Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] Re: Draft-iet-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-09.txt

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:21:17 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, David B Harrington wrote:
> If, for accuracy reasons, we're going to list required objects
> from other mib modules, then we need to be accurate.

I agree.  I was about to compose a response of my own, but I was
beat to the punch.

[ ... much good stuff snipped ... ]

> --- Suggested changes to -09-:
> The second sentence in 3.2 should be eliminated (as Juergen's proposed
> text has done).
> 
> section 3.2.1 text should be eliminated and should be replaced by text
> that identifies the system objects which substitute for 802.1D
> management objects that are NOT included in this mib module (sysDescr
> and sysUpTime), thus duplicating section 3.1. 
> 
> section 3.2.2 should be trimmed to remove "is defined as being
> mandatory for all systems and", and should add text to identify IF-MIB
> management objects which substitute for 802.1D management objects that
> are NOT included in the mib module (InterfaceIndex and ifIndex), thus
> duplicating section 3.1. The comment about ifMtu might better be moved
> here as well, rather than having it embedded in the module as a
> comment.

This would be a change from 1493, but it would be going in the right
direction, by removing inessential stuff (such as the now-deprecated
objects from the old MIB-II interfaces group) and by not adding any
new stuff.  It is much better than the proposal I recently floated.

//cmh

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib