Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Issue 85: iTIP: No more RANGE=

From: lear at cisco.com (Eliot Lear)
Date: Thu Sep 13 07:18:35 2007

[Cyrus posted these right into the tracker.]

The RANGE= parameter has been removed in 2445bis, but iTIP has dependencies on it.

We need to update iTIP to remove all dependencies on RANGE= and explain an 
alternative method to achieve the same result.

---

From: bernard.desruisseaux at oracle.com (Bernard Desruisseaux)
Date: Thu Sep 13 11:22:58 2007

So far we have identified two scenarios where RANGE=THISANDFUTURE
was believed to be needed, and in each case we have proposed ways
to do without it.

Scenario 1:

   Organizer cancels all future recurrence instances of a
   recurring component defined with an unbounded RRULE.

   Solution:

   Organizer sends an updated version of the recurring
   component with an RRULE property that specifies the
   COUNT or UNTIL rule part to truncate the recurrence set.

Scenario 2:

   Organizer changes all future recurrence instances of a
   recurring calendar component defined with an unbounded
   RRULE.

   Solution:

   Organizer sends an updated version of the recurring
   component with:

     * RDATE properties for all past recurrence instances
       and exception components for them if needed. Note:
       the number of past recurrence instances is always
       finite.

     * No EXDATE properties for past recurrence instances.
       They would become useless anyway.

     * DTSTART set to the first recurrence instance to which
       the change applies.

Once again, the only issue here is that we need to clarify
that RDATE can specify a value less than the value specified
by DTSTART (Issue 63).

Both scenarios were previously discussed here:

http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2007-July/001746.html
http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2007-August/001780.html

Cheers,
Bernard

Eliot Lear wrote:
> We need to update iTIP to remove all dependencies on RANGE= and explain 
> an alternative method to achieve the same result.
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-calsify mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify
>

---

From: bernard.desruisseaux at oracle.com (Bernard Desruisseaux)
Date: Fri Sep 14 10:10:59 2007

Here's a third scenario.

Scenario 3:

   Attendee wants to change his participation status for
   all future recurrence instances of a recurring component
   defined with an unbounded RRULE.

   Solution:

   Attendee changes his participation status in the master
   component to specify the participation status that should
   apply to all the future recurrences instances. Attendee
   create exceptions components for all past recurrence instances
   (including the one specified by DTSTART in the master
   component) to specify his participation status in each one
   of them.  Again, there is always a finite number of past
   recurrence instances so we're okay.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard Desruisseaux wrote:
>> We need to update iTIP to remove all dependencies on RANGE= and 
>> explain an alternative method to achieve the same result.