Subject: [Capwap] Question on SLAPP discover request payload

From: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:03:32 +0800

Hi,
 
I have a question on the SLAPP discover request payload. In the draft, the SLAPP discover request packet contains HW version information. What is the rationale for this HW version to be present and how can this HW version information actually benefit the CAPWAP protocol? If the WTP and AC are from different vendors, do they need to recognise each other's HW version? From my perspective, i thought that this seem to suggest a form of dependency between the protocol performance and hardware.
 
Appreciate any enlightenments.
 
Thanks and regards
Richard Gwee

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922 . Website: www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 .

Republic Polytechnic, the first institute of higher learning to fully adopt Problem-Based Learning in Singapore, has scored another first by achieving the People Developer Standards and QEHS standards (ISO 9001,
14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications) within the first year of our operation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank you.

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:23:43 -0700

Richard,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. 

One of the requirements in the CAPWAP objectives is a firmware download
trigger. In order to determine whether an update is required and to
select the correct firmware image for a particular WTP, it is good to
know its hardware version in addition to a vendor ID and its current
software version. 

Thanks
partha

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Richard Gwee
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] Question on SLAPP discover request payload

Hi,
 
I have a question on the SLAPP discover request payload. In the draft,
the SLAPP discover request packet contains HW version information. What
is the rationale for this HW version to be present and how can this HW
version information actually benefit the CAPWAP protocol? If the WTP and
AC are from different vendors, do they need to recognise each other's HW
version? From my perspective, i thought that this seem to suggest a form
of dependency between the protocol performance and hardware.

Thanks and regards
Richard Gwee

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922
. Website: www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 .

Republic Polytechnic, the first institute of higher learning to fully
adopt Problem-Based Learning in Singapore, has scored another first by
achieving the People Developer Standards and QEHS standards (ISO 9001,
14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications) within the first year of our
operation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains
information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of
this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return
email and delete the original message. Thank you.