Subject: Wildcard for componet name.

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:08:14 -0700

To allow for future components and remove an existing limitation.

> 5.1.4 Example, Query by UID

>   This example would select the entire contents of the component with
>   the UID property equal to "uid123" and not expand any multiple
>   instances of the component.  If the CUA does not know if "uid123" was
>   a VEVENT, VTODO, VJOURNAL, or other component, then all components
>   that the CUA supports MUST be supplied on the QUERY property.  This
>   example assumes the CUA only supports VTODO and VEVENT.

I propose an addition that would allow CUAs the ability to
fetch components that it does not support, but the CU may wish
to view:

    Additionally a wild card ("*") value MAY BE be be supplied as
    the component name that will cause the CS to search all components
    even if the CUA does not understand all of the component types.

I think this is simply removing a limitation, not adding any more
complexity.

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:54:31 -0500

I like the wildcard idea.  It's the same sort of idea as the MIME rule 
that, if you don't understand multipart/foo, you treat it as 
multipart/mixed, so that at least the user can see all the parts.

Sort of "First, do no harm".

/=======================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.|
|=======================================================|
|Solipsists have all the fun.                           |
\=======================================================/