Subject: RE: Some questions on LMP

From: "Bardalai, Snigdho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:09:55 -0600

All:
CC: Jonathan P. Lang
 
I had sent these questions on LMP some time back. I have'nt heard
any response since. I am anxious to get some response.
 
Thanks,
Snigdho

________________________________

From: Bardalai, Snigdho
Sent: Tue 10/24/2006 7:17 PM
To: ccamp
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Some questions on LMP

Hi,

I have a few questions on LMP. Would like to hear back some opinions on
these.

First question -

Section 9 on "Addressing" mentions that a Config message over a
non-point-to-point
link (which could mean an ethernet link), must be sent with the
destination IP set to
the unicast IP address of the neighboring node.

Considering a scenario where there are 2 nodes that has mutliple
control-channels
1) an out-of-fiber one over a non-point-to-point link
2) an in-fiber one over a point-to-point link

Since there is no guarantee that the Config message with the unicast
destination IP address
meant for control-channel 1) will not get routed out on the
point-to-point link what
measures should the neighboring node take to properly map the Config
message to the
correct instance of the control-channel ?

Next question -

Does RFC4204 consider network reconfiguration scenarios ? For example,
if graceful
restart is enabled control-channel re-establishment is done using the
unicast IP address
of the neighboring node in the Config message that was recovered from,
say, the non-volatile
storage database. At what point in time will the Config message
destination IP address
switch to the multicast IP address (assuming the control-channel is over
a point-to-point
link) ?

Last question -

Graceful restart requires the following (extracted from Section 8):

   If, however, the node was not capable of retaining
   the LMP link information across a restart, the node MUST accept the
   data link parameters of the received LinkSummary message and respond
   with a LinkSummaryAck message.

Should a node not capable of retaining any information across a restart
respond with a LinkSummaryAck in case link verification is enabled ?
The issue is the information that is being accepted may not be correct.

Thanks,
Snigdho