Subject: CAT-WG Orlando meeting, quick summary

From: "Linn, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 06:41:02 -0500

[Full minutes to follow. Note: under pressure of time towards the end of the
session, no straw polls were taken to solicit sentiment for or aganst
progression of the extra-tgt, pk-recovery, and pgp-ticket drafts within the
CAT-WG.  Comments from WG members re possible progression of these drafts
are solicited to the list.]

The CAT WG met for one session at the Orlando IETF, with approximately 80
attendees.
IESG activities on WG documents were reviewed briefly (SNEGO to Proposed,
IDUP to Informational), and an action as proposed and discussed on the
mailing list to resolve a recently-detected GSSV2 misalignment in advance of
IESG submission was presented without objection. Significant discussion took
place in response to the recent PKINIT/PKCROSS Last-Call.  PKCROSS is to be
deferred pending resolution of an issue (also involving Kerberos-Revisions)
on usage of ticket extensions. PKINIT is to be restructured, with the
digital signature and private key storage facilities to be placed into
separate drafts.  Current "by-value" references to CMS constructs will be
replaced with references to the CMS draft. The "by-value" references will be
restored only if dictated by CMS' advancement schedule; it is planned that a
final determination will be made no later than the March 1999 IETF meeting.
A comparative presentation surveyed the relationship between GAA and XGSS
documents; approximately 15 attendees indicated interest in progressing
authorization activities within the CAT WG, and a GAA document revision is
planned. Revision and implementation work are also planned on the
Kerberos-Passwords draft. An update to the Kerberos-Revisions draft is
planned by mid-January, identifying deltas relative to RFC-1510 and also
addressing outstanding discussion re ticket extensions and ASN.1 encoding.
An update to krb5gss-mech2 is planned, once issues including name types are
discussed on the WG mailing list. Drafts were presented and discussed on
Kerberos extensions for additional initial encryption (extra-tgt), and on
public key usage for KDC recovery (pk-recovery).  A PGP Ticket draft was
presented to inform the WG and to solicit possible interest on its
advancement within CAT as an authorization mechanism.

--jl

==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]