Subject: [Capwap] Issue 166: Various IANA Issues

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:01:19 -0700

Pasi's comment was:

   Section 15: Even if the well-known port numbers have already been
   allocated, it would be good to say they've been 
   allocated by IANA.

   Section 15: needs to cite RFC 5226 for the "Standards Action" policy.
   
   Section 15: RFC 5226 says that documents requesting creation of new
   registries MUST include certain instructions for 
   IANA (RFC 5226 Section 4.2) -- many of the details are currently
missing.

<text>
15.  IANA Considerations

   This section details the actions to be taken by IANA during the
   publication of the specification.  There are numerous registries that
   need to be created, and the contents, document action (see [RFC5226],
   and registry format are all included below.  Note that in cases where
   bit fields are referred to, the bit numbering is left to right, where
   the leftmost bit is labelled as bit zero (0).

15.1.  Multicast Address

   This document requires a new organization local multicast address
   called the "All ACs multicast address" from the IPv6 multicast
   address registry [to be removed upon publication
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses].  The new
   multicast address is to be inserted in Section 3.3.

15.2.  UDP Port

   This document requires a two UDP Ports organization local multicast
   address from the registered port numbers registry [to be removed upon
   publication http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers].  The new
   UDP Ports numbers have already been assigned and can be found in
   Section 3.1.  The following values are being registered:

Keyword         Decimal    Description                     References
-------         -------    -----------                     ----------
capwap-control  5246/udp   CAPWAP Control Protocol         This Document
capwap-data     5247/udp   CAPWAP Data Protocol            This Document

15.3.  CAPWAP Message Types

   The Message Type field in the CAPWAP header (see Section 4.5.1.1) is
   used to identify the operation performed by the message.  There are
   multiple namespaces, which is identified via the first three octets
   of the field containing the IANA Enterprise Number [RFC5226].

   IANA will create and maintain the CAPWAP Message Types registry for
   all message types whose Enterprise Number is set to zero (0).  The
   namespace is 32 bits (0-4294967295), where the value of zero (0) is
   reserved and must not be assigned.  The values one (1) through 26 are
   allocated in this specification, and can be found in Section 4.5.1.1.
   Any new assignments of a CAPWAP Message Type, whose Enterprise Number
   is set to zero (0) requires a Standards Action.  The format of the
   registry to be maintained by IANA has the following format:

           CAPWAP Control Message           Message Type     Reference

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 146]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

                                              Value

15.4.  CAPWAP Header Flags

   The Flags field in the CAPWAP header (see Section 4.3) is 9 bits in
   length and is used to identify any special treatment related to the
   message.  This specification defines bits zero (0) through five (5),
   while bits six (6) through eight (8) are reserved.  There are
   currently three unused, reserved bits which are managed by IANA and
   whose assignment requires a Standard Action.  IANA will create the
   CAPWAP Header Flags registry, whose format is:

           Flag Field Name                   Bit Position    Reference

15.5.  CAPWAP Control Message Flags

   The Flags field in the CAPWAP Control Message header (see
   Section 4.5.1.4) is used to identify any special treatment related to
   the control message.  There are currently eight (8) unused, reserved
   bits.  These bits whose assignment is managed by IANA and requires a
   Standards Action.  IANA will create the CAPWAP Control Message Flags
   registry, whose format is:

           Flag Field Name                   Bit Position    Reference

15.6.  CAPWAP Control Message Type

   The Type field in the CAPWAP Control Message header (see Section 4.6)
   is used to identify the data being transported.  The namespace is 32
   bits (0-4294967295), where the value of zero (0) is reserved and must
   not be assigned.  The values one (1) through 52 are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.5.1.1.  This namespace
   is managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the CAPWAP Control Message Type registry, whose format
   is:

           CAPWAP Message Element           Type Value       Reference

15.7.  Wireless Binding Identifiers

   The Wireless Binding Identifier (WBID) field in the CAPWAP header
   (see Section 4.3) is used to identify the wireless technology
   associated with the packet.  Due to the limited address space
   available, a new WBID request requires Standards Action.

