Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP evaluation draft complete

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:34:22 -0700

After much hard work, the evaluation team has completed the CAPWAP
evaluation draft.  Its is available for review at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-capwap-eval-00.txt and
also in the internet drafts directory.

The evaluation team concluded that LWAPP is the most complete proposal
and should be used as the basis for CAPWAP protocol moving forward.  In
addition, a number of recommendations were made which the evaluation
team believed should be addressed by the working group.

Over the next 2 weeks the evaluation team will address clarification
questions on the WG list.   The recommendation provided by the
evaluation team will not change, as this was intended to be an
independent activity supported by the WG.   This is essentially a WGLC
on the evaluation draft.  Please submit any clarification question to
the list by Friday, September 30th.

The next step will be to come to an agreement on the WG list to decide
to accept the recommended protocol.  Once we have established consensus,
we can further discuss the additional recommendations presented in the
draft.

We would like to thank the evaluation team on its thorough work and a
job well done.

Regards,
Dorothy and Mani

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:56:09 -0700

Dorothy and Mani,

After reading the evaluation document, I support the recommendation of the 
evaluation team. I hope the WG will be able to resolve the lingering 
nontechnical issues fairly quickly and move forward with completing the 
CAPWAP protocol based on the evaluation document's recommendations.

I would also suggest that someone with good writing skills do an editing 
pass through the evaluation document before it is submitted to the IESG, 
since I noticed numerous typos and minor grammatical errors.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:34 PM
Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP evaluation draft complete

Regards,
Dorothy and Mani

---

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:27:12 -0700

James,

  I'm curious why you say that the recommendations of the evaluation
team are "nontechnical". Many of them seem quite technical to me.

	- change the security and authentication protocol to be DTLS
	- add a tunneling mode for local MAC
	- get rid of the extraneous L2 encapsulation option
	- use a different tunneling protocol, like GRE.

It should be noted that all of those are already part of SLAPP.

  Now I understand that the 4 member evaluation team made a decision
that cannot be changed by the WG and that the WG just has to accept
it but it seems to me that it would be easier to start with SLAPP as
a foundation and to change a few messages here and there to address
whatever shortcomings were perceived instead of taking LWAPP and
replacing its foundation-- its security components, how it does
tunneling, and its tunneling options-- with SLAPP's.

  Dan.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:56:09 PDT you wrote

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:23:46 -0700

Dan,

Perhaps my email wasn't clear. The recommendations are technical, and I 
support them.

The nontechnical issues I was referring to are the ones that have been 
discussed on the email list, which you've raised.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dan Harkins" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Capwap] CAPWAP evaluation draft complete