Subject: RE: [bmwg] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-05

From: Dana Heins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:14:57 -0800

While we're cleaning up the Delay defintion, perhaps there is a more clear
phrasing of the phrase: 'bit of the IP packet'.  Does 'bit' refer to binary
digit or is it slang meaning  a 'piece of the packet'?  Perhaps it would be
more clear with phrases like:
 
Start of the IP Header (what if it's tunneled?)
Start of packet (but only if qualified IP packet)

-----Original Message-----
From: Debby Stopp [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:41 AM
To: Bmwg (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [bmwg] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-05

I have some comments regarding this definition:

     3.2.4 Delay

        Definition:
          The time interval starting when the last bit of the input IP
          packet reaches the input port of the DUT/SUT and ending when
          the last bit of the output IP packet is seen on the output
          port of the DUT/SUT.

*	 According to this def, we need to be able to determine the time at
which the last bit of the packet reaches the DUT/SUT - isn't this white box?
How are we supposed to find out this time w/out asking the DUT/SUT?  Same
discussion for the other goalpost; how are we supposed to find out the time
that  the last bit left the DUT/SUT? 

*	I question the appropriateness of defining 'delay' specifically in
this document.  The word 'delay', is a well-known & highly utilized term in
the internet community.  I suggest that you append an modifier on this def,
such as "IP Delay" in order to differentiate it from the well-known
terminology usage. 

*	In the same section:

Delay is delay, regardless of the technology being measured. 

 This is an ambiguous statement; either remove it or crisp up exactly what
you were trying to say.

& lastly -  If delay happens and no one measures it, is it still delay?
:) 

Debby Stopp

---

From: "David Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:28:45 -0800

> Does 'bit' refer to binary digit or is it slang meaning  a 'piece of the
packet'?

Bit means binary digit in the dsterm ID -- the same as it does in the mcastm
ID, RFC 1242, RFC 2544, and all other bmwg documents. I am not aware of any
IETF document in which a bit refers to a piece of the packet.

dn

ps. Thanks in advance for using ASCII instead of HTML email.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "David Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:28:45 -0800

packet'?

dn