Subject: xCalendar questions

From: Tim Hare <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:26:49 -0500

On a semi-unrelated project, I'm trying to develop an XML DTD for 
conference information. I thought it might be good to use some of the 
xCalendar syntax, using the xCalendar namespace; however it appears that 
the file does not exist on the IETF site. Has this work been abandoned in 
favor of something else?  If so, can anyone point me to good XML calendar 
information?

I'm no XML expert; I'm working from prior experience with SGML-based markup 
languages in IBM's product DCF/Script. I have some other questions related 
to this work, if anyone with XML experience wants to e-mail me privately I 
have a couple of questions.

Thanks
Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:00:33 -0700

Try:

http://INET-Consulting.com/xcal.txt

However that one had too many controversial things in it.

The problem with a DTD is it made x-objects almost impossible.

I think the next xCal should be just a simple one to one translations.

<icalendar>               <-- an outer layer so you can have multiple 
vcalednars>
 <vcalendar>
  <version>2.0</version>
  <property param='value'>prop value</proprety>
 ....
 </vcalendar>
 </vcalendar>
  ...
 </vcalendar>
</icalendar>

And property and parameter values backslash or entity encoded 'as is'.

Properties
Tim Hare wrote:

> xCalendar syntax, using the xCalendar namespace; however it appears 
> that the file does not exist on the IETF site. Has this work been 
> abandoned in favor of something else?  If so, can anyone point me to 
> good XML calendar information?
>
> I'm no XML expert; I'm working from prior experience with SGML-based 
> markup languages in IBM's product DCF/Script. I have some other 
> questions related to this work, if anyone with XML experience wants to 
> e-mail me privately I have a couple of questions.
>
> Thanks
> Tim Hare

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Gary Frederick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:40:09 -0600

I agree.

Will there be a 'next xCal'?

Gary

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:11:51 -0700

Yes, it it is about time we restarted it.

We agreed to be quiet until CAP was out.
CAP is close and there is more interest in XML calendaring.

I have set the reply-to address to xcal-dev, so
follow-ups there please.

Gary Frederick wrote:

>>> conference information. I thought it might be good to use some of 
>>> the xCalendar syntax, using the xCalendar namespace; however it 
>>> appears that the file does not exist on the IETF site. Has this work 
>>> been abandoned in favor of something else?  If so, can anyone point 
>>> me to good XML calendar information?
>>>
>>> questions related to this work, if anyone with XML experience wants 
>>> to e-mail me privately I have a couple of questions.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Tim Hare

--