Subject: Proposed liaison to ITU-T on new RFCs

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:10:31 +0100

In the spirit of continued communication with Study Group 15 of the ITU-T
we need to send information about our recently published RFCs. The
following is a draft liaison that I would like to send in time for their
interim meeting in Kobe, Japan later this month.

Comments please.

Thanks,
Adrian

=====
To: ITU-T Study Group 15
From: IETF CCAMP working group
Cc: IETF Routing Area Directors
For: Information

Subject: Recently published IETF RFCs relevant to GMPLS, Optical Transport
Networks, and Packet Transport Networks

The IETF's CCAMP working group is pleased to inform Study Group 15 of the
ITU-T of the publication of several new RFCs that are relevant to the work
that you are doing with optical and packet transport networks. Several of
these RFCs received useful review and input from Study Group 15
participants for which CCAMP would like to express its thanks.

RFC 4257
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4257.txt
Title
   Framework for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (GMPLS)-based Control of Synchronous Digital
   Hierarchy/Synchronous Optical Networking (SDH/SONET) Networks
Abstract
   Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) is a suite of
   protocol extensions to MPLS to make it generally applicable, to
   include, for example, control of non packet-based switching, and
   particularly, optical switching.  One consideration is to use GMPLS
   protocols to upgrade the control plane of optical transport networks.
   This document illustrates this process by describing those extensions
   to GMPLS protocols that are aimed at controlling Synchronous Digital
   Hierarchy (SDH) or Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) networks.
   SDH/SONET networks make good examples of this process for a variety
   of reasons.  This document highlights extensions to GMPLS-related
   routing protocols to disseminate information needed in transport path
   computation and network operations, together with (G)MPLS protocol
   extensions required for the provisioning of transport circuits.  New
   capabilities that an GMPLS control plane would bring to SDH/SONET
   networks, such as new restoration methods and multi-layer circuit
   establishment, are also discussed.

RFC 4258
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4258.txt
Title
   Requirements for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
   Routing for the Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON)
Abstract
   The Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) suite of
   protocols has been defined to control different switching
   technologies as well as different applications.  These include
   support for requesting Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) connections
   including Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)/Synchronous Digital
   Hierarchy (SDH) and Optical Transport Networks (OTNs).

   This document concentrates on the routing requirements placed on the
   GMPLS suite of protocols in order to support the capabilities and
   functionalities of an Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON)
   as defined by the ITU-T.

RFC 4327
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4327.txt
Title
   Link Management Protocol (LMP) Management Information Base (MIB)
Abstract
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it describes managed objects for modeling the Link
   Management Protocol (LMP).

RFC 4328
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4328.txt
Title
   Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
   Signaling Extensions for G.709 Optical Transport Networks Control
Abstract
   This document is a companion to the Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (GMPLS) signaling documents.  It describes the technology-
   specific information needed to extend GMPLS signaling to control
   Optical Transport Networks (OTN); it also includes the so-called
   pre-OTN developments.

RFC 4394
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4394.txt
Title
   A Transport Network View of the Link Management Protocol (LMP)
Abstract
   The Link Management Protocol (LMP) has been developed as part of the
   Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) protocol suite to manage Traffic Engineering
   (TE) resources and links.  The GMPLS control plane (routing and
   signaling) uses TE links for establishing Label Switched Paths
   (LSPs).  This memo describes the relationship of the LMP procedures
   to 'discovery' as defined in the International Telecommunication
   Union (ITU-T), and ongoing ITU-T work.  This document provides an
   overview of LMP in the context of the ITU-T Automatically Switched
   Optical Networks (ASON) and transport network terminology and relates
   it to the ITU-T discovery work to promote a common understanding for
   progressing the work of IETF and ITU-T.

RFC 4397
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4397.txt
Title
   A Lexicography for the Interpretation of Generalized Multiprotocol
   Label Switching (GMPLS) Terminology within the Context of the
   ITU-T's Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) Architecture
Abstract
   Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS) has been developed
   by the IETF to facilitate the establishment of Label Switched Paths
   (LSPs) in a variety of data plane technologies and across several
   architectural models.  The ITU-T has specified an architecture for
   the control of Automatically Switched Optical Networks (ASON).

   This document provides a lexicography for the interpretation of GMPLS
   terminology within the context of the ASON architecture.

   It is important to note that GMPLS is applicable in a wider set of
   contexts than just ASON.  The definitions presented in this document
   do not provide exclusive or complete interpretations of GMPLS
   concepts.  This document simply allows the GMPLS terms to be applied
   within the ASON context.

RFC 4426
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4426.txt
Title
   Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
   Recovery Functional Specification
Abstract
   This document presents a functional description of the protocol
   extensions needed to support Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (GMPLS)-based recovery (i.e., protection and restoration).
   Protocol specific formats and mechanisms will be described in
   companion documents.

RFC 4427
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4427.txt
Title
   Recovery (Protection and Restoration) Terminology
   for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
Abstract
   This document defines a common terminology for Generalized Multi-
   Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)-based recovery mechanisms (i.e.,
   protection and restoration).  The terminology is independent of the
   underlying transport technologies covered by GMPLS.

RFC 4428
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4428.txt
Title
   Analysis of Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)-based
   Recovery Mechanisms (including Protection and Restoration)
Abstract
   This document provides an analysis grid to evaluate, compare, and
   contrast the Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)
   protocol suite capabilities with the recovery mechanisms currently
   proposed at the IETF CCAMP Working Group.  A detailed analysis of
   each of the recovery phases is provided using the terminology defined
   in RFC 4427.  This document focuses on transport plane survivability
   and recovery issues and not on control plane resilience and related
   aspects.

All IETF RFCs can be downloaded for free from http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

The current work plan and progress status of the CCAMP working group can
be viewed at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ccamp-charter.html

The CCAMP working group welcomes questions and discussion about all of its
work from individuals or organisations. The CCAMP mailing list is open to
anyone. Details of subscription can be found on the CCAMP charter page.

Regards,
Adrian Farrel and Kireeti Kompella
CCAMP working group chairs

---

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 06:33:09 -0500

I like your subtle (hint, hint) approach.

Jerry 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:11 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Kireeti Kompella'; Bill Fenner; Ross Callon; Scott Bradner
Subject: Proposed liaison to ITU-T on new RFCs

In the spirit of continued communication with Study Group 15 of the
ITU-T
we need to send information about our recently published RFCs. The
following is a draft liaison that I would like to send in time for their
interim meeting in Kobe, Japan later this month.

Comments please.

Thanks,
Adrian

=====
To: ITU-T Study Group 15

Subject: Recently published IETF RFCs relevant to GMPLS, Optical
Transport
Networks, and Packet Transport Networks

The IETF's CCAMP working group is pleased to inform Study Group 15 of
the
ITU-T of the publication of several new RFCs that are relevant to the
work
that you are doing with optical and packet transport networks. Several
of
these RFCs received useful review and input from Study Group 15
participants for which CCAMP would like to express its thanks.

RFC 4257

RFC 4258

RFC 4327

RFC 4328

RFC 4394

RFC 4397

RFC 4426

RFC 4427

RFC 4428

All IETF RFCs can be downloaded for free from
http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

The CCAMP working group welcomes questions and discussion about all of
its
work from individuals or organisations. The CCAMP mailing list is open
to
anyone. Details of subscription can be found on the CCAMP charter page.

Regards,