Subject: Re: "and so this is Christmas, and what have you done?"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:14:56 -0500

Helge, this is a great idea.  It would be great if you can do that for us.

Helge Hess <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
12/10/2003 11:45

To
John Stracke <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: "and so this is Christmas, and what have you done?"

On Dec 10, 2003, at 5:16 PM, John Stracke wrote:
> Personally, I don't think bugzilla is that hard to use, but then I've 
> been using it since 1996.  :-) (It was an internal tool at Netscape, 
> called bugsplat, before it was released with Mozilla.)

Bugzilla is an excellent tool to track/classify/search issues, manage 
votes and do a "structured discussion".

> I'd be willing to take a crack at getting it set up, if the WG wants 
> it.  Or...Damon, are you still here? Ximian already has a bugzilla 
> system set up for Evolution, etc.; would you guys be willing to extend 
> it for calsch? That might be more reliable than me hosting it on my 
> home boxen.

If this is of interest, we could jump in and create a Bugzilla category 
for calsch at the OpenGroupware.org Bugzilla:
   http://bugzilla.opengroupware.org/bugzilla/index.cgi

Let me know if you are interested in that.

best regards,
   Helge
-- 
OpenGroupware.org => http://www.opengroupware.org/

---

From: Helge Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:39:07 +0100

> Helge, this is a great idea.  It would be great if you can do that for 

No problem, I've just created:
- a CALSCH product, which is the entry point for the group
- a component (read: topic/category) "general" for general issues
- a user "[email-masked]" which is set as the initial owner
   for "general" issues (receives mail on each issue)

So feel free to create an own account in Bugzilla for posting new 
issues. There are two forms, an easy one:
   http://bugzilla.opengroupware.org/bugzilla/easy_enter_bug.cgi
and a "poweruser" one:
   
http://bugzilla.opengroupware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=CALSCH

Now we need to decide what additional "components" (discussion topics) 
we need - eg iMIP, CAP, Interoperability, ... - so that issues can be 
properly classified.

Let me know if you need anything else.

best regards,
   Helge

-- 
OpenGroupware.org
http://www.opengroupware.org/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:46:27 -0700

I have closed the one at http://INET-Consulting.com/bugzilla .
Old records still viewable.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:05:26 -0500

> Old records still viewable.

Should old calsch-related bugs be migrated over to the new Bugzilla?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:14:41 -0500

> Let me know if you need anything else.

I for one have not really used bugzilla before (I tried using the older 
one found it less than intuitive so I gave up).  Is there a QuickRef or 
Cheat Sheet to get use non-bugzilla users up to speed on using it?

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:02:47 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> Is there a QuickRef or Cheat Sheet to get use non-bugzilla users up to 
> speed on using it? 

http://www.bugzilla.org/docs216/html/using.html

-- 
/============================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                     |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                   |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                  |
|============================================================|
|"I lost an 7-foot boa constrictor once in our house." --Gary|
|Larson on his youth                                         |
\============================================================/

---

From: Tim Hare <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:54:13 -0500

Thank you, Helge Hess, for the bugzilla setup. Now, I have some 
semi-related questions:

1) I just remembered that Doug's site used to have a bugzilla for CAP - do 
we need to move things over?
2) Is there an issue-numbering or issue-naming convention built into 
bugzilla, or should we come up with one?
3) If we do have a convention, may I suggest that we then adopt the 
practice on this mailing list of leading off each subject line with an 
issue identifer (or Re: issue identifier in the case of a reply)? This 
would then make thread and archive searching a little easier

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

At 07:39 PM 12/10/03 +0100, you wrote:

>So feel free to create an own account in Bugzilla for posting new issues. 
>There are two forms, an easy one:
>Now we need to decide what additional "components" (discussion topics) we 
>need - eg iMIP, CAP, Interoperability, ... - so that issues can be 
>properly classified.
>

---

From: Helge Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:08:22 +0100

On Dec 12, 2003, at 4:54 AM, Tim Hare wrote:
> 1) I just remembered that Doug's site used to have a bugzilla for CAP 
> - do we need to move things over?

I had a look whether there are categories, but I didn't found any. Is a 
lot of stuff contained there? (how many issues?)

> bugzilla, or should we come up with one?

You mean the "bug tracking ID", yes, this can be used.

> would then make thread and archive searching a little easier

This is automatically done by Bugzilla and after all the reason to use 
it ;-)

It doesn't provide threading though, only flat comments. On the other 
side you can structure and link bugs, eg say that one issues blocks 
another or that issues are the same, etc.

best regards,
   Helge