Subject: seeking iCalendar resources, including client/server list

From: [email-masked] (Danny Thomas)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:56:52 +1000

I know requests to this list are discouraged, but I can't seem to find a
good source for iCalendar material, eg a list of clients as is available
for vCalendar - searching the archive of this list as a 14M text file is
rather daunting.

I think my main question is fair enough - is there a good resource page for
iCalendar, eg with an faq describing differences to vCalendar, along with a
list of known servers  & clients. Maybe my search attempts have missed the
obvious, but I would be expecting something by now - the initial rfc has
been out for two years.

Somebody might care to offer some advice & suggestions for our needs

we're a research institute of around 350 people, mainly Mac but with some
Windows & SGI/Unix users, so we're looking for a cross-platform personal,
group & resource calendaring/scheduling system. In the medium term, we
expect to migrate most Macs to MacOS X which amongst other things will
offer a much better java implementation (so says Apple)

A web-solution would work for most of our users, but we also require

1) the calendar should be available off-line so a travelling person can see
their dairy when not net-connected, and can also makes changes which get
synced to the server when they go back on-line.

2) While it's not an immediate issue, syncing with PDA's will also be
important. Maybe the PDA's are getting smarter and can directly sync with
the iCalendar server?

We are aware of MeetingMaker, but the licensing is around US$100 for each
calendar in the system.

The jetspeed apache project has recently produced an iCalendar server
(http://java.apache.org/jetspeed/site/iCalendar.html), which we could run,
but we probably need (java?) clients to address points (1) & (2).

We'd be grateful for any advice

cheers,
Danny Thomas

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:40:18 -0500

> good source for iCalendar material, eg a list of clients as is available

Pat & Bob said at the meeting that they would make such a list available on
<http://www.calsched.org> (hosted by MIT), once that site is active (Bob says
"within 3 weeks").

(I would just wait for Pat or Bob to answer, but I think they're both in the
air today.)

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |World domination should never be left to chance.|
[email-masked]|                                                |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:00:17 -0500

I'm still safely on the ground...  :-)

We don't yet have this registered (today, I hope), so please don't 
publicize this address.  An announcement will go to the list when 
it's ready, and I still stand by my 30week guess.

That said, we do intend to answer the sort of questions Danny posed 
with these pages.

-Bob

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:12:53 -0500

At 7:00 PM -0500 12/14/00, Bob Mahoney wrote:
>
>I still stand by my 30week guess.

Ok, before anyone asks, that's supposed to read "3-week"...  :-)

-Bob