Subject: Re: RELATED-TO vs CHILD/PARENT

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:59:08 -0500

>> 1) Currently VQUERY can not express condition on parameters.
>
>It is missing - good point. We agreed it would look like
>this - but it was never written down and is not in the ABNF.
>
>                SELECT * FROM VEVENT where ATTENDEE.PARTSTAT = 'ACCEPTED'

I remember that.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.         |
|================================================================|
|He wondered if Elli was going to buy that explanation. His taste|
|for heavily-armed girlfriends did have its drawbacks.           |
\================================================================/

---

From: Patrice Lapierre <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Jan 2002 11:30:55 -0500

Tiny proposition, would it be more consistent with iCalendar 
to use ';' (instead of '.') as a delimiter for parameters?

e.g.

  SELECT * FROM VEVENT WHERE ATTENDEE;PARSTAT = 'ACCEPTED'

  This however look less like SQL. Another alternative
more in the pholosophy of SQL (IMHO) could be:

  SELECT * FROM VEVENT WHERE PARAM(ATTENDEE,'PARTSTAT') = 'ACCEPTED'

  But I prefer the special ';' or '.' syntax. 

Comments?

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:24:28 -0700

>   But I prefer the special ';' or '.' syntax.

In SQL  the '.' is used to seperate tables and collumns, as in

	SELECT * FROM TABLE where tbl.col = 'foo'

Currently SQL-MIN is an subset of SQL-92, If we change
it to ';', it will not be valid SQL.

-Doug