Subject: [Capwap] WiCoP Logical Groups

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:10:16 +0800

All,

Puneet Agarwal brought up a point about WiCoP and its handling of
MAC-based VLANs in yesterday's meeting. 

WiCoP can manage logical groups in different forms. The current draft
describes BSSIDs and related VLANs only as a specific case. The protocol
was designed to address all types of logical grouping across switching
and wireless medium segments in general. Section 6.4.1 of the draft
covers this. 

The Conf-WTP-Data message element together with the BSSID-TunnelID
information item is also used to map MAC-based VLANs over the switching
segment with corresponding logical groups over the wireless segment.
This is included in the description for BSSID-TunnelID on pg 17 in the
section on Conf-WTP-Data. Also, the Terminal-Data message element allows
WiCoP to assign terminals to particular logical groups (VLANs) over the
switching segment. 

I think our semantic choice of 'BSSID-TunnelID' for this logical group
linking feature was restrictive. Its efficacy goes beyond just BSSIDs
and corresponding VLANs. It should be named 'GroupMap-ID'. 

I hope this helps address Puneet's question. 

Cheers,

Saravanan

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap