Subject: Re: converting Olson timezone database to VTIMEZONEs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:30:47 -0600

Hi Damon. 

 Doug Royer did just that.  He also sent a note to IANA to register
what he had done.  In talking with CS&T at the IETF this week, they said they
have found some missing timezones from the Olson database.  They have a more
comprehensive database.  Let me see if I can find out where Doug has the
database.  He is out on medical leave and it may take me a few days.  However,
we would really like to have someone besides Doug working on the timezone
effort.  So, I think it would be excellent that you get involved as well.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652
|-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------|
|                         |   Damon Chaplin         |                         |
|                         |   <[email-masked]> |           To:           |
|                         |   Sent by:              |   "[email-masked]|
|                         |   owner-ietf-calendar@ma|   "                     |
|                         |   il.imc.org            |   <[email-masked]|
|                         |                         |   >                     |
|                         |   12/14/00 03:11 PM     |           cc:           |
|                         |                         |           Subject:      |
|                         |                         |   converting Olson      |
|                         |                         |   timezone database to  |
|                         |                         |   VTIMEZONEs            |
|-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------|

Hi,

Has anyone converted the Olson timezone database to VTIMEZONE format?

I'm thinking of having a go, but don't want to repeat work already done.

Damon

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:16:57 +0000

My first go at the Olson -> VTIMEZONE conversion app is here:

  http://www.karuna.freeserve.co.uk/vzic.tgz

The VTIMEZONE output is here:

  http://www.karuna.freeserve.co.uk/vtimezones.tgz

Don't rely on the output too much yet! I haven't checked it at all.

Comments welcome.

Damon