Subject: [Capwap] Issue 202: Multiple stations in a single Mobile Config Request

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:57:59 -0700

59) it doesn't say if one message can be used to update more than one
STA. It should be able.
60) IEEE 802.11 Mobile. shouldn't the STA MAC address be included so
this message element can be matched with a (4.4.8)Add Mobile message
element?

<PRC> Dave was correct that all of the other message elements had a
MAC address field, which would allow for having multiple mobile state
being added within a single Mobile Config Request message.

By adding a MAC address to the IEEE 802.11 Mobile message element,
it is now possible for the AC to send a single message for multiple
stations (or whatever we end up wanting to call them). So I have made
the
following simple change:

<proposed text>
x.x IEEE 802.11 Station
[...]

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |    Radio ID   |        Association ID         |     Flags     |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                           MAC Address                         | <==
NEW
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |          MAC Address          |          Capabilities         |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |   WLAN ID     |Supported Rates|
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
</proposed text>

Note that practically, I'm not sure this feature would be used very
often,
as it would also require the AC to cache requests to combine them at a
later date. However, it does create consistency in ensuring that all of
the message elements have the mac address field.

comments?

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap