Subject: Re: ALARMID to VALARM after stored?

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:54:31 -0500

>Actually, it would be useful to allow VALARMs contained
>within VEVENT and VTODO to make reference to VALARMs
>contained in VAGENDAs

What is a VAGENDA? It's not in 2445 or in draft-ietf-calsch-cap-05.

> to allow calendar users to easily
>manage their preferred alarm properties (e.g., alarm lead
>time) in few VALARMs.

I absolutely disagree.  Once you do that, you have to start establishing 
an infrastructure to let the CUA know which VALARMs store "preferred alarm 
properties" and which don't.  We have no need to add preferences support 
to CAP; those who want to store prefs on the server can use ACAP.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.        |
|===============================================================|
|The Net was designed to survive nukes, but not lawsuits. Wait a|
|minute.                                                        |
\===============================================================/

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:02:07 -0500

> What is a VAGENDA? It's not in 2445 or in draft-ietf-calsch-cap-05.

VAGENDA was introduced in September and was added
to the lastest interim version of CAP. You can look
at the following posts:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg02124.html
http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg02129.html
http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg02627.html

> to CAP; those who want to store prefs on the server can use ACAP.

The same way VCARs can make reference to other VCARs (CARREF),
and VEVENTs can make reference to VTIMEZONE components (TZID),
why couldn't VALARMs make reference to other VALARMs?

CUAs already have to deal with stored VQUERYs and VTIMEZONEs as
top level components, I don't see why they would be confused
with VALARMs as top level components.

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878