Subject: Liaison to SG15 on RFC 4139

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:46:46 +0100

To: ITU-T Study Group 15
From: IETF CCAMP Working Group
Subject: New Request for Comment Published
For: Information

The CCAMP Working Group of the IETF wishes to inform Study Group 15 of the
ITU-T of the publication of a new Request for Comment.

RFC 4139 "Requirements for Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Signaling Usage and
Extensions for Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON)" is available
at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4139.txt

The Abstract of this RFC reads as follows.

   The Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) suite of
   protocols has been defined to control different switching
   technologies and different applications.  These include support
   for requesting Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) connections, including
   Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy
   (SDH) and Optical Transport Networks (OTNs).

   This document concentrates on the signaling aspects of the GMPLS
   suite of protocols.  It identifies the features to be covered by the
   GMPLS signaling protocol to support the capabilities of an
   Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON).  This document provides
   a problem statement and additional requirements for the GMPLS
   signaling protocol to support the ASON functionality.

The CCAMP Working Group would like to thank the members and Questions of
Study Group 15 for the helpful input and review feedback that they
provided while this document was being developed.

The CCAMP Working Group continues to actively pursue protocol solutions
for the ASON model and seeks to harmonise GMPLS and ASON. We will keep you
informed of our future progress.

Regards,
Adrian Farrel and Kireeti Kompella
CCAMP Working Group Co-chairs