Subject: Re: SCHRANGE

From: "greg fitzpatrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:56:21 +0100

Eric asks  - why a new value, why not reuse PERIOD? 

The answer is, that otherwise there is no way to determine the tentative
DATE-TIME status of that PERIOD.  It would appear as if the event we were
describing was actually going to take place during the entire PERIOD and not
just some time during the PERIOD as is our intention.

Another way of achieving this goal would be to create a new value for
STATUS.  A value such as PRELIMINARY-DATETIME for ex.  The flow has been not
to do this, but instead give us an instrument for declaring time-date
windows; that which Frank has suggested we call Scheduling Range. 
Scheduling Range or SCHRANGE is the window within which an activity is
scheduled to occur, prior to the determination of the exact time and date of
the activity.   

In Franks proposed solution, it was still necessary to give a DTSTART value
inside the window, even if the DTSTART value was quite fictive.  Doug's
answer is that this will not be necessary.
We (SKiCAL) are pretty pleased with this solution and I think everyone can
see that SCHRANGE can have many other useful purposes.

Greg      

>From: Doug Royer wrote:
>How about something like the following... ?
>
> DTSTART;VALUE=SCHRANGE:<from-date>,<to-date>
>
>and perhaps:
>
> DTEND;VALUE=SCHRANGE:<from-date>,<to-date>

>Eric Bushboom asked?

>Why is it a new VALUE type? Can we just reuse PERIOD?
>eric.