Subject: Re: 2445:4.1 (x-name) is misleading.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:34:20 -0500

John wrote:
>>2445:4.1 (x-name) is misleading.  At least it mislead me.
>>
>Actually, I think you're right in your reading of it; it's just that, 
>since 2445 was written, everybody's understanding of X- has drifted. 
> I, for one, had forgotten that it was forbidden in released software, 
>and had come to think of it as meaning the same thing it does in 
>RFC-[2]822 headers: "use at your own risk".

The reason that we put 'vendor' ids in there was so that any vendor could 
send C&S related info tag'd as belonging to themselves and not worry about 
it accidentally matching the recieving CUAs expectations.  That is, if 
Notes wants to send along some extra info that other Notes client (or 
those that grok the Notes 'schema' [shudder]) need/want then it can do so 
w/o fear of someone using, say, Outlook from mistakenly misusing the data 
for something else entirely (or incorrectly).  In effect, its a kind of 
namespace definition w/in 'eXtension' or 'eXperimental' properties.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...