Subject: Re: CAP: LANGUAGE parameter

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:27:24 -0500

>Can we change our restriction tables to allow LOCATION,
>SUMMARY, CATEGORIES, NAME, etc. to occur more than once
>in our components?

Not without breaking compatibility with 2445.

In any event, simply adding multiple properties isn't clear enough--do two 
LOCATION properties mean two alternate names for the same location, or two 
separate locations (for example, a party that starts at a restaurant and 
goes on to a theatre)? We'd have to come up with a structured model, with 
analogues of MIME's multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative.

As a workaround, you could use ALTREP and a data: URI (RFC-2397):

LOCATION;ALTREP=<data:text/plain;charset=utf-8,MontrÃ©al>;LANGUAGE=en:Montreal

(all the stuff within <> has to be escaped, of course, since it uses ; and 
:).

Pretty messy, I admit--and the data: doesn't support a Content-Language: 
header, so you can't tag the "MontrÃ©al" as being fr-CA.

/===========================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer         |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.    |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.    |
|===========================================================|
|"I only wish I had time to get married myself, as I've told|
|m'wife many's the time."                                   |
\===========================================================/

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:49:21 -0500

> Not without breaking compatibility with 2445.

You're right. It is clear in 2445 that LOCATION and SUMMARY
MUST NOT occur more than once.

On the other hand, CATEGORIES and COMMENT MAY occur more than
once in 2445 but not in CAP.  We need to fix the restriction
tables in CAP.

> analogues of MIME's multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative.

I agree that multiple instances may not be appropriate for some
properties but it is a pity that 2445 doesn't provide us with a
"proper" way of doing that.

The same way 2445 allows TZNAME to occur more than once, I propose
that CAP allows the property NAME to occur more than once in the
components VAGENDA and VCAR.

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:14:23 -0700

> Not without breaking compatibility with 2445.

It would break iTIP, but I don' think that there are
restriction tables in 2445.

Also, as LANGUAGE is a valid paramater to the ATTENDEE
property (it applies to the CN paramater), then there
could only be one ATTENDEE per UPN, and only one LANGUAGE
per UPN. Multiple LANGUAGEs would have to be restricted
to specific sets.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:18:32 -0700

> "proper" way of doing that.

We could invent something like ALT_LOCATION, ALT_SUMMARY, ...
to mean alternate:

	LOCATION;LANGUAGE=fr_ca:MontrÃ©al
	ALT_LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en:Montreal

It would not break iTIP.

---

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:42:13 -0600

Just a quick comment... how would you "know" which to use?

I think that from a programming standpoint, having multiple copies but with
a differentiating characteristic - such as LANGUAGE - makes it fairly
obvious how a software program would "choose" which to use - i.e. a user
pref stating "use LANGUAGE=fr_ca" - would be trivial and simple.

On the other hand, having multiple representations of what could be the same
value - means that at a minimum switching language contexts gets potentially
uglier... and might logically require a renaming of the two fields - i.e. a
swap of which is the "ALT_"

(and re another thread - would it be ALT_LOCATION or ALT-LOCATION?)

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Doug Royer
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 5:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: CAP: LANGUAGE parameter

It would not break iTIP.

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:07:15 -0500

>         ALT_LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en:Montreal

ALT-LOCATION (with a '-' and not a '_') sounds good to me.

Regards,
Bernard