Subject: [bmwg] RFC 3222 on FIB based Router Performance

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:29:45 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3222

        Title:	    Terminology for Forwarding Information Base (FIB)
                    based Router Performance
        Author(s):  G. Trotter
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       December 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 25483
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-term-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3222.txt

This document describes the terms to be used in a methodology that
determines the IP packet forwarding performance of IP routers as a
function of the forwarding information base installed within a router.
The forwarding performance of an IP router may be dependent upon or
may be linked to the composition and size of the forwarding
information base installed within a router.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

---

From: "Martin Biddiscombe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:49:20 -0000

> Title: Terminology for Forwarding Information Base (FIB)

Quick query regarding section 5.7...

:5.7 Forwarding Information Base Prefix Distribution
:<snip>
:   Measurement units:
:      The forwarding information base prefix distribution is expressed
:      by a list of network prefix lengths and the percentage of entries
:      within the forwarding information base with a particular network
:      prefix length.  For example, a forwarding information base prefix
:      distribution is represented as:
:
:         {[/16, 100], [/20, 360], [/24, 540]}
:
:      This indicates that 100 of the entries within the forwarding
:      information base have a 16 bit network prefix length, 360 have a
:      20 bit network prefix length, and 540 have a 24 bit network prefix
:      length.

Should the distribution be expressed as a percentage or as
absolute numbers - or would either be acceptable - the text
and example differ...

Kind regards,

<M>
--

---

From: "Martin Biddiscombe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:49:20 -0000

Kind regards,

<M>
--