Subject: RE: MIME Multiple body parts (Was Re: uid...)

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:16:26 -0500

>How would you encode a iCalendar object holding multiple vEVENTS that 
were
>in DIFFERENT languages

You have that problem even without multiple VEVENTs.  For example, if one 
attendee's name is, say, Portugese, and another is Japanese.  If they're 
going to have a meeting, they may well be able to speak each other's 
languages, so the organizer may want to express both names correctly, 
rather than giving the Romanization of the Japanese name. 

This can even come up within a single person's name.  Consider a person 
living in Mexico (where both parents' surnames are used), whose father is 
Mexican and whose mother is Japanese.  Spelling their name *correctly* may 
require characters from two different national character sets.

The solution, of course, is Unicode.

/=============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer          |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.     |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.     |
|=============================================================|
|"The Elliot 903 was the first portable I ever used, though it|
|needed a furniture van to *make* it portable." --Will Rose   |
\=============================================================/

---

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:45:36 -0600

John,

Unicode is a solution - but may have difficulties for certain Asian
languages, specifically there appear to be commonly used Japanese character
sets that are not in UTF8.

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John Stracke
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 8:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: MIME Multiple body parts (Was Re: uid...)

were

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:06:57 -0700

> sets that are not in UTF8.

I think that all of the Japanese characters can be displaid in UTF8,
however it is in-efficient. But many experts tell me that it is just a 
preference.

Any MIME compliant reader can do charset conversions so you
can see the text in your preferred charset.

I am waiting for someone to do lang conversion :-)

An iCalendar object is UTF8 unless the MIME header says otherwise.
I know the WG decided this for CAP, and I think for iCalendar.

-Doug