Subject: CAP TODO: anonymous MUST

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:44:46 -0700

> - Is anonymous authentication a MUST?
>  see post: "CAP: MUST anonymous auth?"

It is a MUST - however a CS administrator MAY elect not to allow any
such authentications. However I would think that is an 
administrative policy. The reason it is a MUST for all implementations
is so the name 'anonymous' and the mechanism described for
anonymous is reserved to ONLY mean what CAP says it means.

It is needed only by sites that allows public or named-domain-public
anonymous self-invitations. Samples:

 Base ball games - where you invite yourself by buying a ticket
 and select (schedule) a seat. They really don't care who you are as long
 as your credit card worked.

 Notification of events on a public (or at at least accessible to
 you) calendar - by anyone that can connect and wants an iCal
 object for:
 
	Season game times
	Favorite event times
	Sunset / sunrise times 
        ...

 When you really don't care who

-Doug