Subject: [bmwg] 2nd Tentataive Agenda for the BMWG at the 56th IETF.

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:46:50 -0500

Benchmarking Methodology WG (bmwg)

MONDAY, March 17, 2003, 1530-1730
=======================================

CHAIRS: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
         Al Morton <[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

1. [Tentative] Discussion on OSPF Convergence Benchmarking WG Last
    Call comments. Last call is over, but consensus on
    outstanding issues isn't clear.  Identification of outstanding
    issues.  (R. White et al.)

    BMWG mail archive:
    http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/bmwg/current/

2. [Tentative] "Considerations in Benchmarking Routing Protocol
    Network Convergence." Is the BMWG the right home for this I-D?
    (R. White)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-network-benchmark-00.txt

3. IPsec Device Benchmarking Terminology I-D. Introduction and
    current issues. (M. Bustos)
     http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-ipsec-term-00.txt

4. Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic Control Mechanisms
    Attempt.  Communicate latest changes & test progress of
    current WG Last Call. (J. Perser et al.)

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-05.txt

5. Terminology for Benchmark Core Router Software Accelerated
    Life Testing.  Version 00 of this draft seemed to present
    more functional testing than benchmarks - I-D fit to BMWG was
    questioned.  This draft presumes better WG fit; did the principals
    succeed? (S. Poretsky).

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-routersalt-term-01.txt

6. IGP Data plane convergence benchmark I-Ds. Regarding "convergence"
    benchmarking, the WG had restricted scoping of initial
    convergence benchmarks to the control plane.  However, I-Ds below
    were offered as a replacement to the OSPF convergence I-Ds. Should
    they replace the OSPF convergence IDs?  If not, is it time for
    the BMWG to consider explicit data plane convergence?  If yes,
    what is the IGP drafts' relationship to the OSPF convergence
    I-Ds? Replacement on companion? (K. Dubray)

    See BMWG mail archive of OSPF convergence benchmark I-Ds'
    Last Call.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-term-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-meth-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-app-00.txt 

Please help contribute to a successful meeting by reading the above
I-D(s) and references before the meeting.

To offer comments on BMWG work in progress or the agenda itself,
please send email to:

           [email-masked]

Alternatively, to offer potential agenda items, please email:

           [email-masked] and [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Scott Poretsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:42:55 -0500

Kevin,

Thanks for adding "Terminology for Benchmark Core Router Software Accelerated
    Life Testing" to the agenda.

I still _strongly_ believe that the terminology and methodology drafts that 
I wrote for Data Plane Measurements to Benchmark IGP Convergence should be 
on this agenda as well.  The approach and methodology is quite different 
from that provided in items 1 and 2 below as those use Control Plane OSPF 
Intra-area LSAs for Convergence benchmarking.  I think the differences 
between the two sets of documents deserve discussion at the meeting by 
_both_ authors.

I encourage other participants on this mailing list to voice their 
opinions.  In fact, I will add that Russ White and I have come to agreement 
that our documents can co-exist and be parallel work items.

See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-term-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-meth-00.txt
for Data Plane Measurements to Benchmark IGP Convergence.

Thanks,
Scott

---

From: Scott Poretsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:42:55 -0500

Kevin,

See

Thanks,
Scott

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:15:16 -0500

Scott,

I _strongly_ believe your drafts are already there.

Please see the agenda at end of your message...

Al

At 10:42 AM 03/10/2003 -0500, Scott Poretsky wrote:

Kevin,

...

I still _strongly_ believe that the terminology and methodology drafts
that I wrote for Data Plane Measurements to Benchmark IGP Convergence
should be on this agenda as well.  ...

See

for Data Plane Measurements to Benchmark IGP
Convergence.

Thanks,

Scott

Benchmarking Methodology WG
(bmwg)

Al Morton
<[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

outstanding issues isn't clear.  Identification of
outstanding

BMWG mail archive:

2. [Tentative] "Considerations in Benchmarking Routing
Protocol

Network Convergence." Is the BMWG the right home for
this I-D?

(R. White)

Attempt.  Communicate latest changes & test
progress of

Life Testing.  Version 00 of this draft seemed to
present

more functional testing than benchmarks - I-D fit to BMWG
was

questioned.  This draft presumes better WG fit; did the
principals

succeed? (S. Poretsky).

6. IGP Data plane convergence benchmark I-Ds. Regarding
"convergence"

convergence benchmarks to the control plane.  However,
I-Ds below

were offered as a replacement to the OSPF convergence I-Ds.
Should

they replace the OSPF convergence IDs?  If not, is it
time for

the BMWG to consider explicit data plane convergence?
If yes,

what is the IGP drafts' relationship to the OSPF
convergence

See BMWG mail archive of OSPF convergence benchmark
I-Ds'

Last Call.

please send email to:

[email-masked]

bmwg mailing list

[email-masked]

bmwg mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:15:16 -0500

Scott,

Al

Kevin,

...

See

Thanks,

Scott

Al Morton
<[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

BMWG mail archive:

(R. White)

succeed? (S. Poretsky).

Last Call.

please send email to:

[email-masked]

bmwg mailing list

[email-masked]

bmwg mailing list

[email-masked]