Subject: [Capwap] Proposed text for Issue 252:

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:10:16 -0700

All,

In the process of fixing issue 251, I came across the fact that the echo
request made
references to a "heartbeat timer", when in fact the timer should have
been EchoInterval.
Below is the modified text with the updated reference to the timer.

2.3.1.  CAPWAP Protocol State Transitions
[...]
   Configure to Data Check (t):  This state transition occurs when the
      WTP and AC confirm the configuration.

      WTP:  The WTP enters this state when it receives a successful
         Configuration Status Response message from the AC.  The WTP
         initializes the EchoInterval timer (see Section 4.6), and
         transmits the Change State Event Request message (see
         Section 8.6).

7.1.  Echo Request

   The Echo Request message is a keep-alive mechanism for CAPWAP control
   messages.

   Echo Request messages are sent periodically by a WTP in the Run state
   (see Section 2.3) to determine the state of the control connection
   between the WTP and the AC.  The Echo Request message is sent by the
   WTP when the EchoInterval timer expires.  The WTP MUST start its
   NeighborDeadInterval timer when the EchoInterval timer expires.

   The Echo Request message is sent by the WTP when in the Run State.
   The AC does not transmit this message.

   The Echo Request message carries no message elements.

   When an AC receives an Echo Request message it responds with an Echo
   Response message.

7.2.  Echo Response

   The Echo Response message acknowledges the Echo Request message.

   An Echo Response message is sent by an AC after receiving an
   EchoRequest message.  After transmitting the Echo Response message,
   the AC SHOULD reset its EchoInterval timer.  If another Echo Request
   message or other control message is not received by the AC when the
   timer expires, the AC SHOULD consider the WTP to be no longer
   reachable.

   The Echo Response message is sent by the AC when in the Run State.
   The WTP does not transmit this message.

   The Echo Response message carries no message elements.

   When a WTP receives an Echo Response message it stops the
   NeighborDeadInterval timer, and initializes the EchoInterval to the
   configured value.

   If the NeighborDeadInterval timer expires prior to receiving an Echo
   Response message, or other control message, the WTP enters the Idle
   state.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap