Subject: Apple's "iCal"?

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:13:40 -0400

Does anyone know any specifics about:

http://www.apple.com/ical/

"Apple redefines the desktop calendar"

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:16:53 -0400

> http://www.apple.com/ical/

Hmm:

    Publishing calendars on the Internet requires a .Mac
    <http://www.mac.com/> membership or a WebDAV server.

Sounds like they're going the Exchange route, using HTTP to push the 
calendar data up to a server.  Probably not compatible with Exchange, or 
they'd say so.  The big question is, are they using iCalendar, or 
something proprietary?

-- 
/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|This is the .sig that says... Ni!                       |
\========================================================/

---

From: "Darryl Champagne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:07:27 -0400

They list support for SyncML, which allows any standard type.  This would
boil down to using either vCal or iCal for calendar data, as those are the
only two standards currently that can be certified for calendar data.  Most
current SyncML devices only support vCal.

Which they use up to a server could be either (or proprietary, although they
already must support the standard versions).

dgc
Darryl G. Champagne               Openwave Systems Inc.
Mobile Development                One Burlington Woods Drive
Email: [email-masked]  Burlington, MA 01803 USA
(W) +1.781.313.1361               (M) +1.781.820.2283
-------------------------------------------------------------
Privacy and Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this electronic mail message
is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may contain
privileged and confidential information.  If you are not an
intended recipient, you must not copy, forward, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received
this electronic mail message in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
-------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John Stracke
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Apple's "iCal"?

Hmm:

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:38:01 -0400

I've been told this morning by a Mac developer that it does indeed 
use iCal, but his info came from a private list, so I don't have any 
official word as yet.  (trying...)

This would obviously be a Good Thing if true.

-Bob

---

From: "ArentJan Banck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:22:40 +0200

I did not see any reference to SyncML on the Apple page. The only talk about
iSync, but the
iSync page http://www.apple.com/isync/  doesn't mention compatibility with
SyncML...

The Ericsson T68i mentioned on the Apple site however does support SyncML,
and if it uses Symbian, Symbian seems to support vCalendar.

So I would expect vCal and SyncML is used for syncing, no mention of the
internal format used.

ArentJan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:56:26 -0400

> So I would expect vCal and SyncML is used for syncing, no mention of the

On the web page they claim "Send standards-based email event invitations" 
and that is only doable in iCalendar (vCalendar is "PIM only" really). 
Maybe we can get them to vAttend CalConnect III since they dont have to 
worry about anyone peeking under their kimono that way.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:27:00 -0400

At 2:56 PM -0400 7/18/02, [email-masked] wrote:

On the web page they claim "Send standards-based email event 
invitations" and that is only doable in iCalendar (vCalendar is "PIM 
only" really).  Maybe we can get them to vAttend CalConnect III since 
they dont have to worry about anyone peeking under their kimono that 
way.

Our Apple rep is down in NYC, and he's going to try and chase down a 
definitive contact for me.  I'll certainly try and interest them in 
CC3...  :-)

-Bob

---

From: Olivier Gutknecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:16:06 +0200

Hello,

Bob Mahoney wrote:
> only" really).

Yes, Apple iCal is iCalendar based.

> worry about anyone peeking under their kimono that way.

:-)
We plan to participate to standard and interoperability efforts in the 
future. For release schedule reasons, we don't know yet if we will be 
able to attend vCalConnect III.

Ol.

---

From: Bertrand Guiheneuf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:03:11 +0200

also, we have to admit we put no specific efforts in ensuring perfect 
inter-operability in this version, but we definitely aim at being 
better citizens in future releases.

Bertrand.

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 04:16  PM, Olivier Gutknecht wrote:

>> Maybe we can get them to vAttend CalConnect III since they dont have 
>> to worry about anyone peeking under their kimono that way.
>
> :-)