Subject: [Capwap] Additions #6 - CAPWAP Protocol Security

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:50:57 +0800

Additions #6 - CAPWAP Protocol Security

Context: 

Centralized WTP Management
- Introduction (Section 7.1)
- Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Section 7.1.2)
- Relation to Problem Statement (Section 7.1.3)
- Customer Requirements (Section 7.1.4)

Issue: 

These sub-sections were left blank in v00. 

Proposed changes: 

Add text for the sub-sections. The following are proposed;

-> Section 7.1 - Introduction

Current text:

"This objective addresses the security of the protocol."

Proposed text: Add new sentences at the end of current introduction

"This objective addresses the security of the CAPWAP protocol. Broadly, it
addresses the security between WTPs and the WLAN controller. As such, it
deals with the threats arising from within the network infrastructure."

----XXXX----

-> Section 7.1.2 - Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraphs

"Security in itself is beneficial to the protocol. However, it becomes even
more crucial in the context of WLAN usage. Since wireless networks are being
applied to critical areas of business and enterprise operations, WLAN
security takes on added importance. This is why protocol security must be
made integral to WLAN control and management. 

Furthermore, communication networks are at increasing risks due to both
physical and logical threats. A secure protocol will ensure that such
threats do not adversely affect network operations and performance."

----XXXX----

-> Section 7.1.3 - Relation to Problem Statement (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"The CAPWAP Problem Statement identifies a number of security issues for
large scale WLANs. In particular, this objective relates to the threats of
rogue WTPs, integrity of protocol exchanges and minimization of system
breaches. Protocol security therefore closely follows from the Problem
Statement."

----XXXX----

-> Section 7.1.4 - Customer Requirements (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"Customers who deploy WLAN solutions need to be confident of their networks.
They need to be assured that their networks address integrity, privacy and
reliability.  The ultimate users can then in turn be assured that their
operations and applications are protected from major security threats. The
protocol security objective is therefore of immense importance to WLAN
customers."

----XXXX----

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap