Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP MIB should consider more about reuse

From: "Yang Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:08:26 +0800

Hi, current CAPWAP MIB design is reusing IF-MIB, 802.11 SDO's MIB.
I think it should consider more about Entity MIB (rfc 27370) reuse.

According to CAPWAP protocol, capwapWTPTable has MIB objects
such as capwapWTPManufacturerId, capwapWTPModelId and so on.
These objects are well defined by entity MIB. Re-defining them is not a
 valid design. So it requires a way to reuse entity MIB.
The basic idea could be:
At AC side, entPhysicalTable could keep info for both AC and WTP.
Each WTP could be identified by PhysicalIndex, and set
entPhysicalClass as other(1). In entity MIB, manufacture, software
version, hardware version are available for each WTP.
Current capwapWTPTable table could remove objects such
as capwapWTPManufacturerId, while keep a PhysicalIndex
for a specific WTP.
By this way, entity MIB could be reused.

Regards

Richard
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:11:10 +0100

The latest version of the Entity MIB is RFC 4133. Please use it as
reference. 
 
Dan

________________________________

	From: Yang Richard [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 5:08 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP MIB should consider more about reuse

	Hi, current CAPWAP MIB design is reusing IF-MIB, 802.11 SDO's
MIB.
	I think it should consider more about Entity MIB (rfc 27370)
reuse.

	According to CAPWAP protocol, capwapWTPTable has MIB objects
	such as capwapWTPManufacturerId, capwapWTPModelId and so on.
	These objects are well defined by entity MIB. Re-defining them
is not a
	 valid design. So it requires a way to reuse entity MIB. 
	The basic idea could be:
	At AC side, entPhysicalTable could keep info for both AC and
WTP.
	Each WTP could be identified by PhysicalIndex, and set
	entPhysicalClass as other(1). In entity MIB, manufacture,
software 
	version, hardware version are available for each WTP.
	Current capwapWTPTable table could remove objects such
	as capwapWTPManufacturerId, while keep a PhysicalIndex
	for a specific WTP. 
	By this way, entity MIB could be reused. 

	Regards

	Richard