Subject: [Capwap] Additions #8 - Trust Model Definition

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:03:15 +0800

Additions #8 - Trust Model Definition

Context: 

Centralized WTP Management
- Introduction (Section 8.3)
- Objective Details (Section 8.3.1)
- Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Section 8.3.2)
- Relation to Problem Statement (Section 8.3.3)
- Customer Requirements (Section 8.3.4)

Issue: 

These sub-sections were left blank in v00. 

Proposed changes: 

Add text for the sub-sections. The following are proposed;

-> Section 8.3 - Introduction

Proposed text: Replace current notes with following introduction

"The location of the 802.1x authenticator in the centralized WLAN framework
raises a number of issues. For example, if the authenticator in 802.11i is
relocated from WTP to WLAN controller any potential changes in the trust
relationship between WTP and the network infrastructure need to be
clarified.  If there are changes, the new trust model needs to be defined."

----XXXX----

-> Section 8.3.1 - Objective Details (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: 

"According to the IEEE 802.11i specifications, the IEEE 802.1X
authenticator's role is fixed at the WTP identified by the BSSID. In the
centralized WLAN framework however, the IEEE 802.1X authenticator may be
relocated to either a centralized WLAN controller or to an alternative
entity. So the trust relationship of IEEE 802.11i may be altered with
respect to a wireless client.  

In particular, the entity deciding the BSSID field of a MAC frame will have
implications on the authenticator. Such possible changes with regard to the
trust relationship need to be studied in relation to the CAPWAP protocol."

----XXXX----

-> Section 8.3.2 - Motivation and Protocol Benefits (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: 

"Given the fundamental nature of IEEE 802.1X authentication, this objective
looks to clarify the possible implications of the centralized WLAN framework
on authentication operations. Furthermore, the CAPWAP protocol will benefit
from a trusted relationship between authentication entities."

----XXXX----

-> Section 8.3.3 - Relation to Problem Statement (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"This objective is a security consideration relating to changes in IEEE
802.1X authenticator role from traditional deployments to one in the
centralized WLAN framework."

----XXXX----

-> Section 8.3.4 - Customer Requirements (Left blank in v00)

Proposed text: Add following new paragraph

"Since a number of deployments are continually evolving with respect to the
IEEE 802.11i security extensions, the trust relationship between
authentication entities need to be consistently maintained across both
legacy and centralized WLAN architectures. Customers who are in such
transition need to be assured that the CAPWAP protocol operates in the
context of a trusted relationship. It is for reason that this analysis be
made with regard to the location of the authenticator."

----XXXX----

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap