Subject: rules of engagement for ietf-calendar

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:56:57 -0800 (PST)

(Let me say first that I apologize for the delay in getting this message
out, but personal matters got in the way of my taking up the baton as WG
co-chair as quickly as I had hoped to.  - RL "Bob")

There has been considerable discussion of the state of the IETF calsch WG,
at the recent WG meeting at IETF 58 and elsewhere.  It is clear that,
while many people and organizations have a strong interest in seeing this
WG complete its chartered goals, many potentially productive participants
have been driven away from the WG based on their perception that the group
is just broken.

Let's say this as plainly as possible:  this WG must very soon start
working effectively, or it will be shut down.  It's possible that a new WG
could be chartered, following a BoF; even if this happened the completion
of standards-track calendar documents would be delayed by many months or
years.

There are several aspects to working effectively, but the first step is
proper behavior on this mailing list.  First, all WG participants should
take a few minutes and read BCP 54 (aka RFC 3184), "IETF Guidelines for
Conduct", and act accordingly.  (Extra credit reading: Radia Perlman's
presentation at IETF 53, "Miss Manners Meets the IETF",
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/slides/plenary-3/index.html )

The rules below add some specifics to the BCP 54 guidelines.  Those
violating these rules will be handled according to the procedures in the
last paragraph of section 3.2 of RFC 2418:  warnings, followed by
revocation of posting privileges.  As of this moment we are starting with
a clean sheet for all participants, but we will be vigorous in keeping
things in line after this, in hopes of creating a WG environment that will
be productive for all who wish to contribute.

1.  No negative personal comments in messages to the WG list.

As this has been the biggest problem on the list up to now, this will be
most strictly enforced.  Here's a suggestion: avoid the words "you" and
"your" in messages to the list.  Aim criticism at proposals, not people.

Also banned is discussion on the list of any participant's behavior, past,
present, or future.  Those who wish to make comments about other
participants can make them to the WG chairs (or to each other).  We are
also available by phone if need be, just ask.

2.  No more than 5 messages to the WG list per person per day.

Interested parties have said that often the sheer amount of traffic on the
list can be an obstacle.  While in rare cases lots of messages in a short
time can indicate lots of progress, usually they just represent a shouting
match.  Instead of firing off that one-line response, take a break, wait
until tomorrow; or conduct the heated discussion in private email, and
bring the results back to the list later.

3.  Issue-based list discussion.

The chairs are working to set up a standard issue-tracking method for the
WG, so that issues can be clearly identified with status visible to all.
Discussion on the list will be conducted about specific issues.  As new
potential issues come up, they will either be clearly identified and
tracked for further discussion and resolution, or they will be deferred or
dropped.  Extended discussion of topics other than those on the open
issues list will be strongly discouraged (with exceptions at the
discretion of the chairs).

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and hard work,

 - RL "Bob" and Pat