Subject: RE: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:55:13 -0500

BMWG-ers,

Changes from Terminology Rev 01:

1.  Reorganized organization of terms to better match test model:
	3.1 General Terms............................................. 3

      3.2 Benchmark Planes.......................................... 7
      3.3 Startup................................................... 9
      3.4 Instability...............................................15
      3.5 Recovery..................................................20

2. Added new terms for Benchmarks:
    	  3.3.2.1 Stable Aggregate Forwarding Rate..................10
   	  3.3.2.2 Stable Session Count..............................11
        3.4.2.1 Unstable Aggregate Forwarding Rate................16
        3.4.2.2 Degraded Aggregate Forwarding Rate................16
        3.4.2.3 Average Degraded Aggregate Forwarding Rate........17
        3.5.2.1 Recovered Aggregate Forwarding Rate...............20
        3.5.2.2 Recovery Time.....................................21 
        3.5.2.3 Recovered Uncontrolled Sessions Lost..............21

3. Identified Issues
	a.  Startup Phase definition - When is it complete and ready for
transition to Instability Phase?
	b.  Stable Aggregate Forwarding Rate definition -  Currently
measured while Startup Conditions are 
		being established with DUT.  Should it?

4.  Submitted first draft of general methodology
(draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth-00.txt) as replacement of Framework
document:
	a.  It is still not posted, but will follow-up.
	b.  Table of Contents includes following:
		3. Test
Setup.................................................. 3	
     		3.1 Test
Topologies............................................ 3	
     		3.2 Test
Considerations........................................ 4
    	 	3.3 Reporting
Format........................................... 4
     		3.3.1 Configuration
Sets....................................... 4
     		3.3.2 Instability
Conditions................................... 6
     		3.3.3
Benchmarks............................................... 6
     		4. Test
Cases.................................................. 7 
     		4.1 Failed Primary EBGP
Peer................................... 7
     		4.2 BGP Route
Explosion........................................ 7
     		4.3 Persistent BGP
Flapping.................................... 8
     		4.4 DoS
Attack................................................. 8
      c.  Open issue is definition of DoS Attack for the purpose of this
test.
	Could any DoS Attack be used?  Should DoS Attack be defined?
	d.  What other test cases, if any, should be added to section 4?

Please post any comments to the list.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 10:31 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Terminology for Accelerated Stress Benchmarking
	Author(s)	: S. Poretsky
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 2004-2-17
	
This terminology document provides the terms to be used for 
benchmarking a router or switch under Accelerated Stress conditions.
Terminology is provided for performing this benchmark using
the Contol Plane, Data Plane, Management Plane, and Security 
Plane of the Device Under Test.  Terms are defined for 
Configuration, Startup Conditions, Instability Conditions, Failure
Conditions, and Benchmarks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:55:13 -0500

BMWG-ers,

3. Identified Issues

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 10:31 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-02.txt

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type: