Subject: RE: SLAPP and IETF DS Interoperability Requirement (was: Re: [Capwap] Comments on objectives draft)

From: "Bob O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:01:00 -0700

Dan,

Can you point me to the section of the SLAPP draft where the portion of
the control protocol for an AC to cause a WTP to begin sending a Beacon
with a particular SSID is described?  I can't find that in the document,
anywhere.  Certainly, you will agree that it is necessary for a WTP to
transmit Beacons in order to "provide WLAN service"?

As I said in my original email and you so carefully ignored, "Some
subsequently downloaded protocol code may accomplish the provisioning.
But, that provisioning protocol is not described in the SLAPP draft."

It is easy to answer questions that you make up for yourself and easy to
turn those answers to seem favorable to your own position.  It is harder
to actually respond to the challenge that I proposed.  If you cannot, I
understand.  It means that the shortfall in the SLAPP protocol that I
pointed out is real and the challenge cannot be met in a way to make
SLAPP seem as if it meets the WG needs.

One more question, if you would indulge me.  Can you describe how two
entirely independent implementers can implement SLAPP (a necessity for
standards track) and be able to "provide WLAN service", when the only
means of communication between the implementers is the SLAPP draft,
i.e., the developer of the AC will have absolutely no knowledge of the
architecture, processor, memory configuration, or 802.11 chipset of the
WTP?

 -Bob
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Harkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:29 AM
To: Bob O'Hara
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SLAPP and IETF DS Interoperability Requirement (was: Re:
[Capwap] Comments on objectives draft) 

  Bob,

  The -01 version of SLAPP accomplishes "provisioning 802.11 access
points to provide WLAN Service" through the downloading of a bootable
image onto the AP. The AP boots that image and is provisioned by a
control protocol contained there. The technique described by SLAPP does,
indeed, end up provisioning the AP to provide WLAN service and examples
of this exist today. 

  Dan.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:20:02 PDT you wrote
> If we go back to our problem statement and objectives, I believe there
> is a thread that can be paraphrased as "provisioning 802.11 access
> points to provide WLAN service" is what the eventual CAPWAP protocol
> will do.  There are a number of other items, but this is the nut
beneath
> the shell.  

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:59:04 -0700

Bob,

  I did not make up a question that I then answered, I directly responded
to what you called "the nut beneath the shell". That is a somewhat obscure
metaphor but I took it to mean the essence of the discussion. 

  If you ask rhetorical questions don't expect to get an answer. And
please don't take the lack of response to one to mean anything, it
doesn't. 

  Dan.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:01:00 PDT you wrote

---

From: "Bob O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:40:21 -0700

Dan,

You may have responded to what the unread may consider an obscure reference.
However, you entirely ignored the simple, direct questions that I did ask of
the SLAPP authors, apparently misinterpreting them as rhetorical.
Attempting to redirect the attention of those reading this list away from
your pitiful avoidance of the technical issues, is fruitless.  Since you
appear unable to read beyond the first paragraph of an email, I will send a
new email where I will repeat the questions I asked of the SLAPP authors.

 -Bob
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Harkins [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:59 PM
To: Bob O'Hara
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SLAPP and IETF DS Interoperability Requirement (was: Re:

  Bob,

  Dan.