Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Text for Issue 59

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:44:03 -0700

All,

The submitter of the issue was correct. as it turns out, the protocol
was broken since there was no way to enable a mode after the discovery
process had occurred. This change allows a WTP to be enable to use a
specific mode of operation on a per WLAN basis.

Comments welcomed.

 11.8.1.1.  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN

   The Add WLAN message element is used by the AC to define a wireless
   LAN on the WTP.  The value contains the following format:

        0                   1                   2                   3
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |    Radio ID   |         WLAN Capability       |    WLAN ID    |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                      Encryption Policy                        |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |   Key Index   |   Shared Key  | WPA Data Len  |WPA IE Data ...|
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       | RSN Data Len  |RSN IE Data ...| WME Data Len  |WME IE Data ...|
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |  11e Data Len |11e IE Data ...|      QoS      |   Auth Type   |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |   MAC Mode    |  Tunnel Mode  | Suppress SSID |    SSID ...
<=== NEW FIELDS
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[...]

   MAC Mode:  This field specifies whether the WTP should support the
      WLAN in Local or Split MAC modes.  Note that the AC MUST NOT
      request a mode of operation that was not advertised by the WTP
      during the discovery process (see section Section 5.1.4).  The
      following values are supported:

      0 - Local-MAC:  Service for the WLAN is to be provided in Local
         MAC mode.

      1 - Split-MAC:  Service for the WLAN is to be provided in Split
         MAC mode.

   Tunnel Mode:  This field specifies the tunneling type to be used for
      all stations associated with the WLAN.  Note that the AC MUST NOT
      request a mode of operation that was not advertised by the WTP
      during the discovery process (see section Section 5.1.5).  The
      following values are supported:

      0 - Local Bridging:  All user traffic is to be locally bridged.

      1 - 802.3 Tunnel:  All user traffic is to be tunneled to the AC in
         802.3 format (see section Section 4.2).

      2 - 802.11 Bridging:  All user traffic is to be tunneled to the AC
         in 802.11 format.

[...]

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap