Subject: Workshop on Countering Cyber-Terrorism

From: Clifford Neuman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:18:55 -0800 (PST)

Countering Cyber-Terrorism
			      June 22-23
		      Marina del Rey, California
      A workshop sponsored by the Information Sciences Institute
	       of the University of Southern California

			Call for Participation

Recent studies warn of Cyber-Terrorism and the vulnerability of our
computer systems and infrastructure to attack. These reports identify
damage that determined, knowledgeable, and well-financed adversaries
could inflict on commercial, government, and military systems.  Such
attacks would have severe consequences for the public, and in
particular the economy, which has become dependant on computers and
communications infrastructure.

The objective of this workshop is to identify things that should be
done to improve our ability to detect, protect against, contain,
neutralize, mitigate the effects of, and recover from cyber-terrorist
attacks.  Participants are sought from the computer security,
electronic commerce and banking, network infrastructure, military, and
counter-terrorism communities, as well as those with experience of
cyber-terrorist attacks.  Recommendations may suggest research and
development or operational measures that can be taken.  The workshop
is NOT a forum for presentation of the latest security systems,
protocols or algorithms.  The workshop will address the strategies,
framework, and infrastructure required to combine and incrementally
deploy such technologies to counter the cyber-terrorist threat.

Attendance will be limited to approximately 25 participants.
Participants will be selected on the basis of submitted position
papers that raise issues for the workshop to discuss, identify threats
or countermeasures, or propose strategies or infrastructure to counter
the threat of cyber-terrorism. Position papers should be four pages or
less in length.  Submissions should be sent in e-mail in Word or PDF
format, or as ASCII text to [email-masked].

Please check the web page http://www.isi.edu/cctws for more
information, including a position paper from the organizers which will
be available two weeks prior to the submission deadline.

Important Dates:

  Organizer's Paper Available              April  5, 1999
  Position Papers Due                      April 19, 1999
  Notification of Acceptance               May 1, 1999
  Revised Position Papers Due              May 28, 1999
  Position Papers Available on Web         June 9
  Workshop Dates                           June 22-23

Organizing Committee:

   Bob Balzer, Information Sciences Institute, [email-masked]
   Thomas Longstaff, CERT Coordination Center, [email-masked]
   Don Faatz, the MITRE Corporation, [email-masked] 
   Clifford Neuman, Information Sciences Institute, [email-masked]
==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]