Subject: Protocol Action: 'Node ID based RSVP Hello: A Clarification Statement' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:28:31 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Node ID based RSVP Hello: A Clarification Statement '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-node-id-based-hello-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-node-id-based-hello-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello messages is implied in a number of
   cases, e.g., when data and control plan are separated, when TE links
   are unnumbered. Furthermore, when link level failure detection is
   performed by some means other than exchanging RSVP Hello messages,
   use of Node-ID based Hello session is optimal for detecting signaling
   adjacency failure for Resource reSerVation Protocol-Traffic
   Engineering (RSVP-TE). Nonetheless, this implied behavior is unclear
   and this document formalizes use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello session
   as a best current practice (BCP) in some scenarios. The procedure
   described in this document applies to both Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) capable nodes.

Working Group Summary
 
 The WG had consensus on progressing this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Alex Zinin.

Note to RFC Editor
 
 Abstract
Delete "as a best current practice (BCP)" as follows...
OLD
   Use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello messages is implied in a number of
   cases, e.g., when data and control plan are separated, when TE links
   are unnumbered. Furthermore, when link level failure detection is
   performed by some means other than exchanging RSVP Hello messages,
   use of Node-ID based Hello session is optimal for detecting signaling
   adjacency failure for Resource reSerVation Protocol-Traffic
   Engineering (RSVP-TE). Nonetheless, this implied behavior is unclear
   and this document formalizes use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello session
   as a best current practice (BCP) in some scenarios. The procedure
   described in this document applies to both Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) capable nodes.
NEW
   Use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello messages is implied in a number of
   cases, e.g., when data and control plan are separated, when TE links
   are unnumbered. Furthermore, when link level failure detection is
   performed by some means other than exchanging RSVP Hello messages,
   use of Node-ID based Hello session is optimal for detecting signaling
   adjacency failure for Resource reSerVation Protocol-Traffic
   Engineering (RSVP-TE). Nonetheless, this implied behavior is unclear
   and this document formalizes use of Node-ID based RSVP Hello session
   in some scenarios. The procedure described in this document applies to
   both Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS
   (GMPLS) capable nodes.