Subject: RE: [Capwap] Comments on today's meeting

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:11:58 -0700

Dan,

Putting aside all of the various accusations, both personal and to my
company, let me at least address the real issues here.

In order to support 802.11k, the AC sends the relevant ACTION frame
through the WTP to the STA. The STA will respond, which will make it
back to the AC. There is no need to involve the WTP in this manner. If
data needs to be added to a beacon, then you are correct that a change
is required. We could simply address this by using a generic "Beacon
Data" which is sent from the AC to the WTP.

I believe that all (or nearly all) protocols support a download
mechanism. The primary differences are how we view this download
mechanism as providing value. While I view this as a method for AP
firmware to be upgraded by the manufacturer, you see this as a method to
allow for proprietary protocols to be pushed on the WTP. The issues
raised here are real and cannot be ignored. If a customer (or vendor)
wants to hijack APs with their own firmware and deal with the legal
consequences, then so be it, but I don't believe that the IETF needs to
get involved or condone this behavior.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 00:59:51 -0700

Pat,

  I'm not making accusations on you or your company, merely pointing out
that "Cisco and Airespace" are not two different things. And also that
I was pretty badly misquoted in your post as well.

  Regarding what you feel the real issue here is, image download is very
useful. If it is possible to use it in a way that could get someone in
legal trouble in some jurisdiction on this planet I don't think is 
something we should care about. (Note that I do not agree that it is
illegal only admitting that certain people-- like you-- feel that way).
LWAPP allows for the country code to be changed. Therefore I could use
LWAPP to do something illegal. Does that mean that setting of the country
code in LWAPP should be removed? No, I don't think so. Same for image
download. It's very useful and we should provide that functionality.
We are providing tools, like a screwdriver. If someone uses a valid tool
for an illegal purpose, like stabbing someone in the neck, that isn't the
fault of the tool designer.

  Dan.

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:11:58 PDT you wrote