Subject: Consensus on value of PCE for inter-domain

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:11:35 -0000

Hi,

Thanks to those who responded.

What I think I am hearing is that many people, especially SPs, consider that PCE may be an
appropriate technique to solve some of the path computation issues associated with
inter-domain MPLS TE. It would, perhaps, be nice to hear from one or two more vendors on
this.

I also heard one or two reservations based (IMHO) on the fact that the PCE architecture
and applicability have not been fully thought-out and written down. Clearly we are not
asking for an absolute statement that PCE *WILL* be used in the inter-domain environment,
but we are looking for an opinion that PCE *MIGHT* be appropriate.

I will take this as input to the PCE BOF and as a commitment that if the PCE BOF leads to
a working group, CCAMP (as the WG responsible for inter-domain MPLS-TE) will help to
generate requirements for PCE in an inter-domain environment.

If anyone believes strongly that this is not the case, please speak up in the next couple
of days.

Thanks,
Adrian