Subject: Incoming communication from OIF

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:32:39 +0100

Hi, 

We have received a communication from the OIF.
You can see it at http://www.olddog.co.uk/incoming.htm 

The text can be seen below. 

Note that there is no action required from us at this time, but if anyone 
believes there is any information we should send them. 

Adrian 

==========
To: Mr. Adrian Farrel, WG Co-Chair for IETF CCAMP
Mr. Kireeti Kompella, WG Co-Chair for IETF CCAMP 

Dear Sirs, 

The OIF would like to inform you that at the 1Q2005 OIF Meeting, a new 
project was initiated to document the OIF requirements for Neighbor 
Discovery. The scope of this project is as follows: 

This project is targeted to identify the attribute information that must be 
exchanged in order to support the automatic initialization of the control 
plane when new links are discovered. Identifying the requirements will 
require: 

1. Understanding Operational Scenarios where discovery will be used. While
automatic initialization will reduce the operations intervention required to
initialize new links, there may be cases where operators will not want 
discovery to automatically place links under the control of the Control 
Plane. Understanding the operational scenarios will allow for development of 
appropriate requirements. 

2. Identify the attributes required by the Control Plane for initializing 
links. When discovery is allowed to place links into the Control Plane, the 
attribute information required by the Control Plane functions for the link 
must be identified. Further, since the attributes of a link may change over 
time, it is necessary to identify what sort of change in attributes must be 
possible without requiring the link to be re-initialized. 

3. Identify and recommend solutions to the security issues that come from 
the discovery process exchanging Control Plane attributes. 

We intend to keep the ITU and IETF informed about this project and welcome 
your future cooperation. 

Thank you,
Jim Jones, OIF Technical Committee Chair
cc: Trey Malpass, Jonathan Sadler