Subject: CAP-12-e: TRANSP has misleading ABNF comments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:50:12 -0400

In looking up something I noticed what appears to be incorrect/misleading 
text in Section 8.37 TRANSP Property.  In particular the comments in the 
ABNF:

   transp   = "TRANSP" other-params ":" transvalue CRLF

   transvalue
            = "OPAQUE" ;Blocks or opaque on busy time searches.
            / "TRANSPARENT"    ;Transparent on busy time searches.

            / "TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT" ; Transparent on busy time
            ; searches and no other OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT objects
            ; can overlap it.

            / "OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT"  ; Opaque on busy time
            ; searches and no other OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT objects
            ; can overlap it.
            ;
            ;Default value is OPAQUE

According to the comments for TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT and 
OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT, it would allowable for an object with 
TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT to overlap.  Clearly this is not what we intended 
to say.  Especially given intention of the -NOCONFLICT bit no matter the 
busytime opacity and the text of Section 4.2.1 Access Control and 
NOCONFLICT:

   The "TRANSP" property can take on values "TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT" and
   "OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT" that prohibit other components from overlapping
   it.

The fix (for Dougs edification) is simple,  change relevant the ABNF to:

            / "TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT" ; Transparent on busy time
            ; searches and no other OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT or
            ; TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT objects can overlap it.

            / "OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT"  ; Opaque on busy time
            ; searches and no other OPAQUE or OPAQUE-NOCONFLICT or
            ; TRANSPARENT-NOCONFLICT objects can overlap it.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

No comment on the issue, but let me point out that the current CAP
document under discussion is draft-ietf-calsch-cap-12.txt as found in the
I-D repository.  Comments on other versions (except for historical
reference to compare to the current one) are not in order.  In this case
as far as I can see the cap-12.txt text is the same.

 - RL "Bob"