Subject: CAP: COALESCE property in VQUERY

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:14:57 -0500

In http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg03240.html
(VCAR: CARID Property) we agreed to have a COALESCE property
in VQUERY components to specify whether returned VCARs should
be coalesced or not (default is FALSE).

By default (COALESCE:FALSE), VCAR components will be returned
as is (raw) to the owner of the VCAR components, and MAY be
returned coalesced to the non-owners for security reasons.

If COALESCE:TRUE, then VCAR components MUST be returned coalesced.

How should we define COALESCE in the draft?

1- When COALESCE is TRUE, only VCARs that pertain to the
   authenticated user MUST be returned, and the GRANT and
   DENY properties of the returned VCARs MUST only specify
   the UPN of the authenticated users.

2- When COALESCE is TRUE, multiple VCARs with the same CARID
   (is that allowed?) MUST be returned as a single VCAR.
   [ As I mentioned in the introduction of my proposal we
   would need to add a grouping component (e.g., VRIGHTS) for
   that purpose. ].

3- When COALESCE is TRUE and the user is searching for
     CARID = 'REQUESTONLY' OR CARID = 'DEFAULTOWNER'
   what should we returned?  A single coalesced VCAR
   with no CARID, or two coalesced VCARs with each a
   CARID?

(1) makes plenty of sense and has been agreed more than
once by this WG.  (2) and (3) aren't clear to me yet.

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878