Subject: call for papers: 1st IEEE International Workshop on Bandwidth on Demand (BoD 2006)

From: Richard Rabbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:21:20 -0700

Apologies for possibly receiving multiple copies of this CFP.

Call for Papers

1st IEEE International Workshop on Bandwidth on Demand (BoD 2006)
http://www.csg.unizh.ch/events/bod06/

In conjunction with IEEE GLOBECOM 2006
http://www.ieee-globecom.org/2006/

November 27, 2006
San Francisco, California, USA

Scope

Electronic marketplaces for trading bandwidth have emerged since the
late 1990’s, but were seriously hit by the economic downturn in 2001.
The promise of instant bandwidth availability had led to the development
of market mechanisms that companies used to trade bandwidth just as
other commodities. However, those trading markets all but disappeared
with the bursting of the telecom bubble. Driven by the recent technical
advances in telecommunications and the new potentials of emerging
peer-to-peer (P2P) and next generation networks (NGN), the goal of this
workshop is to take a fresh and innovative look at the concept of
bandwidth on demand (BOD).

Recent advances in the Internet-based communications domain, in which
the support of Quality-of-Service and diverse application services
become possible, require in many cases short-termed bandwidth
assignments for, e.g., large sporting events or cultural open air
activities. In addition, the support of bandwidth trading in a fully
decentralized and secured manner, e.g., based on P2P schemes, shows
further advantages in terms of reliability and scalability for
large-scale systems.

Topics of Interest

The workshop seeks original papers in the following four areas that
serve as basis for bandwidth on demand:

* Economic studies and modeling of market and business models in carrier
and service provider networks
o Game theoretical bandwidth-on-demand models
o Cost and revenue models
o Bandwidth-on-demand business models
o Market liquidity aspects

* Technical design of scalable, reliable, and cost-effective bandwidth
trading infrastructures, including market mechanisms as a way to
increase efficiencies
o Scalable market mechanisms
o Secure and reliable market infrastructures
o Bandwidth trading mechanisms
o IP-based and decentralized trading mechanisms
o P2P trading infrastructures, distributed markets
o P2P auctions

* Legislative and regulatory issues related to the Telecom Act and in
comparison to other commodities markets such as the electric grid
o Telecom legislation
o Telecom regulation
o Commodities markets

* Industrial developments of new technologies that facilitate or create
impediments to bandwidth on demand
o Network management aspects
o Technical improvements in transport and data networks

Paper Submissions

Papers are solicited as full papers (in English), of no more than 8
single-spaced pages, each of which will be subject to a full review 
process.

Submissions must be in PDF and will be handled using the JEMS system.
Please refer to http://www.csg.unizh.ch/events/bod06/ for further
submission instructions or contact [email-masked] for additional
information. Those papers accepted will be published in proceedings with
an ISBN number.

Important Dates

* Paper registration deadline: September 14, 2006
* Extended submission deadline: September 21, 2006
* Notification of acceptance: October 15, 2006
* Final versions of papers due: October 31, 2006
* Workshop date: November 27, 2006

Committees

General Co-chairs
* Takeo Hamada, Fujitsu Laboratories of America, USA
* Burkhard Stiller, University of Zurich and ETH Zurich, Switzerland
* Jean Walrand, UC Berkeley, USA

PC Co-chairs
* Richard Rabbat, Fujitsu Laboratories of America, USA
* David Hausheer, University of Zurich, Switzerland

Technical Program Committee
* Panayotis Antoniadis, LIP6, France
* Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking, USA
* Georg Carle, University of Tuebingen, Germany
* Costas Courcoubetis, AUEB, Greece
* György Dán, KTH, Sweden
* Vasilios Darlagiannis, EPFL, Switzerland
* Zoran Despotovic, DoCoMo Euro-Labs Muenchen, Germany
* Chris Edwards, Lancaster University, UK
* Adrian Farrel: Old Dog Consulting / IETF CCAMP Working Group Chair
* Oliver Heckmann, TU Darmstadt, Germany
* Rahul Jain, UC Berkeley, USA
* Charis Kaskiris, UC Berkeley, USA
* Dave Marples, Telcordia, USA
* Michael Menth, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
* Huw Oliver, Bristol, Research Consultant, UK
* Lyndon Ong, Ciena, USA
* Aiko Pras, University of Twente, The Netherlands
* Giancarlo Ruffo, University of Torino, Italy
* Vik Saxena, Comcast, USA
* Vishal Sharma, Metanoia, Inc, USA
* Kohei Shiomoto, NTT Labs, Japan