Subject: RE: MS-SPring [Was: Moving forward with the CCAMP charter]

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:03:41 +0100

Dimitri,

"why (and where) ring topologies are suitable" ?

Transport networks (e.g. SONET/SDH, WDM, RPR) have been, and will continue to be, widely deployed based on (dual) ring topologies in the access/metro because they provide fast protection and reliability whilst making efficient use of fibre.

I do not think this can be disputed so I don't understand where you are coming from with this question?

Regards,
Richard

---

From: dimitri papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:43:17 +0200

richard,

> Transport networks (e.g. SONET/SDH, WDM, RPR) have been, and will
> continue to be, widely deployed based on (dual) ring topologies in
> the access/metro because they provide fast protection and reliability
> whilst making efficient use of fibre.
> 

while i do not see why this can't be discussed (e.g. there are dozens of 
studies available on this topic) and i can just point out that one can 
deliver fast (time efficient), resource efficient and reliable 
protection without using rings

therefore, it would worth having some operational feedback and state 
what are the real drivers and rationales if such topic is getting 
started i.e. what is the real appealing rationale behind this mechanism

note: these are just questions that i think where missing from most 
documents produced on this topic since so far and that are important to 
be addressed

last point you are mentioning RPR so what would be the interaction with 
the IPORPR WG ?

> Regards, Richard
> .