Subject: Schudling an event 'asap'

From: Paul Sharpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:14:52 -0700

How can I use iCalendar to schedule an event 'as soon as possible' i.e.
as soon as there's an available slot in a calendar?  Looking at RFC
2445, the only approach I can see is to use a non-standard property e.g.
X-DTSTART: ASAP.

Cheers,

paul

-- 
Paul Sharpe - Technical Director  Tel: +44 (0)1483 894158
Russell Sharpe Ltd.               Fax: +44 (0)1483 898932
The Tannery, Tannery Lane         mailto:[email-masked]
Bramley, Surrey GU5 0AJ, UK

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 16:29:12 -0600

> 2445, the only approach I can see is to use a non-standard property e.g.

You have to get the calendars BUSY (VFREEBUSY) time and
then do an iTIP (RFC 2446) METHOD:REQUEST for the time slot.

There is no 'notification' in 2445, 2446, 2447, or CAP.

There would be some issues that would have to be worked
out to make such a request. Interesting add-on idea.

-Doug

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:14:55 -0700

Paul,

RFC 2445 does not address your problem.  It is simply a schema.  Your
problem is specific to scheduling. I believe it would fall more in the CAP
domain (and possibly iTIP) than the iCalendar domain.

I think what you're trying to do will turn out to be a client feature rather
than something we build into a protocol RFC. We do need to make sure you
have the raw functionality to build this feature, and I believe that
functionality is present.

-Steve