Subject: Re: CAP TODO: disconnect

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:51:43 -0500

>I think that on most Unix systems the default is a 2 minute
>wait per connection.

Yes.  This is a big problem with HTTP/1.0: normally, the server is the one 
to close the connection, so a busy server gets stuck with lots and lots of 
TIME_WAIT sockets, each taking up a slot in the socket table.  As of about 
1996, most kernels defaulted to something like 2000 sockets; they could be 
configured for more, but some did linear searches, which meant serious 
pain.  That's part of why, in HTTP/1.1, persistent connections are the 
default.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.         |
|=================================================================|
|Amazing Fact: If there are three cats in a room, they will form a|
|triangle!                                                        |
\=================================================================/