Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 46 - WTP Model and Serial number

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:20:53 -0700

All,

Issue 46 - WTP Model and Serial number currently has the following
discussion in the issues list:

The length of wtpModel in Section 7.2.4 is specified as 8 bytes. I think this
space could be small for some model types.

Same way, 24 bytes WTP Serial Number could be small depending upon how serial

number is assigned.

Section 7.2.4, WTP Board Data

The WTP model and serial number value lengths will vary with product and
vendor, and are likely
to have a wide range of lengths. The current spec fixes the lengths at
model number - 8 bytes, and the serial number at 24 bytes. The comment is
that these fixed lengths
are likely to be too small for some vendors.

We could increase the fixed values, with the risk that the values we select
will not serve some vendor, or make
them excessively long to meet all needs.
Another approach is to give the model and serial number a type/length value
structure, including a vendor identifier, and
allow a variety of lengths.

Additional comments on other WTP Board data fields:
Need more explicit definition for  Card ID and Card Revision values. For
some vendors, these are not applicable.
If not generally applicable, leave as vendor specific. Indicated these as
optional to include, renaming to "board" from "card"
to be consistent with the message element name. Can open a new issue for
this if needed.
.
WTP Board Data also includes the Ethernet MAC address. Why is the layer 2
MAC address needed? Recommend
removing the Ethernet MAC address field from the WTP Board Data message
element (similar to AC MAC address
in Issue 39)

Recommendation: Change WTP Board Data definition from:

0                           1                          2
     3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                       Card ID         |           Card
Revision                      |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                                     WTP Model
             |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                                     WTP Model
              |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+|
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             WTP Serial
Number                                       |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ |
|                       Ethernet MAC Address
                                     |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                        Ethernet MAC Address|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ++++

Type: 50 for WTP Board Data
 Length: 26
Card ID: A 2 byte hardware identifier.
Card Revision: A 2 byte Revision of the card.
WTP Model: 8 byte WTP Model Number.
WTP Serial Number: 24 byte WTP Serial Number.
Ethernet MAC Address: MAC Address of the WTP's Ethernet interface.

to

0                           1                          2
     3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
|                                Vendor Identifier
       |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                  Type=0              |
Length                        |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
|                                  Value.....

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
|                  Type=1              |
Length                         |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                                  Value....

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+
| Optional additional vendor specific WTP board data TLVs

Type: 50 for WTP Board Data
Length: >= 3
Vendor Identifier: A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI Network
Management Private Enterprise Codes"
Type: The following values are supported
0 - WTP Model Number; The WTP Model Number MUST be included in the WTP Board
Data message element.
1 - WTP Serial Number; The WTP Serial Number MUST be included in the WTP
Board Data message element.
2 - Board ID; A  hardware identifier, which MAY be included in the WTP Board
Data message element.
3 - Board Revision, A revision number of the board, which MAY be included in
the WTP Board Data message element.

Length: The length of the value field

Value: The value of the indicated field.

The Vendor Identifier, WTP Model Number and WTP Serial Number are optionally
followed by additional
vendor specific values.

Comments please.

Thanks,

Dorothy
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:06:17 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

I believe that both the "WTP descriptor" (section 5.1.2) and
the "WTP Board data" (section 7.2.4) message elements need work.

Previous work has been done that covers both of these elements
is in RFC 4133, which contains the Entity MIB module. In it,
there are the following definitions which come close the
the info in the "WTP descriptor" and "WTP board date"
message elements:
  entPhysicalIndex - index of physical component (an integer)
  entPhysicalVendorType - hardware type, value is an OID
  entPhysicalHardwareRev - hardware revision, value encoded 
                           in UTF-8 (max length of 255 octets)
  entPhysicalFirmwareRev - firmware revision, (value encoded
                           same as hardware rev)
  entPhysicalSoftwareRev - software revision, (value encoded
                           same as hardware rev)
  entPhysicalSerialNum - serial number,- value encoded in 
                           UTF-8 (max length of 32 octets)
  entPhysicalMfgName - manufacturer name, (value encoded
                           same as hardware rev)
  entPhysicalModelName - model name, (value encoded
                           same as hardware rev)

The entity MIB module allows all of the physical commponents of
a device to be described. I can't determine when reading section
7.2 (and section 7.2.4) whether or not multiple "WTP board data"
message elements are returned. It's certainly the case that a
majority of current WTPs are "nonmodular", but there may be
ones that have "field replacable units" for radios or other
components. Thus, I suggest that multiple "board data" message
elements be returnable.

In addition the Entity MIB has the following definitions
which I suggest be supported by CAPWAP message "board
data" message element:
  entPhysicalAssetID - asset ID, (value encoded
                           same as serial number)
  entPhysicalMfgDate - manufacture date, a date/time value
                           encoded in format defined by
                           TC DateAndTime found in RFC 2579
  entPhysicalIsFRU - indication if component is a field
                           replacable unit
  entPhysicalUris - a list of URIs (the intent is to support 
                           CLEI codes, see RFC 4152)

The Entity MIB also has the following definitions, which
I suggest are not too useful:
  entPhysicalDescr - textual description of the component
                           (its redundant with manufacturer
                            and model name)
  entPhysicalContainedIn - info on physical containment
                           (WTPs don't have complex physical
                            relationships of components)
  entPhysicalParentRelPos - info on physical arrangement
                           (WTPs don't have complex physical
                            relationships of components)
  entPhysicalClass - class of physical component (WTPs
                            will not have different classes)
  entPhysicalName - name used in CLI commands (not needed by
                            CAPWAP)
  entPhysicalAlias - an operator specified alternative name
                            (not needed by CAPWAP)

Thus, I suggest that the "WTP info" and the "WTP Board data"
message elements be change to the following to align with
the data model defined in the Entity MIB module:

WTP Info would have the following fields:
 1) manufacturer name (encoded in UTF-8, max length 255 octets)
 2) model name (same encoding as mgt name)
 3) serial number (encoded in UTF-8, max length of 32 octets)
 4) optional hardware rev (same encoding as mgt name)  
 5) optional manufacturing date (encoded in text, not binary
                                 as defined in DateTime TC)
 6) optional firmware rev (note: this is NOT the image
    rev) (same encoding as mgt name)
 7) optional asset ID (encoded the same as serial number)
 8) boot software version (same encoding as mgt name)
 9) list of images, with fields:
    a) is running - flag
    b) source - memory, store1, store2, etc
    c) version (same encoding as mgt name)
 10) Number of radios

"Board data" would be renamed "component data" and
would only be returned if the WTP contained separatably
identifiable components. It would have only fields
1 through 6 of WTP info, plus a "isFRU" field.
 
More on this later in the "boot model" description.
 
> Recommendation: Change WTP Board Data definition from:
Regards,
/david t. perkins