Subject: Re: Propose we remove SQL-92 as a capability

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:40:24 -0500

>Patrice Lapierre wrote:
>>
>> > >    4) Search on properties with multiple values or occurrences.
>> > >
>> > >       The following operations are basic to a CUA:
>> > >
>> > >        - Find all VEVENTs with my PARTSTAT set to 'NEEDS-ACTION'
>> >
>> >       SELECT * FROM VEVENT WHERE VEVENT.PARTSTAT = 'NEEDS-ACTION'

And if PARTSTAT is a parameter that can appear on properties other than 
ATTENDEE?

>>  It's the query on properties with multiple occurrence (e.g. ATTENDEE)
>> seem to conflict with SQL.
>
>Why? The above SELECT could return (in the same reply):

But there's no way to filter out just ATTENDEES where the value is 'Doug' 
and the PARTSTAT is 'NEEDS-ACTION'; the relational model can't handle it. 
You'd have to do filtering on the CUA, which wastes bandwidth.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer               |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.          |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.          |
|=================================================================|
|Amazing Fact: If there are three cats in a room, they will form a|
|triangle!                                                        |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:21:44 -0700

> And if PARTSTAT is a parameter that can appear on properties other than

The example I gave above is bogus. See latest post on this topic.

> You'd have to do filtering on the CUA, which wastes bandwidth.

YES - but we can't do EVERYTHING in the query language.
The CUA can do the work. Lets define a MINIMUM set of
commands for CAP - and do a REALLY-NICE query language
in a separate draft?