Subject: [Capwap] Additions #4 - STA Admission Control

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:38:44 +0800

Additions #4 - STA Admission Control

Context: 

STA Admission Control
- Title
- Introduction (Section 6.4)
- Objective Details (Section 6.4.1)
- Customer Requirements (Section 6.4.4)

Issue: 

These sub-sections were left blank in v00. 

Proposed changes: 

Add text for the sub-sections. The following are proposed;

-> Title 

Current text: "STA Admission Control Objective"

Propoposed text: Change title to better reflect CAPWAP needs. Proposed title
is "Access Control Objective"

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.4 - Introduction

Current text:

"STA Admission control deals with client authentication, handoff between
WTPs, load balance, QoS etc.  Access control in the CAPWAP context must be
based on a variety of information.  This is because CAPWAP combines both
switching and wireless medium segments."

Proposed text: Replace text above with following introduction;

"Access control in centralized WLANs applies to both wireless clients and
also WTPs. For the former, IEEE 802.11 related association and
authentication are required while for the latter, specific means of
authenticating new WTPs are required. Underlying both these needs is
information exchange regarding the switching and wireless medium WLAN
segments, security aspects and QoS considerations. Broadly these constitute
the factual needs of access control."

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.4.1 - Objective Details

Current text:

"This objective focuses on access control based on collective information
from the switching and wireless medium segments.  As such, access to the
WLAN is based on both the radio resources, i.e. wireless medium segment and
network resources, i.e.  Switching segment."

Proposed text: Replace with following paragraphs

"This objective focuses on the informational needs of WLAN access control
and specifically the role of the CAPWAP protocol in transporting this
information between WTPs and their WLAN controller. 
 
The following are some specific information aspects that need to be
transported by the CAPWAP protocol;   

i. IEEE 802.11 association and authentication

The association of wireless clients is distinct for initial and roaming
cases. As a result, access control mechanisms requires specific contextual
information regarding each case.  Additionally, load balancing, QoS,
security and congestion in both wireless medium segments and switching
segments need to be considered.  

After IEEE 802.11 association, client authentication requires information
relevant to the radio link between wireless clients and the WTP.
Furthermore, the location of the IEEE 802.1X authenticator, whether within a
centralized WLAN controller or within an alternative entity, presents
differences in how authentication information is relayed. The CAPWAP
protocol needs to make aware the corresponding information to the
appropriate authentication entities.

ii. WTP Access Control  

In addition to controlling access for wireless clients, it is also necessary
to control admission of new WTPs. Given the threat of rogue WTPs, it is
important for CAPWAP to relay appropriate authentication information between
new WTPs and the WLAN controller."

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.3.4 - Customer Requirements (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"Enterprises and service provides need a centralized WLAN controller to
perform access control for both wireless clients and WTPs. Since this
fundamentally relates to the exchange of relevant information, mangers of
WLAN deployments require this objective be realized within a CAPWAP
protocol."

----XXXX----

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap