Subject: RE: Comment on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-reqs-00.txt

From: "Varma, Eve L (Eve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:09:26 -0500

Stephen,  What you say makes alot of sense to me.
 
Eve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Stephen Shew
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Comment on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-reqs-00.txt

I was not able to be at the CCAMP meeting today but do have some comments on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-reqs-00.txt     
 
It seems that the goals of the draft could be accomplished more simply by adopting the layer architecture as defined in ITU-T Recommendations G.805 and G.809.  By doing this, the specific boundaries between TDM, LSC, etc. don't have to be articulated as they are just layer networks.  Also, the designation of TDM does not include the notions of the layers within that (e.g., DS3, STS-1, VC4, etc.) which are important to transport equipment.  Adopting the layer architecture also enables a client layer to be supported by an inverse multipling layer such as provided by Virtual Concatenation.  Here a layer of finer granularity is use to support a layer of coarser granularity.

Stephen Shew         Voice: 613-763-2462  Fax: 613-763-8385
Nortel - Optical Networks  email: [email-masked] 
P.O. Box 3511, Station C 
Ottawa, ON K1Y 4H7

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:25:22 -0000

Hi Eve,

As you know, those of us who do not work for ITU affiliate companies can only access three
ITU recommendations a year without paying for them. This makes it very hard for us to
consider all of the architecture documents.

I wonder if you could forward CCAMP a copy of G.809 (G.805 is well-known in this
community) so that we can include it in our discussions.

Thanks,
Adrian

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Varma, Eve L (Eve)" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Stephen Shew'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:09 PM
Subject: RE: Comment on draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-reqs-00.txt

> I was not able to be at the CCAMP meeting today but do have some comments on
draft-shiomoto-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-reqs-00.txt
>
> It seems that the goals of the draft could be accomplished more simply by adopting the
layer architecture as defined in ITU-T Recommendations G.805 and G.809.  By doing this,
the specific boundaries between TDM, LSC, etc. don't have to be articulated as they are
just layer networks.  Also, the designation of TDM does not include the notions of the
layers within that (e.g., DS3, STS-1, VC4, etc.) which are important to transport
equipment.  Adopting the layer architecture also enables a client layer to be supported by
an inverse multipling layer such as provided by Virtual Concatenation.  Here a layer of
finer granularity is use to support a layer of coarser granularity.