Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietf-bmwg-conterm-04.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:23:43 -0800

pekka savola, a hero of the devolution, reviewd this document for the ops
directorate.

randy

---

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> anyone with spare cycles might give this a glance.

I've never bothered with bmwg docs, but here are some comments.

non-editorial:
--------------

                                                         Nortel Networks
                                                                S. Hares
                                                    Nexthop Technologies
                                                         P. Krishnaswamy
                                                                    SAIC
                                                                 M. Lepp
                                                              Consultant
                                                               A. Retano
                                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                                           March 3, 2003
==> 6 authors, some(one) must bite the dust

      E.g., 141.184.128.0/17 indicates the network component of this
      IPv4 address is 17 bits wide. Similar notation is used for IPv6
      network prefixes e.g. :FF02:20::/24
==> s/:F/F/?
==> note that this is a link-local multicast address, so I'd pick something
else.. :-)

   Definition:
      Routing Policy is "the ability to define conditions for accepting,
      rejecting, and modifying routes received in advertisements"[9].
==> that is incomplete: routing policies also apply to outgoing
advertisements, as also discussed in 3.3

4.1 Default Route, Default Free Table, and Full Table

   An individual router's routing table may not necessarily contain a
   default route.  Not having a default route, however, is not
   synonymous with having a full default-free table(DFT).

==> do you count a router which has full routing table and *discard* default
route as default free router or not?  If yes, non-applicable default route
(ie. no real nexthop) should be clarified

      The traffic that transits this router may be destined to, or
      originate from non-contiguous autonomous systems.
==> "non-contiguous ASs"?  I have no idea what you're talking of..

   Discussion:
      For example, when considering BGP convergence, the convergence
      resulting from a change that alters the best route instance for a
      single prefix at a router would be deemed to have occurred when
      this route is advertised to its downstream peers.  

==> one thing to keep in mind here is what kind of configuration is towards
the downstream peers.  That is, whether the processing and time what it
takes from the state where the BGP router has data in its RIB to the state
where it has begun sending updates to its peers and last to the state where
the advertisement has finished are completely different issues.  Should
"downstream" peers have any kind of route-maps or other policies which might
take time to process, for instance?

8.1.1 Number of peers

   As the number of peers increases, the BGP route selection algorithm
   is increasingly exercised. In addition, the phasing and frequency of
   updates from the various peers will have an increasingly marked
==> this issue seems to consider that all the peers provide a roughly equal
output to the BGP process.  Adding 1000 BGP peers which advertise no or a
few routes each is not necessarily a big thing.

purely editorial:
-----------------
   traffic on the control and data paths within the DUT, and other
==> spell out DUT here, not in section N

   Definition:
      In general, a 'route' is the n-tuple
      <prefix, nexthop, other routing or non-routing protocol
      attributes]>
==> s/]// or s/nexthop,/nexthop [,//

      A route is not end-to-end, but is defined with respect to a
      specific next hop that will move traffic closer to the destination
      defined by the prefix.
==> if at all possible, I'd try to find a reword of "move traffic closer"

   Definition:
      The NRLI consists of one or more network prefixes with the same
==> s/NRLI/NLRI/

      Types of routes can include internal BGP, external BGP, interface,
      static and IGP routes.
==> s/include/include e.g./ (or replace the ambigous "can")

   See Also:
      Route, BGP Route, Route Instance, Adj-RIB-in, Adj-RIB-out,FIB
==> s/,F/, F/

      Each route instance is associated with a specific peer. The BGP
      selection algorithm may reject a specific route instance due to
      local policy.
==> reword: "BGP selection algorithm".  what does it select?

      based on the function to be performed by a router. An
      inter-provider border router, located in the default free zone
      (not defined) will likely receive more route instances than a

==> there seems to be some def in 4.1.4..

4. Constituent elements of a router or network of routers.
==> upper case first chars of most section title words, remove the dot.
==> a lot of other section titles too

      the default route entry, provided its Forwarding Table (Forwarding
      Information Base (FIB) contains one. The notation for a default
==> s/one/one)/

   Discussion:
      Experience has shown that this table can contain 1.3 to 1.5 times
      the number of routes in the externally visible full table.  Tables
==> s/can/might/ (can is ambiguous, or perhaps my English is just bad)

      An inter-provider border router is a BGP speaking router which
      maintains BGP sessions with otherBGP speaking routers in other
==> s/otherBGP/other BGP/

     [core routers]
      Then by this definition they aren't core routers.
==> clarify "they" -- the DUT's which are eBGP routers?

==> what are these empty pages???
Berkowitz, et al.      Expires September 1, 2003               [Page 31]

   control traffic (FIB updates and downloads as a consequence of
   flaps)are excessive. The addition of data traffic presents a more
==> s/)/) /

   [10]  Rosen, E. and Y. Rekhter, "BGP/MPLS VPNs", RFC 2547, March
         1999.

   [11]   Jain, R. and S. Routhier, "Packet trains -- measurement and a
==> s/ J/J/

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg