Subject: [Capwap] Issue 217 Reopened: What is frame format when WTP encrypts/decrypts

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 06:44:38 -0800

The proposed text below was not added to the
draft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-02 draft. Reopening the
issue, and it will be addressed in the next version.

The WTP MUST include the IEEE 802.11 MAC header contents in all
frames transmitted to the AC.  When 802.11 
encryption/decryption is
performed at the WTP, the WTP MUST decrypt the uplink frames,
MUST set the Protected Frame field to 0, and MUST make
the frame format
consistent with that of an unprotected 802.11 frame prior to
transmitting the frames to the AC.  The fields added to an 802.11
protected frame, i.e., IV/EIV, MIC,and ICV ,  MUST be stripped
off prior to transmission from the WTP to AC.
For downlink frames, the Protected Frame field MUST be
set to 0 by the
AC as the frame being sent is unencrypted.  The WTP MUST apply
the required protection policy for the WLAN, and set the
Protected Frame
field on transmission over the air.  The Protected Frame field
always needs
to accurately indicate the status of the 802.11 frame that is
carrying it.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap