worth
reviewing.  Also, questions 7 and 8 have the same answer, but they're asking
different things.

Terms like "MVPN" and "ASBR" are commonly used.  I realize Section 1 says:

   It is expected that audience is familiar with EVPN and MVPN concepts
   and terminologies.

Still, I think it's conventional to expand key acronyms upon first use.  EVPN
is expanded in the Abstract, for example.  I think this would be helpful to
some readers a little foreign to the topic.

"SMET A-D" is defined in Section 1, but then not used anywhere in this document.

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 23:17:48 -0700

I'm pretty sure it's the registry to be created by
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-igmp-mld-proxy (also on this week's telechat), though
the specification there doesn't really provide a clear title for the new
registry itself.

-Ben

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:42:16 -0700

> the specification there doesn't really provide a clear title for the new

Looks like it's on the 10/28 telechat.  I'll have a look at it.  A vague
title would indeed be a problem.

-MSK

---

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 13:49:42 +0000

Hi Murray, Ben,

Thanks for your review and comments.
Indeed the registry is the one to be created in the other draft. I will make the text clearer in a revision.

Jeffrey

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 3:42 AM
To: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; BESS <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:17 PM Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Looks like it's on the 10/28 telechat.  I'll have a look at it.  A vague title would indeed be a problem.

-MSK

Juniper Business Use Only

---

From: John E Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:13:35 +0000

Hi,

Ben is correct in his email, below:

The IGMP and MLD Proxy for EVPN draft (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-igmp-mld-proxy-13) is going to create the Multicast Flags Extended Community Registry.  The complete list of assignments to be is:

7     SBD (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-mcast)
8     Segment support (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates)
9     IPMG (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-mcast)
10    MEG (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-mcast)
11    PEG (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-mcast)
12    OISM-supported (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-mcast)
13    Extended AR (draft-wsv-bess-extended-evpn-optimized-ir)
14    MLD Proxy support (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-igmp-mld-proxy)
15    IGMP Proxy support (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-igmp-mld-proxy)

Yours Irrespectively,

John

Juniper Business Use Only
From: BESS <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Murray S. Kucherawy
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 3:42 AM
To: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; The IESG <[email-masked]>; BESS <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [bess] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bum-procedure-updates-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

-MSK