Subject: VCAR: Overriding inherited VCAR

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:37:56 -0500

CAP avoids precedence problems with VCAR by specifying the
following in section 2.4.4 (Access Rights - Summary):

   The access for a particular UPN is the union of all
   grants for that UPN minus the union of its denies.

which implies that a RIGHTS that denies access always takes
precedence over a RIGHTS that grant access.

On the other hand, in section 2.4.5 (Inheritance) it
specifies that:

   VCARs specified in a calendar or a sub-calendar override
   all inherited VCARs.

What does "override" means/implies?   As soon a VCAR is
stored in a calendar all inherited VCARs, except decreed
VCARs, are completely ignored?  Or, simply, individual
RIGHTS denied in a parent calendar could be granted in
a sub-calendar?

Does anybody know why the ability to override inherited
VCARs is required in CAP?

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:52:36 -0700

Bernard Desruisseaux wrote:
> VCARs, are completely ignored? 

No.

> Or, simply, individual

Yes. It is worded badly. New text needed.
Calendar specific GRANT and DENY override inherited GRANT/DENY.

> VCARs is required in CAP?

So the calendar owners can control their own calendars.
So all sub-calendars do not have to have exactly the same
access rights as their parent calendar.

Otherwise the site administrator would have to GRANT or DENY
all UPN's access to all calendars or none of them.
And you would have to GRANT or DENY all UPN's to any calendar
to all of the sub-calendars.