Subject: W-24 CAP Calendar CHARSET property issues

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:29:08 -0700 (PDT)

W-24 CAP Calendar CHARSET property issues      U

Should the default CHARSET be added to a calendar as an optional
property?

I did not see any objections to this - change it to a 'Y' ?

Does this mean that if the property does not exist, the CUA
may assume UTF-8?

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
Pager:				[email-masked]
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:46:43 GMT

>Should the default CHARSET be added to a calendar as an optional

Assume you mean Calendar Property? What about the case where the Calendar 
Property specifies "CHARSET:US-ASCII" and there is a component property 
with a ";LANGUAGE=<russian>" or whatever the country code-language combo 
is. Wouldn't there need to be the ability to set a character set on an 
individual property value? This would involve ISO 2022 style escapement or 
some such mechanism. 
Yep. It is real ugly, but how else do you include multilingual textual 
information in a nominally "western European" calendar?

>I did not see any objections to this - change it to a 'Y' ?
Seems like this needs further discussion (see above) or should be resolved 
as NO, we don't add this property!

>Does this mean that if the property does not exist, the CUA

If the above calendar property is added, then YES, the default would be 
UTF-8, per RFC 2445 default.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:47:04 -0700 (PDT)

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:46:43 GMT
> 
> Assume you mean Calendar Property?

Yes.

> What about the case where the Calendar 

It looks as if you have to charset translate to the default charset?

I had argued for a way to have an optional charset per TEXT property
before RFC2445 was released. I lost the argument.

Is there sufficent mass to reopen this debate? I don't think so.

-Doug

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:22:52 GMT

Am satisfied with CHARSET being a calendar property.