Subject: RFC 3945 on Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:12:30 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3945

        Title:      Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
                    Architecture
        Author(s):  E. Mannie, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      69
        Characters: 166700
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-architecture-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3945.txt

Future data and transmission networks will consist of elements such
as routers, switches, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM)
systems, Add-Drop Multiplexors (ADMs), photonic cross-connects
(PXCs), optical cross-connects (OXCs), etc. that will use
Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) to dynamically
provision resources and to provide network survivability using
protection and restoration techniques.

This document describes the architecture of GMPLS.  GMPLS extends
MPLS to encompass time-division (e.g., SONET/SDH, PDH, G.709),
wavelength (lambdas), and spatial switching (e.g., incoming port or
fiber to outgoing port or fiber).  The focus of GMPLS is on the
control plane of these various layers since each of them can use
physically diverse data or forwarding planes.  The intention is to
cover both the signaling and the routing part of that control plane.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group of the IETF.  

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.