Subject: [Capwap] Proposed resolution of Issue 50 - Increase Maximum Number of BSSs

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:03:40 -0700

All,

Issue 50 - Increase maximum number of BSSs currently has the following
discussion in the issues list:

> Page 34, Section 5.1.3. LWAPP seems to assume that WLAN
> radios will support
> 16 BSS's per Radio. It would be better not assume that every
> WTP supports 16 radios and add a field to indicate the number
> of virtual networks per radio.
At one point, the sheer number of beacons will saturate the air waves,
so we need to pick a maximum. What number do we want?

Section 5.1.3 is the WTP Radio Information message element. WTP Radio
Information
is included in the discovery request message.

The message element currently includes a
- Radio ID, indicating an interface index
- Radio type - a bitfield indicating the type of radio present. 5 values,
out of 16 are
currently used, and indicate the general radio type and then subtype
together in one
field - 802.11 a,b,g,n, all of previous values. In the future say if
802.16comes along, will
have more radio types. Looks like the current length is extensible to only
one more "type"
of radio. Suggest increasing the length of this field, or go to a type (
802.11, 802.16, etc), and
subtype (a/b/g/etc) structure.

The comment asks for the number of BSSIDs supported at the WTP to be added
to information provided
by the WTP to the AC. The comment also asks the question of a maximum.
Currently the max is 16. Changing
this maximum is a separate question from having the WTP indicate the value.

- Could add the Number of BSSIDs to the WTP radio information element. The
radio information element is
a CAPWAP level message element though. Are BSSIDs likely to apply to
multiple radio types - .11/.16 etc?
The Num of BSSIDs is included in the IEEE 802..11 WTP WLAN Radio
Configuration message element, see 11.9.1.

While the text in 11.9.1 refers only to the message element being used by
the AC to configure a radio on the WTP, the
list in 11.9 shows this message element being included in the Configuration
Request message, indicating that it can be
sent from the WTP to the AC, presumably for the WTP to report its current
capabilities.

Proposed Resolution:

Modify the text in 11.9.1 to indicate that the WTP Radio Configuration
element is also used by the WTP to
report its capabilities to the AC in the Configuration Request (proposed to
be renamed to Configuration Status message - issue 58)

Also, propose to increase the length of the radio type field in 5.1.3 from 2
to 4 bytes, and change value of
"all" from "0cFFFF" to "ox0F" - since "all" means the previous ones
indicated, not all potential future values.
Will add this in a new issue.

Comments?

Thanks,

Dorothy
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap