Subject: Document Action: 'A Transport Network View of the Link Management Protocol' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:04:31 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Transport Network View of the Link Management Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-transport-lmp-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-transport-lmp-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This memo describes the relationship of the 
   LMP procedures to 'discovery' as defined in the International 
   Telecommunication Union (ITU-T), and on-going ITU-T work. This 
   document provides an overview of LMP in the context of the ITU-T 
   Automatically Switched Optical Networks (ASON) and transport network 
   terminology and relates it to the ITU-T discovery work to promote a 
   common understanding for progressing the work of IETF and ITU-T. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The document has been reviewed by the WG, as well as ITU-T SG15,
   comments have been addressed. The WG had consensus on progressing
   this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Alex Zinin reviewed this document for the IESG.  

Note to RFC Editor
 
Section 1. NEW TEXT. Insert immediately after heading.

   ITU-T Recommendation G.8080 Amendment 1 [G.8080] and ITU-T
   Recommendation G.7714 [G.7714] provide definitions and mechanisms
   related to transport plane discovery.

   Note that in the context of this work, "Transport" relates to the data
   plane (sometimes called the transport plane or the user plane) and
   does not refer to the transport layer (layer 4) of the OSI seven layer
   model, nor to concept of transport intended by protocols such as the
   Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

   Special care must be taken with the acronym "TCP" which within the
   context of the rest of this document means "Termination Connection
   Point" and does not indicate the Transmission Control Protocol.