Subject: Olson Database reply - W-22 VTimezones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:36:50 GMT

Here's the vergiage that includes my questions to him and his replies 
interwoven through the text.

- - - -
Pat's question:
1. IETF/IANA will want to make this timezone information, derived from 
your data, freely available to all.  If you have any copyright (or
other intellectual property) on your data, we will need your permission 
before we can
make that available. 
 
Question: will this be a problem and do we have your permission?

Mr. Olson's reply: 
>>All of the time zone work is in the public domain and is freely 
redistributable;
>>nothing is copyrighted.

Pat's question:
2. The calsch working group needs to define clear rules about who can 
change the 
entries in the IETF timezone database.  Typically this involves some sort 
of vetting 
process (say, a last call like procedure on a calendar-specific mailing 
list and 
review by a designated expert).  Also, in an ideal world, IETF's timezone 
database 
would stay in sync with your timezone database (assuming you plan to 
continue 
maintaining this database).  Naturally we cannot (and should not) tell or 
influence 
you on what to do, but it would be good to have an understanding with you 
about whether we should, and how we will, keep things in sync. 
 
Mr. Olson's reply:
>> Right now there's a "time zone mailing list" on which proposed changes
are circulated; if no one blinks, the changes are made available via
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzcodeyyyyx.tar.gz and
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdatayyyyx.tar.gz. These days, Paul Eggert is the
prime mover behind changes to the data; your correspondent handles most 
code
issues.

It might be that having someone on your end monitor the mailing list 
and/or ftp
site would be sufficient.

 --ado

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:30:45 -0700 (PDT)

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:36:50 GMT
> 
> - - - - ...

Great news.

I have taken his source code amd data
	ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzcodeyyyyx.tar.gz
and
	ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdatayyyyx.tar.gz.

Have tweaked it to also produce VTIMEZONE data. I send it out soon.

I'll need someone (many?) to help QA the work.

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
Pager:				[email-masked]
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:55:39 GMT

Excellent.

Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
08/18/99 04:30 PM
Please respond to ietf-calendar

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        Re: Olson Database reply - W-22 VTimezones

Great news.

-Doug
Mountain View, CA 94040                          Ham Radio: N6AAW, 
Aviation: PP-ASEL