Subject: Re: [Capwap] Issue 148: IANA Cleanup

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:13:34 -0700

I should have noted this was created as issue 148.

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) 
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Issue : IANA Cleanup

All,

In getting ready to send the latest version of the specs for
publication, I realized that the IANA considerations section still
needed to be finalized. I guess I was keeping the best for last, so I
have taken care of this in both specs, and I am including the text here
for both specs. Note that I am making the assumption that we need a
standards action for all number assignment.

<base spec>
15.  IANA Considerations

   A separate UDP port for data channel communications is (currently)
   the selected demultiplexing mechanism, and a port must be assigned
   for this purpose in Section 3.1.  The UDP port numbers are listed by
   IANA at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers.

   IANA needs to assign an organization local multicast address called
   the "All ACs multicast address" from the IPv6 multicast address
   registry in Section 3.3

15.1.  CAPWAP Message Types

   The Message Type field in the CAPWAP header (see Section 4.5.1.1) is
   used to identify the operation performed by the message.  There are
   multiple namespaces, which is identified via the first three octets
   of the field containing the IANA Enterprise Number [RFC5226].  When
   the Enterprise Number is set to zero, the message types are reserved
   for use by the base CAPWAP specification which are controlled and
   maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.2.  CAPWAP Header Flags

   The Flags field in the CAPWAP header (see Section 4.3) is used to
   identify any special treatment related to the message.  There are
   currently three unused, reserved bits.  These bits are controlled and
   maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.3.  CAPWAP Control Message Flags

   The Flags field in the CAPWAP Control Message header (see
   Section 4.5.1.4) is used to identify any special treatment related to
   the control message.  There are currently eight unused, reserved
   bits.  These bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires
   a Standards Action.

15.4.  CAPWAP Control Message Type

   The Type field in the CAPWAP Control Message header (see Section 4.6)
   is used to identify the data being transported.  The 32 bit
   enumerated values are currently defined in Section 4.5.1.1.  These
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.5.  Wireless Binding Identifiers

   The Wireless Binding Identifier (WBID) field in the CAPWAP header
   (see Section 4.3) is used to identify the wireless technology
   associated with the packet.  Due to the limited address space
   available, a new WBID request requires Standards Action.

15.6.  AC Security Types

   The Security field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is used to identify the authentication type available
   on the AC.  This document defines two bits, and the remaining bits
   are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.7.  AC DTLS Policy

   The DTLS Policy field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is used to identify the how, and if, the CAPWAP Data
   Channel is to be secured.  This document defines two bits, and the
   remaining bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

15.8.  AC Information Type

   The Information Type field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is used to represent information about the AC.  This
   document defines two values, and the remaining values are controlled
   and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.9.  CAPWAP Transport Protocol Types

   The Transport field in the CAPWAP Transport Protocol message element
   (see Section 4.6.15) is used to identify the transport to use for the
   CAPWAP Data Channel.  This document defines two values, and the
   remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

15.10.  Data Transfer Type

   The Data Type field in the Data Transfer Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.16) and Image Data message element (see Section 4.6.27)
   is used to provide information about the data being carried.  This
   document defines three values, and the remaining values are
   controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.11.  Data Transfer Mode

   The Data Mode field in the Data Transfer Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.16) and Data Transfer Mode message element (see
   Section 15.11) is used to provide information about the data being
   carried.  This document defines three values, and the remaining
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.12.  Discovery Types

   The Discovery Type field in the Discovery Type message element (see
   Section 4.6.23) is used by the WTP to indicate to the AC how it was
   discovered.  This document defines five values, and the remaining
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.13.  Radio Admin State

   The Radio Admin field in the Radio Administrative State message
   element (see Section 4.6.33) is used by the WTP to represent the
   state of its radios.  This document defines two bits, and the
   remaining bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

15.14.  Radio Operational State

   The State field in the Radio Operational State message element (see
   Section 4.6.34) is used by the WTP to represent the operational state
   of its radios.  This document defines two bits, and the remaining
   bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.15.  Radio Failure Causes

   The Cause field in the Radio Operational State message element (see
   Section 4.6.34) is used by the WTP to represent the reason why a
   radio may have failed.  This document defines four values, and the
   remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

15.16.  Result Code

   The Result Code field in the Result Code message element (see
   Section 4.6.35) is used to indicate the success, or failure, of a
   CAPWAP control message.  This document defines 23 values, and the
   remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

15.17.  Returned Message Element Reason

   The Reason field in the Returned Message Element message element (see
   Section 4.6.36) is used to indicate the reason why a message element
   was not processed successfully.  This document defines five values,
   and the remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and
   requires a Standards Action.

15.18.  WTP Board Data Type

   The Board Data Type field in the WTP Board Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.40) is used to represent information about the WTP
   hardware.  This document defines five values, and the remaining
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.19.  WTP Descriptor Type

   The Descriptor Type field in the WTP Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.41) is used to represent information about the WTP
   software.  This document defines four values, and the remaining
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.20.  WTP Fallback Mode

   The Mode field in the WTP Fallback message element (see
   Section 4.6.42) is used to indicate to the WTP the type of AC
   fallback mechanism it should employ.  This document defines three
   values, and the remaining values are controlled and maintained by
   IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.21.  WTP Frame Tunnel Mode

   The Tunnel Type field in the WTP Frame Tunnel Mode message element
   (see Section 4.6.43) is used to indicate the type of tunneling to use
   between the WTP and the AC.  This document defines four values, and
   the remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and
   requires a Standards Action.

15.22.  WTP MAC Type

   The MAC Type field in the WTP MAC Type message element (see
   Section 4.6.46) is used to indicate the type of MAC to use in
   tunneled frames between the WTP and the AC.  This document defines
   three values, and the remaining values are controlled and maintained
   by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

15.23.  WTP Radio Stats Failure Type

   The Last Failure Type field in the WTP Radio Statistics message
   element (see Section 4.6.48) is used to indicate the last WTP
   failure.  This document defines five values, and the remaining values
   are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

15.24.  WTP Reboot Stats Failure Type

   The Last Failure Type field in the WTP Reboot Statistics message
   element (see Section 4.6.49) is used to indicate the last reboot
   reason.  This document defines seven values, and the remaining values
   are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.
</base spec>

<binding spec>
10.  IANA Considerations

10.1.  CAPWAP Message Types

   This specification defines two new Message Types used in the CAPWAP
   header.  These values are defined in Section 3.

10.2.  CAPWAP Control Message Type

   This specification defines 27 new Message Types used in the CAPWAP
   header.  These values are defined in Figure 8.

10.3.  IEEE 802.11 Key Status

   The Key Status field in the IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN message element (see
   Section 6.1) and IEEE 802.11 Update WLAN message element (see
   Section 6.21) is used to provide information about the status of the
   keying exchange.  This document defines four values, and the
   remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

10.4.  IEEE 802.11 QoS

   The QoS field in the IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN message element (see
   Section 6.1) is used to configure a QoS policy for the WLAN.  This
   document defines four values, and the remaining values are controlled
   and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

10.5.  IEEE 802.11 Auth Type

   The Auth Type field in the IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN message element (see
   Section 6.1) is used to configure the IEEE 802.11 authentication
   policy for the WLAN.  This document defines two bits, and the
   remaining bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.

10.6.  IEEE 802.11 Antenna Combiner

   The Combiner field in the IEEE 802.11 Antenna message element (see
   Section 6.2) is used to provide information about the WTP's antennas.
   This document defines four bits, and the remaining bits are
   controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards Action.

10.7.  IEEE 802.11 Antenna Selection

   The Antenna Selection field in the IEEE 802.11 Antenna message
   element (see Section 6.2) is used to provide information about the
   WTP's antennas.  This document defines two values, and the remaining
   values are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a Standards
   Action.

10.8.  IEEE 802.11 Session Key Flags

   The Flags field in the IEEE 802.11 Station Session Key message
   element (see Section 6.15) is used to configure the session key
   association with the mobile device.  This document defines two bits,
   and the remaining 14 bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and
   requires a Standards Action.

10.9.  IEEE 802.11 Tag Packets

   The Tag Packets field in the IEEE 802.11 WTP Quality of Service
   message element (see Section 6.22) is used to specify how the CAPWAP
   Data Channel packets are to be tagged.  This document defines two
   bits, and the remaining 6 bits are controlled and maintained by IANA
   and requires a Standards Action.

10.10.  IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Fail

   The Type field in the IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Fail Alarm Indication
   message element (see Section 6.24) is used to provide information on
   why a WTP's radio has failed.  This document defines two values, and
   the remaining values are controlled and maintained by IANA and
   requires a Standards Action.

10.11.  IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Type

   The Radio Type field in the IEEE 802.11 WTP Radio Information message
   element (see Section 6.25) is used to provide information about the
   WTP's radio type.  This document defines four bits, and the remaining
   28 bits are controlled and maintained by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.
</binding spec>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:30:15 -0700

Sigh. The first paragraph about UDP ports shouldn't have been there. It
was removed when I addressed Issue 142.

PatC 

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) 
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] Issue 148: IANA Cleanup

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Issue : IANA Cleanup

All,

<base spec>
15.  IANA Considerations

15.6.  AC Security Types

15.7.  AC DTLS Policy

15.12.  Discovery Types

15.13.  Radio Admin State

15.16.  Result Code

15.20.  WTP Fallback Mode

15.22.  WTP MAC Type

<binding spec>
10.  IANA Considerations

10.4.  IEEE 802.11 QoS

PatC