Subject: Re: DTSTART without end

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:58:00 GMT

Greg:
It is important to distinguish between two cases here.
1. Event with a start but which continue indefinitely.
2. Event description in iCalendar that has a DSTART but no DTEND or 
DURATION.

Case #1, this is do-able in iCalendar using the recurrence grammar.
Case #2, this representation is explicitly allowed in iCalendar. See 
section 4.6.1 "Event Component" and section 4.8.2.4 "Date/Time Start". 
There are two subcases here. One (#2a) is where the value type of DTSTART 
is a DATE value. In such cases, the event lasts the specified day. In the 
second subcase (#2b), the value type is DATE/TIME. In that case, the event 
does not take up any time.
Does these three cases (i.e., #1, #2a and #2b) handle your requirements? 
If not, may be you can explain the scenario that you are attempting to 
handle.
-- Frank

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:29:03 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Greg FitzPatrick" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:23:35 +0200
> 
> Does anyone have some advice to give, or comments to offer, to the calendar
> app programmers who will have to implement calendar objects with a declared
> DTSTART but no declared DTEND?

They are valid.

> Such an object is impossible to create today in Outlook or Organizer.

Buy a better tool :-)

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
Pager:				[email-masked]
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:37:04 -0400

>> DTSTART but no declared DTEND?

Yep but they are not easily expressed in iCalendar.  If you check 4.6.1 Event Component of 2445 it clearly states how entries w/o DTENDs are to be interpreted:

   The "DTSTART" property for a "VEVENT" specifies the inclusive start
   of the event. [Snip]             The "DTEND" property for a "VEVENT"
   calendar component specifies the non-inclusive end of the event. For
   cases where a "VEVENT" calendar component specifies a "DTSTART"
   property with a DATE data type but no "DTEND" property, the events
   non-inclusive end is the end of the calendar date specified by the
   "DTSTART" property. For cases where a "VEVENT" calendar component
   specifies a "DTSTART" property with a DATE-TIME data type but no
   "DTEND" property, the event ends on the same calendar date and time
   of day specified by the "DTSTART" property.

There is no text to describe "open ended" entries that I could find this 
AM (although I thought we had it in somewhere).

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...