Subject: [Capwap] Issue 158: Many of the configuration items, and status items are not listed in

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:42:31 -0700

All,

The issue states:
   9) Many of the configuration items, and status items are not listed
in
   one section with definitions. (Well make it two sections - one for
   CAPWAP and the other which is "binding" specific.) For example, not
all
   of the time period lengths are identified and specified in section
4.5.

The issue is really discussing the fact that many message elements
include
variables for which the protocol does not provide default values. There
were
also mentions in the spec of information that the WTP needs to save,
which was
also not clear. I've created new sections to discuss this topic (well,
the first
section already existed, but includes new items). I've made several
additional changes 
to the spec, but mostly in adding references to these new sections.

Comments welcomed!

4.6.  CAPWAP Protocol Variables <== EXISTING SECTION. New Items

   A WTP or AC that implements CAPWAP discovery MUST allow for the
   following variables to be configured by system management; default
   values are specified so as to make it unnecessary to configure any of
   these variables in many cases.  Note that the default values MAY be
   explicitely overriden by the AC by sending them via a message
   element.  The WTP is expected to save the overriden values sent by
   the WTP.

4.6.1.  AdminState

   The default Administrative State value is enabled (1).

[...]

4.6.3.  IdleTimeout

   The default Idle Timeout is 300 seconds (5 minutes).

[...]

4.6.6.  ReportInterval

   The default Report Interval is 120 seconds (2 minutes).

[...]

4.6.8.  StatisticsTimer

   The default Statistics Interval is 120 seconds (2 minutes).

4.6.9.  WTPFallBack

   The default WTP Fallback value is enabled (1).

4.7.  WTP Saved Variables   <== NEW SECTIONS

   Certain values SHOULD be saved on the WTP.  In addition to the values
   defined in section , the following values SHOULD be saved on the
   WTP's permanent storage.  Note that CAPWAP wireless bindings may
   define additional values to store on the WTP.

4.7.1.  AdminRebootCount

   The number of times the WTP has rebooted administratively, as
   expressed in section Section 4.4.43.

4.7.2.  FrameEncapType

   For WTPs that support multiple Frame Encapsulation Types, it is
   necessary to save the value configured by the AC.  The Frame
   Encapsulation Type is expressed in section Section 4.4.38.

4.7.3.  LastRebootReason

   The reason why the WTP last rebooted, as expressed in section
   Section 4.4.43.

4.7.4.  MacType

   For WTPs that support multiple MAC Types, it is necessary to save the
   value configured by the AC.  The MAC Type is expressed in section
   Section 4.4.40.

4.7.5.  PreferredACs

   The preferred ACs, with the index, as expressed in section
   Section 4.4.5.

4.7.6.  RebootCount

   The number of times the WTP has rebooted, as expressed in section
   Section 4.4.43.

4.7.7.  Static ACL Table

   The static ACL table saved on the WTP , as configured by the message
   element described in section Section 4.4.9.

4.7.8.  Static IP Address

   The static IP Address assigned to the WTP , as configured by the
   message element described in section Section 4.4.44.

4.7.9.  WTPLinkFailureCount

   The number of times the link to the AC has failed, as expressed in
   section Section 4.4.43.

4.7.10.  WTPLocation

   The WTP Location, as expressed in section Section 4.4.27.

4.7.11.  WTPName

   The WTP Name, as expressed in section Section 4.4.42.

[...]

11.11.  WTP IEEE 802.11 Binding Saved Variables <== NEW SECTION

   This section contains the IEEE 802.11 binding specific variables that
   SHOULD be saved on the WTP.

11.11.1.  IEEE80211AntennaInfo

   The WTP's per radio antenna configuration details as expressed in
   section Section 11.10.2.

11.11.2.  IEEE80211DSControl

   The WTP's per radio Direct Sequence Control configuration details as
   expressed in section Section 11.10.5.

11.11.3.  IEEE80211MACOperation

   The WTP's per radio MAC Operation configuration details as expressed
   in section Section 11.10.7.

11.11.4.  IEEE80211OFDMControl

   The WTP's per radio MAC Operation configuration details as expressed
   in section Section 11.10.10.

11.11.5.  IEEE80211Rateset

   The WTP's per radio Basic Rate Set configuration details expressed in
   section Section 11.10.11.

11.11.6.  IEEE80211TxPower

   The WTP's per radio Transmit Power configuration details expressed in
   section Section 11.10.17.

11.11.7.  IEEE80211QoS

   The WTP's per radio Quality of Service configuration details
   expressed in section Section 11.10.21.

11.11.8.  IEEE80211RadioConfig

   The WTP's per radio Radio Configuration details expressed in section
   Section 11.10.23.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap