Subject: [Capwap] binding doc. 802.11 wlan config req/resp msg type value issue

From: "Yong Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:24:13 -0700

In the capwap spec, it is said:

All Request messages have odd numbered Message Type Values,
   and all Response messages have even numbered Message Type Values.

   When a WTP or AC receives a message with a Message Type Value field
   that is not recognized and is an odd number, the number in the
   Message Type Value Field is incremented by one, and a Response
   message with a Message Type Value field containing the incremented
   value and containing the Result Code message element with the value
   (Unrecognized Request) is returned to the sender of the received
   message.  If the unknown message type is even, the message is
   ignored.

However, the two new messages defined in the binding doc. do not follow this:

   The valid message types for IEEE 802.11 specific control messages are
   listed below.  The IANA Enterprise number used with these messages is
   13277.

           CAPWAP Control Message                    Message Type
                                                        Value

           IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Request      3398912
           IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response     3398913

Yong
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:57:51 -0700

We will deal with this issue as part of the IETF Last Call process. I
have created Issue 150 to track it.

PatC 

-----Original Message-----
From: Yong Zhang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] binding doc. 802.11 wlan config req/resp msg type
valueissue

However, the two new messages defined in the binding doc. do not follow
this:

Yong