Subject: Re: [Capwap] Time to get rid of UDP-lite in CAPWAP?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:49:35 +0100

Lars Eggert skrev:
> Hi,
> 
> sorry for the delay in responding - vacation time.
> 
> On 2007-12-7, at 23:37, ext Puneet Agarwal wrote:
>> CAPWAP has the same ipv6 udp checksum problem as MBONED.
> 
> Right.
> 
>> You have
>> proposed a separate draft to modify rfc2460 so that one could set the
>> UDP checksum to 0 for IPv6 (ref
>> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mboned/current/msg00401.html ).
> 
> I think "proposed" is too strong. Magnus has said "it will be acceptable 
> to update RFC 2460 (...) under the following restrictions", which is 
> different.
> 
>> a) When do you expect rfc2460-modify draft to get published?
> 
> First, someone will need to spearhead this effort, and establish strong 
> community consensus that RFC2460 should be updated in this way. Then we 
> can talk about publishing such a draft.
> 
>> b) Would you recommend that CAPWAP also follow this new rfc2460-modify
>> draft?
> 
> Depends on how quickly you want CAPWAP to progress. Updating 2460 - if 
> consensus can be established on that, which is by no means certain - 
> won't be a quick affair.
> 

Hi,

Just to verify that I have seen this. I am sorry that I couldn't reply 
earlier computer breakdown, and vacations leading to backlog. I fully 
agree with Lars's response and doesn't really have anything to add.

I haven't seen any one claiming that they will take the pen on such an 
update yet.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap