Subject: [Capwap] New Issue - 11.9.1 WTP WLAN Radio Configuration Changes

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:26:58 -0700

All,

Section 11.9.1 describes a WTP WLAN Radio configuration message element,
used by the AC to configure a
radio on the WTP.

Suggested changes:

1. Change the name of the message element to "WTP WLAN Configuration"
message element, since it is the
WLAN on the radio that is being configured.

2. Delete country code. The FCC does not allow the country code to be
changed from a controller.

3. PCF is often not supported, and is not used widely - used in the downlink
more than in the uplink, not
reliably supported on clients.  Delete CFP Maximum duration, CFP Period and
Occupancy Limit.

Comments?

Thanks,

Dorothy
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: Puneet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:02:23 -0700

Is there a specific FCC document that references this? Also, if the AC
handles all channel and power level assignments (ie. makes sure those are in
compliance in the current regulatory domain), can the country-code be sent
to the WTP for advertisement in beacons/probes?

thanks,
Puneet

On 4/11/06, Dorothy Stanley < [email-masked]> wrote:
> 3. PCF is often not supported, and is not used widely - used in the
> downlink more than in the uplink, not
> reliably supported on clients.  Delete CFP Maximum duration, CFP Period
> and Occupancy Limit.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dorothy
>

---

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:38:16 -0700

Hi Puneet,

It is more accurate to say that while the FCC does allow the country code to
be changed from the access
controller,  if the country code is changed by the AC, then the device falls
into the category of
software defined radios, and must meet SDR rules. See section 51 in the
following document:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-57A1.pdf

Support of CAPWAP should not result in the WTPs being classified as SDRs.
My understanding is that If the WTP tells the AC what country it is in, and
the
AC configures appropriate channels and power levels, that is ok. But if the
AC tells the
WTP what country it is in, and the WTP configures/uses this info, then the
WTP radio is an SDR. The configuration of the
country on the WTP should be outside the scope of CAPWAP.

Thanks,

Dorothy