Subject: [Capwap] Question on the Blacklist on LWAPP

From: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:19:54 +0800

Hi,
 
I will like to ask a question regarding the Add Blacklist Entry. From my understanding on the LWAPP IETF draft, every WTP should kept a copy of the blacklist of MAC addresses that it should not provide service to. I will like to know the criteria on which a MAC address is being blacklisted.
 
Is the blacklist mechanism used mainly to keep out rogue MAC addresses or mainly to blacklist MAC addresses that have failed to respond during discovery phase? In the event that if an AC is down due to power shutdown etc, how will this blacklist be updated?
 
Appreciate some enlightenment. 
 
Thanks and regards
Richard Gwee

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922 . Website: www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 .

Republic Polytechnic, the first institute of higher learning to fully adopt Problem-Based Learning in Singapore, has scored another first by achieving the People Developer Standards and QEHS standards (ISO 9001,
14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications) within the first year of our operation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank you.

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: Clint Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:16:31 -0700

My opinion is that the criteria for placing devices on the blacklist
is complety beyond the scope of this group.

The criteria should be something that is specified by the
company/person who is installing CAPWAP devices, and should not be
standardized.

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Wireless Security Technologist
Wireless Standards Manager
_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:33:30 -0700

Agree, it is a policy issue.

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Capwap] Question on the Blacklist on LWAPP

On 7/12/05, Richard Gwee <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will like to ask a question regarding the Add Blacklist Entry. From my
understanding on the LWAPP IETF draft, every WTP should kept a copy of the
blacklist of MAC addresses that it should not provide service to. I will
like to know the criteria on which a MAC address is being blacklisted.
>
> Is the blacklist mechanism used mainly to keep out rogue MAC addresses or
mainly to blacklist MAC addresses that have failed to respond during
discovery phase? In the event that if an AC is down due to power shutdown
etc, how will this blacklist be updated?
> Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922 .
Website: www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 .
>
> Republic Polytechnic, the first institute of higher learning to fully
adopt Problem-Based Learning in Singapore, has scored another first by
achieving the People Developer Standards and QEHS standards (ISO 9001,
> CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that
is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
communication. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank
you.