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 147]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

15.8.  AC Security Types

   The Security field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is 8 bits in length and used to identify the
   authentication methods available on the AC.  This specification
   defines bits five (5) and six (6), while bits zero (0) through four
   (4) as well as bit seven (7) are reserved and unused.  These reserved
   bits are managed by IANA and assignment requires a Standards Action.
   IANA will create the AC Security Types registry, whose format is:

           AC Security Type                  Bit Position    Reference

15.9.  AC DTLS Policy

   The DTLS Policy field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is 8 bits in length and used to identify whether the
   CAPWAP Data Channel is to be secured.  This specification defines
   bits five (5) and six (6), while bits zero (0) through four (4) as
   well as bit seven (7) are reserved and unused.  These reserved bits
   are managed by IANA and assignment requires a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the AC DTLS Policy registry, whose format is:

           AC DTLS Policy                    Bit Position    Reference

15.10.  AC Information Type

   The Information Type field in the AC Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.1) is used to represent information about the AC.  The
   namespace is 16 bits (0-65535), where the value of zero (0) is
   reserved and must not be assigned.  The values four (4) and five (5)
   are allocated in this specification, and can be found in
   Section 4.6.1.  This namespace is managed by IANA and assignments
   require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the AC Information Type
   registry, whose format is:

           AC Information Type              Type Value       Reference

15.11.  CAPWAP Transport Protocol Types

   The Transport field in the CAPWAP Transport Protocol message element
   (see Section 4.6.15) is used to identify the transport to use for the
   CAPWAP Data Channel.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the
   value of zero (0) is reserved and must not be assigned.  The values
   one (1) and two (2) are allocated in this specification, and can be
   found in Section 4.6.15.  This namespace is managed by IANA and
   assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the CAPWAP
   Transport Protocol Types registry, whose format is:

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 148]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

           CAPWAP Transport Protocol Type   Type Value       Reference

15.12.  Data Transfer Type

   The Data Type field in the Data Transfer Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.16) and Image Data message element (see Section 4.6.27)
   is used to provide information about the data being carried.  The
   namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the value of zero (0) is reserved
   and must not be assigned.  The values one (1), two (2) and five (5)
   are allocated in this specification, and can be found in
   Section 4.6.16.  This namespace is managed by IANA and assignments
   require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the Data Transfer Type
   registry, whose format is:

           Data Transfer Type               Type Value       Reference

15.13.  Data Transfer Mode

   The Data Mode field in the Data Transfer Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.16) and Data Transfer Mode message element (see
   Section 15.13) is used to provide information about the data being
   carried.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the value of zero
   (0) is reserved and must not be assigned.  The values one (1) and two
   (2) are allocated in this specification, and can be found in
   Section 15.13.  This namespace is managed by IANA and assignments
   require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the Data Transfer Mode
   registry, whose format is:

           Data Transfer Mode               Type Value       Reference

15.14.  Discovery Types

   The Discovery Type field in the Discovery Type message element (see
   Section 4.6.23) is used by the WTP to indicate to the AC how it was
   discovered.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255).  The values zero (0)
   through four (4) are allocated in this specification, and can be
   found in Section 4.6.23.  This namespace is managed by IANA and
   assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the
   Discovery Types registry, whose format is:

           Discovery Types                  Type Value       Reference

15.15.  Radio Admin State

   The Radio Admin field in the Radio Administrative State message
   element (see Section 4.6.34) is used by the WTP to represent the
   state of its radios.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the
   value of zero (0) is reserved and must not be assigned.  The values

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 149]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

   one (1) and two (2) are allocated in this specification, and can be
   found in Section 4.6.34.  This namespace is managed by IANA and
   assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the Radio
   Admin State registry, whose format is:

           Radio Admin State                Type Value       Reference

15.16.  Radio Operational State

   The State field in the Radio Operational State message element (see
   Section 4.6.35) is used by the WTP to represent the operational state
   of its radios.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the value of
   zero (0) is reserved and must not be assigned.  The values one (1)
   and two (2) are allocated in this specification, and can be found in
   Section 4.6.35.  This namespace is managed by IANA and assignments
   require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the Radio Operational
   State registry, whose format is:

           Radio Operational State          Type Value       Reference

15.17.  Radio Failure Causes

   The Cause field in the Radio Operational State message element (see
   Section 4.6.35) is used by the WTP to represent the reason why a
   radio may have failed.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the
   value of zero (0) through three (3) are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.35.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the Radio Failure Causes registry, whose format is:

