Subject: [Capwap] Please Read: RFC5378 and its implications

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:50:12 -0700

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise their WGs about
RFC5378 and its implications to post-5378 draft submissions:

In the IETF mailing list, there is a discussion currently in progress
about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft submissions. Briefly, RFC
5378 requires Contributors to grant a more expansive set of rights than
were granted by RFC 3978, and 4748. If you are submitting a document
which contains text contributed by others prior to the publication of
RFC 5378 you may need to obtain additional rights from the copyright
holders of that text in order to contribute under the 5378 terms.

The IESG and the IETF Trustees are working to resolve those issues (see
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Le
gal-Provisions.txt).

However, at present we would advise care prior to submitting any draft
which contains material derived from an RFC, draft, or mailing list
message published prior to November 10, 2008.

A more detailed description of RFC5378 implications and consideration is
available here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg54839.html

Should you wish to discuss this further - such discussion should be
addressed to the IETF discussion mailing list (not here).(" One mail
list for the discussion seems to be the most productive way to chart a
way forward." - RussH).

The current thread ("...The IETF Trustees invite your review and
commentson a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem") there is
focused on the short-term work-around.  (Discussion to the long-term
solution will come later) - a work-around is on the way. The work-around
should be in place to allow submissions to the San Francisco IETF well
before the normal deadlines.

CAPWAP status -

By the way, following this, at the request of at least one of the
authors, the three CAPWAP protocol drafts (the RFCs-to-be: 5415, -5416
and -5417) in the RFC-Ed queue have been requested to be placed on hold
until this matter is resolved by way of an early work-around from IETF,
under discussion in the IETF list.

Authors of any other incoming submissions, such as MIB draft revisions,
are advised as above.

-mani

=============

Mahalingam Mani

(408)321-4840 (w)

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap