Subject: CAP - Mutual Trust Model

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:06:13 -0700

Folks,

One of the issues we need to nail is a question about whether or not
there is a mutual trust model between CAP servers.  My recommendation is
that we to NOT try to put anything like this in the first pass of CAP.
First, it will be complicated. Second, a CAP server is a *very* useful
thing even in the absence of a mutual trust model. Finally, if you are a
cap server vendor, you could implement your own version of mutual trust
(then you could even put together a draft to propose how we should
implement it :-).

Any objections to excluding a mutual trust model in CAP?

-Steve

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:28:05 -0400

Steve Mansour wrote:

>First, it will be complicated.
>
Also risky.  I think you're right; we should put it off.

-- 
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"The avalanche has already started. It is too|
[email-masked]|late for the pebbles to vote." --Kosh        |
\==============================================================/

---

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:19:13 -0400

I agree. We should exclude it, and perhaps mention in the
draft that CAP does not specify a mutual trust model between
CAP servers and it is left to the implementors to come up with
their own model.

George

---

From: "David L. Nicol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:15:16 -0500

> Any objections to excluding a mutual trust model in CAP?

If we accept the AUTHORIZE primitive, it would work very nicely for
a mechanism for a CS to authorize itself to another CS.  My suggestion
is therefore to suggest this as an example of the kind of thing you
can do with an AUTHORIZE primitive.

-- 
                                           David Nicol 816.235.1187
                            "Your plastic pal who's fun to be with"