Subject: Re: CAP: Badly formed SQL

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:21:29 -0500

>Or we could define a must support set of command to
>meet the cap-requirements specification using this schema
>and SQL syntax.

What, so there would be certain canned SQL queries that would be the only 
ones the CUA could depend on? I don't like that; if you're going to have 
limited queries, why not just do them by name instead of pretending you 
support SQL?

/==============================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer            |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.       |
|==============================================================|
|"But she calls her ship _Mercy of the Goddess_!" "Kali." "Oh."|
\==============================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:10:33 -0700

John Stracke wrote:
> What, so there would be certain canned SQL queries that would be
> the only ones the CUA could depend on? I don't like that; if you're
> going to have limited queries, why not just do them by name instead
> of pretending you support SQL?

That is one choice. And it may be what it takes to get CAP out.
We *could* do SQL-MIN and define it to mean some canned named queries.
And these queries would map to the CAP-REQUIREMENTS document that
I seem to have lost :-)

Then (as in *IF/MAYBE/OPTION*) release a separate full blown query
in a separate draft???

In that way we *could* specify that in SQL-MIN, the query be
something like:

C:	BEGIN:VQUERY
C:	QUERYNAME:GET-ALL-VEVENTS-FOR-TODAY
C:	END:VQUERY

S:	<mime-header>
S:	BEGIN:VCALENDR
S:	... < n number of BEGIN/END VEVENTs> ...
S:	END:VCALENDAR

and something like:

C:	BEGIN:VQUERY
C:	QUERYNAME:GET-ALL-TRIGGERS-FOR-NEXT-24-HOURS
C:	END:VQUERY

S:	...

And that is ALL that would be sent for that query, to the CS.
Then we *could* hash out a full query language later?????

Queries by function:

    Get the entire calendar and all components and sub-components.

    Get all non-booked entries.

    Get only booked entries.

	...

This would mean we take all SQL out of CAP and replace it
with a MINIMUM set of canned queries - by NAME. - As an option?