Subject: Questions on RSVPTE graceful restart

From: "Xie, Feng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:24:37 -0200

Hi, 

      I have the following questions on RSVPTE graceful restart:

1. Should a restarting router change the advertised Recovery Time during a
graceful restart recovery? Suppose a restarting router advertises t0 as the
recovery time after a restart. For any reason, should it advertise a
different value for the Recovery Time while it is still in a graceful
restart recovery? How about the RecoveryPath related flags (T/R/S) bits?

2. If a restarting router is allowed to change the advertised Recovery Time
during a graceful restart recovery, how should a helper react to such a
change? For example, support the advertised Recovery Time is changed from t0
to t1, should the helper extend/shrink the period when it is helping? If so,
should the helping period start from the time when the first hello is
received (and last for t1) or from the time when the first hello with the
new value is received (and last for t1)?

3. Have the class number of Capability object and the message type of
RecoveryPath (both are defined in draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-restart-ext-03) been
assigned?
 
     Thanks.

Feng Xie

---

From: Arun Satyanarayana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:21:00 -0800

Hi Feng,

Please see inline.

Regards,
Arun
==============================================================

> restart recovery? How about the RecoveryPath related flags (T/R/S) bits?

The processing of Recovery Time as advertised by the restarting node is
covered in the parent specs (RFC3471, RFC3473). This I-D does not change
the behaviour. Do you have a specific scenario/application where
changing the Recovery Time is useful?

Not sure what your question on T/R/S bits is.

> new value is received (and last for t1)?

Please see above.

> RecoveryPath (both are defined in draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-restart-ext-03) been

IANA assignments are done as part of the IESG review and approval
process - please refer to IETF Standards Track processing docs for more
info.