Subject: Australian News

From: Elise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:24:20 +0100

SYDNEY, March 11, 2007 08:56pm (AEDT) - The Prime Minister of Australia,
   John Howard have survived a heart attack. Mr Howard, 67 years old, was at
   Kirribilli  House in Sydney, his prime residence, when he was suddenly
   stricken. Mr Howard was taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital where the
   best surgeons of Australia are struggling for his life.

   Click on the link below to get the latest information on the health of the
   Prime Minister:

   [1]The Australian - keeping the nation informed

   The Hon John Winston Howard became in as Prime Minister of Australia on 11
   March 1996, becoming the 25th person to occupy the office of Prime Minister
   since Federation. This followed the Coalition's decisive Federal election
   victory on 2 March 1996.

   The Prime Minister is representing the Federal seat of Bennelong in the
   North-Western suburbs of Sydney and has been returned to the Parliament at
   every Federal election since 1974.

   Mr Howard came to office as Prime Minister with extensive senior experience
   in both government and opposition. He was appointed Minister for Business
   and Consumer Affairs in 1975 at the age of 36 and subsequently worked as
   Minister for Special Trade Negotiations and as Treasurer of the Commonwealth
   for more than five years.

   In September 1985 Mr Howard, as Deputy Leader, was elected by his colleagues
   as Leader of the Parliamentary Liberal Party and, therefore, Leader of the
   Opposition.  He  held this post until May 1989. He was returned to the
   leadership by unanimous vote of his colleagues on 30 January 1995. In the
   interim  period  between holding the leadership he served as Coalition
   spokesman for a number of senior portfolios.

   Mr Howard was born in Sydney on 26 July 1939, attending school at Earlwood
   Primary and Canterbury Boys' High. He went on to the University of Sydney,
   graduated with a Bachelor of Laws in 1961 and was admitted as a Solicitor of
   the NSW Supreme Court in July 1962. Prior to his election to Parliament he
   was a partner in a Sydney firm of solicitors.

   The Prime Minister has been active with the Liberal Party since the age of
   18  when he joined the Young Liberal Movement and took part in student
   politics at university.

   In addition to his life-long commitment to public service and the Liberal
   Party, Mr Howard is a keen follower of sport - especially cricket. He enjoys
   playing tennis and golf and follows the St George Rugby League football
   team.

   Mr Howard married his wife Janette, a teacher by profession, on 4 April
   1971. They have three children, Melanie, Tim and Richard. As Prime Minister
   Mr  Howard  divides  his time between Sydney, where his family live at
   Kirribilli  House,  the Lodge in Canberra and, of course, his official
   commitments in other State capital cities, regional centres and the rest of
   Australia.

References

   1. http://tanknk.dothome.co.kr/