Subject: "and so this is Christmas, and what have you done?"

From: Tim Hare <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:47:02 -0500

Apologies to whomever owns the rights to that song, but back on 11/20 I 
proposed that we come up with a list of items yet to be resolved in CAP. To 
the best of my knowledge, there were a couple of replies about items on 
_my_ proposed list, including a correction that the recurrence-ID issue is 
not really a CAP issue but an iTIP issue; however I've seen no other 
replies. In my (some would say not-so-humble) opinion, we need to reach a 
consensus on what there is left to do, so we can get it done. Does anyone 
else have a list?  Can we come up with an agreed-upon list of outstanding 
issues and then work on them one-by-one?

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

---

From: Tim Hare <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:39:51 -0500

As I have no experience to speak of with bugzilla, I am probably not the 
best person for that task. I could learn it, I'm sure, but we can ill 
afford the time at this point.

Tim Hare

At 01:16 AM 12/9/03 -0800, "RL 'Bob' Morgan" wrote:

>First, let me apologize and say that there was really unfortunate timing
>in that my appointment as WG co-chair coincided with a family illness that
>has taken much of my time for the last month, so I have been unable to hit
>the ground running as chair as I would have hoped.
>
>Yes, I am entirely in favor of making an issues list and working through
>it systematically.  This may take time, but it will absolutely take less
>time than not having one.  I personally favor an approach where each new
>issue gets an identifier of some kind, status is kept, list discussion
>refers to issues by id, and issues are closed either by dropping/deferring
>them or by incorporating doc text to reflect them.  I also prefer an
>approach where the issue list keeper is not a doc author, but it can work
>either way.
>
>If you are volunteering to do the issues list (and I'm quite open to using
>eg bugzilla but won't have time to set it up myself) Tim, I'm happy to
>work with you on that.
>
>  - RL "Bob"

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:46:03 -0500

> afford the time at this point.

In the past we used to keep a running textual list that got posted on a 
~weekly basis to the WG.  It was formatted like (minor edits applied):

This is a list of action items for the CALSCH Working Group.
This list will be sent out once a week and updated as often
as practical (That means if I am not available it may take
an extra week or two before you see your changes).

Updates should be sent to mailto:[email-masked].

There are two parts to this list:

                 (W) Working group action items.
                 (C) CAP editor action items.

Each action item will be assigned a unique ID that will aid in
tracking the items.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                 Working Group Action 
Items 

Where Resolution is one of:

                 U - undecided.
                 Y - Chair determined consensus is in favor of the 
proposal.
                 N - Chair determined consensus is NOT in favor of the 
proposal.
                 D - Dropped. Chair has decided that it may never reach 
consensus.

 The following are a list of issues/proposals and their status in the WG:
 
 WG Action Item                                             Resolution
 --------------                                             ----------

 W-1 CAP Use HTTP as transport                                   N
 
 W-2 CAP If all booked and scheduled                             Y
     appointments are in same table
 
 W-3 CAP Use SASL as authentication method                       Y
 
Instead of taking the time to learn bugzilla, why not just adopt a textual 
posting format similar to this one for now?  That way not everyone has to 
learn bugzilla just to see what the issues are and it saves us cycles we 
may not have for working on the technical issues.

(Im not sure we need to have the CAP Editor action items in the general WG 
list but maybe we do since we no longer have multiple draft editors and 
the WG never really discussed those AIs anyway...)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:16:07 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> Instead of taking the time to learn bugzilla, why not just adopt a 
> textual posting format similar to this one for now? 

The periodic posting approach seems to have a tendency to bitrot, 
because it requires diligence from the person who updates it.

>  That way not everyone has to learn bugzilla just to see what the 
> issues are and it saves us cycles we may not have for working on the 
> technical issues. 

Personally, I don't think bugzilla is that hard to use, but then I've 
been using it since 1996.  :-) (It was an internal tool at Netscape, 
called bugsplat, before it was released with Mozilla.)

I'd be willing to take a crack at getting it set up, if the WG wants 
it.  Or...Damon, are you still here? Ximian already has a bugzilla 
system set up for Evolution, etc.; would you guys be willing to extend 
it for calsch? That might be more reliable than me hosting it on my home 
boxen.

-- 
/================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]         |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com       |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.      |
|================================================|
|World domination should never be left to chance.|
\================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:44:42 -0700

> because it requires diligence from the person who updates it. 

Not only that, I stopped it because people kept wanting it to be more 
and more of a history
and not an issues list. Some wanted the old history so they new not to 
re-open issues. Others
got tired of look at the old issues and only wanted open issues.

Bugzilla is great for issues and issue history.  And for those that do 
not want
to look at it, they do not have to see anyting.

Should there be a monthly post to this list saying ...go...here ... for 
issue list?
Else it may be a FAQ.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards