Subject: Re: CAP & BEEP: Initial connection

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:53:48 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Did you guys mean to say that:
> 
> 3. Protocol Framework
> CAP uses the BEEP application protocol kernel mapped onto TCP (refer
> to [BEEP] and [BEEPTCP] for more information). The default port that
> the Calendar Service listens for connections on is port 5229.
> 
> from the latest draft covers "How does a CUA connect up to the CS and
> authenticate with it?"  If you did, its needs to be MUCH clearer.   At
> least you MUST put some text like "Authentication and session creation
> management are covered in sections XXX and YYY of [RFC...]".
> 
> Its just not clear (or even vaguely clear) how a CUA gets the session
> to the CS going...

[I MOVED THIS TO THE WG LIST]

If you read BEEP you will know :-)

Yes I too think it needs to explicitly say how.

I do agree that we MUST mandate at least ONE minimum authentication
level that CS/BEEP MUST support.  This was dictated to us by
the area directors years ago.

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:18:57 -0800

> the area directors years ago

take a look at Section 8 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-etal-beep-soap-06.txt for some
tried-and-true boilerplate (but ignore the paragraph starting with
"Further," as it doesn't apply to cap).

/mtr