Subject: Re: W-7 CAP Auto-logout Timer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:12:05 -0400

John responded with:
>> Im using the mind set of an authorized admin, not that of an attacker
>> who may or may not hack my CS.
>
>So am I.  If my server is under attack, and I have no quick way of
>blocking just the attacker, I will shut down the server gracelessly. 

I suspect that this is part of that 20% in the 80/20 rule.  The vast 
majority of times you (or most Admins) want to shut it down are not going 
to be for this.  Then again it maybe it will be if you are the Whitehouse 
(w/o a good firewall)...  Compare the number of times you have cycled you 
server w/the number of times it was done to deny an attacker access (not 
necessarily to recover from an attack that is already over).  The numbers 
should indicate just where in the 20% it falls.

This also still does not counter the usability usefullness of my proposal. 
 Just because my implemenatation of a CS may get attacked someday I 
shouldn't design it to be somewhat CUA/CU friendly is not a good argument.

>(I'm not speaking theoretically here; this happened to me a week or two
>ago.)

Hopefully they didnt get much and you have a line on them!

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:18:02 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> I suspect that this is part of that 20% in the 80/20 rule.

...yeah, I think you're right.

> This also still does not counter the usability usefullness of my

True.

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/