Subject: CAP & Deltas

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:07:44 -0500

In the CAP Requirements I read:

4.4     Component Management

   CAP MUST specify, subject to access control:
...
     - How the CUA can modify, add or delete an arbitrary component
     property within a specified calendar.

       For example, modify the SUMMARY property on a calendar
       component.

     - How the CUA can modify a parameter of a multi-valued component
     property within a specified calendar.

       For example, modify the PARTSTAT parameter on an ATTENDEE
       property associated with a particular attendee on a calendar
       component.

I foresee a problem dealing with these 'deltas' and when a CAP server must 
do fall back to iTIP messages.  The current draft does not cover how the 
CS should handle this (although converting the delta into a full 
'snapshot' is straightforward, its not mentioned).   It needs to address 
the case of turning a simple CAP "Remove GEO" operation into the proper 
iTIP REQUEST message.

The process is more complicated when the delta is "Change DTSTART from 9AM 
to 9:05AM"  since by iTIP rules this would denote a change of  SEQUENCE 
whereas the original CAP message may not have specified one.  (Should it?? 
I think so...)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...