           Radio Failure Causes             Type Value       Reference

15.18.  Result Code

   The Result Code field in the Result Code message element (see
   Section 4.6.36) is used to indicate the success, or failure, of a
   CAPWAP control message.  The namespace is 32 bits (0-4294967295),
   where the value of zero (0) through 22 are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.36.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the Result Code registry, whose format is:

           Result Code                      Type Value       Reference

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 150]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

15.19.  Returned Message Element Reason

   The Reason field in the Returned Message Element message element (see
   Section 4.6.37) is used to indicate the reason why a message element
   was not processed successfully.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255),
   where the value of zero (0) is reserved and must not be assigned.
   The values one (1) through four (4) are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.37.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the Returned Message Element Reason registry, whose
   format is:

           Returned Message Element Reason  Type Value       Reference

15.20.  WTP Board Data Type

   The Board Data Type field in the WTP Board Data message element (see
   Section 4.6.41) is used to represent information about the WTP
   hardware.  The namespace is 16 bits (0-65535), where the value of
   zero (0) through four (4) are allocated in this specification, and
   can be found in Section 4.6.41.  This namespace is managed by IANA
   and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the WTP
   Board Data Type registry, whose format is:

           WTP Board Data Type              Type Value       Reference

15.21.  WTP Descriptor Type

   The Descriptor Type field in the WTP Descriptor message element (see
   Section 4.6.42) is used to represent information about the WTP
   software.  The namespace is 16 bits (0-65535), where the value of
   zero (0) through three (3) are allocated in this specification, and
   can be found in Section 4.6.42.  This namespace is managed by IANA
   and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA will create the WTP
   Board Data Type registry, whose format is:

           WTP Descriptor Type              Type Value       Reference

15.22.  WTP Fallback Mode

   The Mode field in the WTP Fallback message element (see
   Section 4.6.43) is used to indicate to the WTP the type of AC
   fallback mechanism it should employ.  The namespace is 8 bits
   (0-255), where the value of zero (0) is reserved and must not be
   assigned.  The values one (1) and two (2) are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.43.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the WTP Fallback Mode registry, whose format is:

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 151]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

           WTP Fallback Mode                Type Value       Reference

15.23.  WTP Frame Tunnel Mode

   The Tunnel Type field in the WTP Frame Tunnel Mode message element
   (see Section 4.6.44) is 8 bits and is used to indicate the type of
   tunneling to use between the WTP and the AC.  This specification
   defines bits four (4) through six (6), while bits zero (0) through
   four (4) as well as bit seven (7) are reserved and unused.  These
   reserved bits are managed by IANA and assignment requires a Standards
   Action.  IANA will create the AC DTLS Policy registry, whose format
   is:

           WTP Frame Tunnel Mode             Bit Position    Reference

15.24.  WTP MAC Type

   The MAC Type field in the WTP MAC Type message element (see
   Section 4.6.45) is used to indicate the type of MAC to use in
   tunneled frames between the WTP and the AC.  The namespace is 8 bits
   (0-255), where the value of zero (0) through two (2) are allocated in
   this specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.45.  This
   namespace is managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards
   Action.  IANA will create the WTP MAC Type registry, whose format is:

           WTP MAC Type                     Type Value       Reference

15.25.  WTP Radio Stats Failure Type

   The Last Failure Type field in the WTP Radio Statistics message
   element (see Section 4.6.47) is used to indicate the last WTP
   failure.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the value of zero
   (0) through three (3) as well as the value 255 are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.47.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA
   will create the WTP Radio Stats Failure Type registry, whose format
   is:

           WTP Radio Stats Failure Type     Type Value       Reference

15.26.  WTP Reboot Stats Failure Type

   The Last Failure Type field in the WTP Reboot Statistics message
   element (see Section 4.6.48) is used to indicate the last reboot
   reason.  The namespace is 8 bits (0-255), where the value of zero (0)
   through five (5) as well as the value 255 are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.6.48.  This namespace is
   managed by IANA and assignments require a Standards Action.  IANA

Calhoun, Editor, et al.  Expires January 31, 2009             [Page 152]

Internet-Draft        CAPWAP Protocol Specification            July 2008

   will create the WTP Reboot Stats Failure Type registry, whose format
   is:

           WTP Reboot Stats Failure Type    Type Value       Reference
</text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap