Subject: [Capwap] Additions #5 - Centralized WTP Management

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:46:48 +0800

Additions #5 - Centralized WTP Management

Context: 

Centralized WTP Management
- Introduction (Section 6.5)
- Objective Details (Section 6.5.1)
- Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Section 6.5.2)
- Relation to Problem Statement (Section 6.5.3)
- Customer Requirements (Section 6.5.4)

Issue: 

These sub-sections were left blank in v00. 

Proposed changes: 

Add text for the sub-sections. The following are proposed;

-> Section 6.5 - Introduction

Current text:

"Large scale WLAN deployments necessitate in centralized control.  The
CAPWAP protocol interfaces the central control to the numerous WTPs. One
aspect of centralized control includes firmware distribution. This objective
relates to configuration aspects of the WLAN ."

Proposed text: Replace text above with following introduction;

"Large scale WLAN deployments necessitate in centralized control to simplify
WTP management relating to configuration, firmware distribution, operational
parameters and monitoring. The CAPWAP protocol enables the exchange of
corresponding control management information as it interfaces the central
control to the numerous WTPs."

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.5.1 - Objective Details (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: 

"This objective deals with the management of WTPs with regard to the
following;

i. WTP firmware distribution

Large WLAN deployments require all constituent WTPs to be enabled with the
same firmware within a given operational period  The CAPWAP protocol must be
capable of determining the appropriate firmware version and ensuring
consistency in this version among all WTPs. For example, CAPWAP can include
mechanisms to exchange firmware version information between a centralized
WLAN controller and its numerous WTPs.

ii. WTP operational parameter provisioning

Similarly, WTP operational parameters may be provisioned using the CAPWAP
protocol.                                                 

iii. WLAN monitoring

WLAN monitoring allows network administrators to check system activity and
performance. The CAPWAP protocol can be used to convey such operational
information from various WTPs and deliver it to the corresponding WLAN
controller."

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.5.2 - Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"This objective relates to configuration aspects of WLANs.  The CAPWAP
protocol deals with configuration by enabling the distribution of relevant
information throughout the entire WLAN"

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.5.3 - Relation to Problem Statement (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"This objective relates to the problems discussing configuration aspects of
large-scale WLANs."

----XXXX----

-> Section 6.5.4 - Customer Requirements (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"Enterprises and service providers demand simplicity and accuracy in the
deployment of large scale WLANs. This is expected of all aspects of the
deployment including WTP configuration and WLAN monitoring. The
[I-D.ietf-capwap-problem-statement] details that the near-sameness of
configuration from one WTP to another leads to misconfigurations. This
objective will help minimize such errors and in doing so it helps simplify
WLAN deployment and operation."

----XXXX----

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap